Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Bit Torrent?

Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I believe like Art was saying that if you are in the P2P-bussiness for longer than BT's uprising you still have the notion of true sharing ... meaning to get to know people who had/have the same intrests you have and inevitably ending up discussing the various aspects of file-sharing. This creates a bond that goes beyond filesharing, friendships are forged that last for many years.

The fact the BT-scene is so fucked up (I truly believe it is one of the shittiest P2P environments), is because BT became the P2P-method of the masses. Many years ago P2P was a 'marginal' phenomenon, but with the arrival of the BT-protocol it became available to the masses. Many people start out in huge tracker-populations and don't feel the need to be part of any community whatsoever.

Also, in the days of Kazaa and emule there was a lot less elitism, because the population wasn't as big as it is now.

BT is just a reflection of everydays life...the majority is self-centered, egoistic, and just cares for themselves. You can't blame them entirely ... they never did know the true spirit of sharing. They start out at these massive trackers where personal friendships hardly exist and you are just one of the 100000 members that use the tracker. It is only after some time they get to know the tight knit communities where you get to meet the true 'sharing' crew ... that not only share their files, but also find it pleasant to be able to chat with people about everything involving BT and the various methods of filesharing, and even personal issues are adressed.

Lately every nitwit from whatever part of the world uses BT and get's involved in the invite-hunt what results in a mass of 'filesharers' that only care about sharing with themselves.
    Can you feel the LOVE

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Disme View Post
    I believe like Art was saying that if you are in the P2P-bussiness for longer than BT's uprising you still have the notion of true sharing ... meaning to get to know people who had/have the same intrests you have and inevitably ending up discussing the various aspects of file-sharing. This creates a bond that goes beyond filesharing, friendships are forged that last for many years.

The fact the BT-scene is so fucked up (I truly believe it is one of the shittiest P2P environments), is because BT became the P2P-method of the masses. Many years ago P2P was a 'marginal' phenomenon, but with the arrival of the BT-protocol it became available to the masses. Many people start out in huge tracker-populations and don't feel the need to be part of any community whatsoever.

Also, in the days of Kazaa and emule there was a lot less elitism, because the population wasn't as big as it is now.

BT is just a reflection of everydays life...the majority is self-centered, egoistic, and just cares for themselves. You can't blame them entirely ... they never did know the true spirit of sharing. They start out at these massive trackers where personal friendships hardly exist and you are just one of the 100000 members that use the tracker. It is only after some time they get to know the tight knit communities where you get to meet the true 'sharing' crew ... that not only share their files, but also find it pleasant to be able to chat with people about everything involving BT and the various methods of filesharing, and even personal issues are adressed.

Lately every nitwit from whatever part of the world uses BT and get's involved in the invite-hunt what results in a mass of 'filesharers' that only care about sharing with themselves.
    I could have made a lengthy post in this thread to bore everyone with, but then I discovered Disme had pretty much said it all for me already.

Top post, agree with every word.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Lovestoned's Avatar #Indie BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Napster, Limewire and then BitTorrent.

Nowadays I get my files from What and I frequent their forum the most compared to other ones nowadays.

If I didn't go to any forums or IRC of the trackers I would most likely just get my scene content off RapidShare.com as a premium member just like how Usenet people do it but even easier.

One thing that keeps me from that would be something like What, with each album encoded in V0 from CDDA > V0 or FLAC > V0.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by Disme View Post
    That is correct .. But how many have just joined the P2P scene or even the ones that are 2 yrs in to it .. For them this notion of community is Archiac and redundant cuz they just cant understand the value of it .. Then they come around and open BT related utterly crap forums and claim a community in that or better yet they make trackers and market them as community ones .. Its just this hypocrisy that grinds my gear ..
    Last edited by apextwin146; 03-06-2009 at 05:03 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I believe I used Kazaa once or twice a long time ago. Of course my computer got infected, so then I stopped.

So till a couple of years ago, I got movies, games and music from friends. I found out it wasn't a good system as most of them liked the new stuff and I mostly like the old (in all three categories). So I googled to find the best way to get this kind of stuff. The answer I found on several forums was unanimous: bittorrent. So I started with public trackers. Soon I found ''open signups threads'' and managed to join some private trackers.

Like all you guys have said, BT has some problems and I quickly found that out, as most people there didn't treat me equally, cause my ratio was low (still above 1, though). The reason: seedboxes and teenagers as pointed out. This is why I still don't like to use tracker forums a lot (just on some of the better sites like PTN, from time to time I post in a forum of a site where I'm not an active poster to see what responses I get) and why I mostly hang out in invite forums, which I found only last year. Then I came here cause I heard this forum was big, so I was looking for discussions just like this one.

I still use BT cause with joining more trackers (even those harder to get) I've learnt that it can be very secure and that's important to me.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    james223's Avatar t0rrents BT Rep: +1
    Torrents are great, especial when on private trackers. Its ease in downloading content. Using various RSS feeds for auto downloads. The torrent forum and irc community's are good and I regularly visit them.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    b3owulf's Avatar facepalm.jpg
    1st p2p experience was eMule 2 years ago. Yeah, low speed, waiting, dupes, fakes, viruses... I've forgotten bout it. The friend of mine introduced me to the world of BT, and I fell in love with it. 100 Mbit speeds, great content, some awesome communites - this was all I've dreamt of. No dupes, no lo-quality stuff, only fresh and spicy HQ content!

Now I'm active torrenter and I have all trackers I want except of *special one*. Hope I day I'll get it, and now i will contunue to seek for it

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    prasannab13's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    started with BT and continuing with it because it is damn easy

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I chose BT a few years ago only because that was the method of downloading that was introduced to me. And I was in love with this method and used only it for all my downloading for the first couple years. And eventhough I still belong to a very few choice trackers, and still actively use them, I've found my self gravitating more and more to warez forums and newsgroups for a lot of my downloading during this past year or so. Because of their security and ease of use.

I think in time, I may eventually pretty much stop using bittorrent altogether and solely use the other methods that I mentioned for all my downloading. But then again, maybe not. There are a couple trackers that I simply love, and for a lot of reasons, would hate to be without.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    MaximumEdge's Avatar Member

Question Mark

I got into Bit Torrent simply because it was the easiest and cheapest option. I almost tried using Newsgroups but I found out that I have to pay additional monthly fees on top of what my ISP is already charging. I also started through BBSing and still remember tinkering with Wildcat and Hyperterminal. Nevertheless, I still find myself grabbing some singles/mp3s from Limewire, just in case I don't want to get stuck with a crappy album.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast