Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Bit Torrent?

apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    People please explain to me why you choose BT as the medium of sharing/leeching files ..
    Is it because it presents you a community atmosphere to download the files or is it that its just more convenient to download stuff using uTorrent or the whole Level game is very hard to resist ..

What is ur main intention when u join a tracker ? Is it not to just download the files?

While we are at it please tell me how many of u have meaningfull conversations/discussion in tracker forums on a regular basis ..

Lastly which do u prefer FST or ur Tracker Forums ..

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I started out with Kazaa, and later emule.

Kazaa was infested with virii and other shite, emule was to damn slow.
    I started BT many years ago and noticed speeds were, even at that time, unparalelled on the trackers I was a member.

Gradually I abandonned emule completely (except for the occasional very old file), and chose for BT.
    I like a tracker based on it's content, speeds and retention ... that's why i still like TL very much. Later I started with the 'very' private trackers where the focus is not only on the files, but also on the community.
    I've had some very interesting conversations in tracker-forums (not the rate that ass-kind) and met some very nice people in BT-forums (including FST).

I prefer some tracker-forums over FST, because they are much smaller and most people know each other and the members are picked out based on knowledge and common sense mainly.

But I still visit FST, so i guess I also like the occasional discussion here.
    Can you feel the LOVE

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    I take it this thread is in response to my last comment in another thread ?
    I will answer you from my own point of view. I started with filesharing back with BBS systems and was a node on Fidonet so of course got to know the small communities that were the BBS I helped run and the others that I was a member of. In those days the groups were alot smaller and there were more requests from individual members, but the principle was very similar to the private bt trackers.
    I used alot of the Gnutella network based filesharing systems including iMesh the original Soulseek, Frostwire, Limewire and also used emule and ED2K networks but many fake files and viruses later I started using bt. I met a group of people along the way that I consider friends as we share the same interests, and thus they have wanted me to be a member of some of the private communities they belong to.
    But to answer your original question for me bit torrent and the private communities are similar to the kind of filesharing I started out with and I for one genuinely enjoy some of the communities (not all) it depends on the make up of users on the site. As for FST it is interesting but the BT section and its subforums at least are quite immature, with many keyboard warriors insulting other members to feel better about themselves, so there are definitely other places I enjoy more.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    because it was the most readily available

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    because it is so god-damned good!

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    merwais's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Unstable1 View Post
    because it is so god-damned good!
    +1

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I take it this thread is in response to my last comment in another thread ?
    I will answer you from my own point of view. I started with filesharing back with BBS systems and was a node on Fidonet so of course got to know the small communities that were the BBS I helped run and the others that I was a member of. In those days the groups were alot smaller and there were more requests from individual members, but the principle was very similar to the private bt trackers.
    I used alot of the Gnutella network based filesharing systems including iMesh the original Soulseek, Frostwire, Limewire and also used emule and ED2K networks but many fake files and viruses later I started using bt. I met a group of people along the way that I consider friends as we share the same interests, and thus they have wanted me to be a member of some of the private communities they belong to.
    But to answer your original question for me bit torrent and the private communities are similar to the kind of filesharing I started out with and I for one genuinely enjoy some of the communities (not all) it depends on the make up of users on the site. As for FST it is interesting but the BT section and its subforums at least are quite immature, with many keyboard warriors insulting other members to feel better about themselves, so there are definitely other places I enjoy more.
    That explains your point of view very well .. I understand now how sharing for you started and evolved .. You started out early and evolved in a communistic way which required dedication and work from your end and was not just about downloading .. Now because there people helped out each other the community like entity was built over a period of time .. Now thats perfectly acceptable as you knw these guys and worked with them,helped and recieved help which strengthened this whole entity .. This is possible in only very small numbers and only if u reallly very involved in this ..
    The only thing is not everyone started out like this .. See from replies that are here BT is mostly choosen because its easier .. Every new user that starts out chooses BT as he has just download the torrent file and get it done with ... No extra effort required .. Most of em just care abt getting their stuff and utilizing it .. BT is the choosen choice cuz its simple and u really dont need to help out .. the idea of community to these people is more of forum and IRC basedwhere if ur active in any form just counts as a active community .. In these the whole notion of community is misplaced which is what i am really against .. You cant open up a tracker / Invite forum and say we have a strong community just a year after opening it up .. These things are build up and its the hypocrisy surrounding these that i am against ..
    My mind is not working properly today so i can t give out a proper response though i have tried my best ..

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    i won't say how exactly i came to start use BT, but that's just say the cops raided a datacenter in france and took our site down, so we had to stay low profile for a while.
    then, i got interested why some members wanted to leak so much our contents to the P2P, what motivated them, why the need, why they raced it.
    got a hold of some invites to 0-day sites and start wondering around them, mostly to fish seedbox IPs and compare them to some of the members there to see if the leak was ours. so i actually had to torrent to get into the swarm, and seed back to keep my membership at the sites.
    then we were raided, and i wanted to stay away from affils etc, so actually started full time torrenting.
    the community side of it is in 99% of the cases pure hypocrisy. i actually didn't believe in it until some months ago i joined a place where people share and care, and that is probably the most unique community sharing experience out there. there are some copycats wannabes but those guys are oldskool people.
    the biggest problem in the BT scene is a bit what happened with the racers, they are mostly pubescent kids with too much time in their hands and lack of social skills.
    and this is their world, and they live by it like if there was no tomorrow. that's when the fanatics show up and screw all that.

i prefer forums like FST, big ones, because variety is what brings life to a place. when the places are too small, people tend to over-agree with each other and the discussions quickly die or run out of intervenients.

people completely lost the notion of what's a community by definition.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    kondrae's Avatar Trance BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Same as Disme.

went from kazaa to emule to bittorrent.

in p2p, bittorrent is on top, and its inevitable, you'll end up using it

when the next p2p protocol takes the throne, we all will migrate to it

Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    no_bother's Avatar Village Troll BT Rep: +4
    I went from kazaa to emule to limewire and then to bittorret. I like to keep up with the times. and trolling forums is fun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast