Thread: Newspost

222MHz's Avatar Poster
    For the Linux bunch that run into this thread...

Newspost

Currently it only supports automagically creating par and not par2 files, but if you've come this far that should be no sweat off your back.. I saw an email on a bug tracking list discussing some interesting features that could be implemented.

After installing, you'll need to generate the ~/.newspostrc file containing all the default values such as your news server, login information, email (probably fake) and few other things.. The man page has somewhat descent documentation. Give it a look over for all options you might want to include.
    -i,-z,-u,-p,-f,-F,-o,-n,-w,-m,-x,-q,-y,-B,-l,-X,and -k can be set.

Running newspost with the -d switch will generate this file for you.. Here is an example.

Code:
    newspost -d -i news.astraweb.com -z 119 -u username -p ur_password -f ur_email@address -F 'Your Name' -q -y
    Now once again, with the -d tossed in there all were are doing is generating the ~/.newspostrc so we can forget about all that login crap and what not.. Also have a look at the man page to decide if you'd like to include the -e or -c.. -e will post a plain text file containing the same subject line and the lines that will follow, however it will list the file part as 0/21 or whatever.. And the -c will generate a .sfv file.

So now that everything is set up we'll go ahead and post a test file to a.b.test with this..

Code:
    newspost -n alt.binaries.test -s 'Test Post for FileSharing Talk.com' /location/of/foo/bar/*.mp3
    What we end up with is a post to the group that will look something like this...
    Code:
    Test Post for FileSharing Talk.com- File 1 of 3: "track01.mp3" yEnc (01/12)
    Remembering that newspost does not create par2 files, but can post anything. If your clever and know how to use some *.globing techniques, you can get away with posting all .rar .par2 all in one shot. Have a look at BASH, and it's man page.

So, there is also a built in -T switch you can toss in to set it to launch at a specific time say 10 minutes or whatever. I prefer to use newspost in conjunction with the command at. This way I can set it, forget about it and then receive system mail when it executes.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    Thanks for the info 222MHz. I always just used Jbinup but have been thinking of giving a cmd line poster a try. This is just the tut. I will need to get started.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    222MHz's Avatar Poster
    Glad to be of some assistance.. It took me a few minutes to figure it all out when I first installed it.. Ended up printing the man page and circling things I thought I would need, then writing it all out making sure it would do what I expected.

I had started to reply to the member asking for the poster in another thread, but it was a M$ thing and I didn't have anything constructive to add. So I figured I'd write this up.. As new features (if ever) are added, I'll be posting a follow-up. Perhaps I'll try to get in touch with either the original author, or a recent maintainer for one of the packaged distribution and see if I can find out where this thing is headed. I for one prefer to do things from the cmd line if it's just going to sit there and run forever unattended.
    Last edited by 222MHz; 03-07-2009 at 09:10 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.