Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Death penalty for white-collar crime?

pentomato's Avatar Above the sun
    It is funny these holy rollers are against abortion, but they don't care about killing people when they are in jail, expecially minorities, you steal a pizza three times in some places, three strikes and you are out in jail for life, this one is funny.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pentomato View Post
    It is funny these holy rollers are against abortion, but they don't care about killing people when they are in jail, expecially minorities, you steal a pizza three times in some places, three strikes and you are out in jail for life, this one is funny.
    yea i dont understand this 3 strikes rule like u said is it possible to go to life in prison for stealing 3 pizzas?? If so seems pretty pathetic 2 me.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    It's pathetic, but, in some places such as California you do that stupid crime three times and you are out, well the idea started as a means to put as many minorities in jail as possible.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by rytheguy View Post
    Is this a serious question? I mean, I have yet to form an opinion one way or the other on the death penalty, but certainly it should never be used for white collar crimes...
    Yes, it's a serious question and why "never" for white collar crime?

Focus for a minute on one of the principle arguments for the death penalty- deterrence.
    Much has been made about how useless deterrence might be when considering the "average" criminal.
    Acting in the heat of the moment or driven by compulsion (i.e., addiction), consequences are probably the last thing this type of criminal is thinking about.

On the other hand, Madoff- and his ilk...Ken Lay, the leaders of Tyco and Worldcom- are the very definition of "malice aforethought".
    Their crimes are not spur of the moment but the result of long term planning (in Madoff's case, decades) with very specific intent.

Keep in mind that in death penalty states, "unintended consequences" apply.
    In other words...you're the getaway driver in a liquor store robbery.
    During the commission of said crime, your partner- the guy actually in the store- shoots and kills the clerk.
    Both the shooter and the driver are held equally culpable and are both subject to the death penalty.

In the Madoff case there are already two suicides (that I'm aware of) directly tied to Madoff's actions and the future consequences will take a long time to be fully revealed.

Furthermore, unlike the uneducated, poor, socially deprived crack addict-type criminal, people like Madoff are completely capable of appreciating the consequences of their actions.
    Thus, "deterrence" might actually be more applicable in their case(s) than usual.

Over the past few decades we've seen an increasing number of large scale financial crimes.
    Enron, Tyco, Worldcom, Madoff...obviously, the penalties for such crimes lag behind the breadth and complexity involved.

So, why NOT apply extreme measures to white collar crime?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    ry-the-guy
    I just don't think it's fair to put someone to death for stealing, no matter how many people are affected or how much was stolen because money and other material possessions are replaceable. Additionally, I'm sure white collar criminals don't really care about the possible consequences of their actions anyway because they don't anticipate ever being caught. Making the penalties more severe isn't going to stop them if that's the case.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    For financial crime, hit them where it hurts.

Make them destitute, homeless and tattoo their crime on their forehead so no one will give 'em a job.

Sorry to be so Liberal, like.

But I still think it would be kinder to execute politicians than pay them. They can't help what they are, but we shouldn't be financing their habit nor encouraging them to re-produce.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    I just don't think it's fair to put someone to death for stealing, no matter how many people are affected or how much was stolen because money and other material possessions are replaceable.
    Oh?
    What if you're 75 and the stolen funds represent a lifetime of savings and work?
    How do you replace that?
    Additionally, I'm sure white collar criminals don't really care about the possible consequences of their actions anyway because they don't anticipate ever being caught. Making the penalties more severe isn't going to stop them if that's the case.
    Given that logic, NO punishment is effective since I doubt any criminal anticipates getting caught.

OK then.
    Ignore the "deterrence" argument.
    If you allow that there are any crimes that deserve the death penalty (bin Laden? Ted Bundy?), why not Madoff or Lay?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    I have to agree with the notion that white collar crime is not punished harshly enough, since these white collar crimes can destroy 1000's of lives with one reckless act. But nonetheless i do not feel it should be punished by death, but just very long jail sentences with all their assets stripped.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Villalltheway View Post
    ... white collar crimes can destroy 1000's of lives with one reckless act.
    But that's just it...it isn't "one reckless act", it's a premeditated scheme that can go on for years.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    That's why the call it WHITE, a crime only done by white men and of course they get away with it, if a minority stole a quarter they would be in jail for a very long time.
    Money walks and bullshit talks, ins't it like that?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast