Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Death penalty for white-collar crime?

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I'm thinking Bernie Madoff and the like, like.
    That sounds fair, if you're gonna have the death penalty at all, for people who murder and that.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I'm thinking Bernie Madoff and the like, like.
    That sounds fair, if you're gonna have the death penalty at all, for people who murder and that.
    Thanks, Snee.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced View Post
    State sanctioned murder.

I lose track of how many miscarriages of Justice are carried out that we find out about.
    I was just poking about in here and felt an urge to resurrect this thread and give it wee skew...

Two things:

Apart from it's vague and sloppy construction, the last sentence of Brother Rat's post compels me to ask whether 1) if the predicate assumption is innocence on occasions of the aforementioned "miscarriage(s) of justice", and 2) if opacity in the process...the "that we find out about" part - is a hindrance to public knowledge/opinion - transparency being the preferrence, here - how do things change if, instead of capital punishment, we are speaking of abortion?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Sorry I found this thread so late, it's a good topic that I considered not too long ago.

I am all for what clocker has had to say.

The vast majority of people who lost their savings were retired/elderly people who have no ability to recover from the loss. Every year, elderly people die in both the hottest and coldest days of the seasons. This is because they cannot afford the necessary cost of heat or air conditioning.

These same people must weigh the decision of whether or not to buy food.

So, yeah. I don't imagine we will ever know how many deaths can be directly attributed to "white-collar" crime, but I am sure it is a contributing factor. And those who die from it suffer long-term facing the elements of high and low temperatures, and insufficient nutrition.

Whatever penalty is imposed by The State, whether life in prison, or execution, will be far more gentle than those who die from poverty.

We hear about the thousands of people who have lost their life savings at the hands of these "white-collar" criminals and assume that all will be made right. That doesn't happen. Those who lose everything are left out in the cold. Literally.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 12-20-2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake. I know how important proper spelling is around here...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    Yeah, Clocker's posts are pretty spot-on.

Sometimes it's uncanny, the way he thinks like me...

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Ah, a right-handed complement.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345