Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kimsufi L Speed?

Hi, im bumping this thread cus i cannot create my own, i bought a kimsufi L couple of days ago (not reseller, directly from ovh) and i was expecting to get at least 8-10 mb/s of upload after the last bandwithd policy change, but so far i've never seen my torrents upload go above 3 mb/s, and not even that is stable, i'd say average is maybe 1.5 mb/s, with 12 torrents (most of them are big) and on a well known private tracker. I have no problems downloading at 8 mb/s from the same tracker (i limited it to avoid overload issues). Speedtest gives me 91 down 70+ up.
    I'd like to know if this is normal or something is wrong with my server.
    I'm using ubuntu desktop 8.04 and i've tried utorrent and ktorrent, and yes, im connectable, at least utorrent says so.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by nocturna; 05-01-2009 at 03:23 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    I had a similar problem it was coming from my wine version, once it hit about 1 MB p/sec upload it would drop the client I was uploading too... could download at full speed though.

I had to compile a new version of wine at the time (this was 6 months ago)...

Just setup a new seedbox with debian and am having no problems now, 10 up & down... the wine thing could be something to look into.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Thanks.. but ktorrent doesnt use wine and i get the same speeds... i dont rly feel like changing OS again t_t
    btw when i do wine --version it only says 1.0, isnt the latest version 1.1.16 or something ? for some reason synaptic says it is the latest version. Whats the best wine version to use with utorrent 1.8.2 ? If i should update it, how can i do it ? also, i dont actually see "peers dropping", the numbers of connected leechers are stable, but it doesnt look like it connects to many of them even tho i have 100% of the torrents... im getting 5 mb/s from only one torrent atm cus i have connected to like 50 leechers out of 80, but the other torrents i dont have many leechers connected for some reason, maybe thats the problem ?
    Last edited by nocturna; 05-01-2009 at 03:14 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    I'm running 1.0.1-174 if it helps.... not sure what much else you can do sorry mate

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    You definitely don't want Wine 1.0, that is a version with that critical bug. If you don't use utorrent tho it doesn't really matter.

Have to remember, seedboxes are not always gonna output their full 100mbit. Sure when we first get them we are all excited to be seeding at 10mB/s, but it's really not that super. There are so many variables that affect speed... most the times you will only average half your max upload.

Connections are a big part of it. As an uploader on sites my connection will max out since I'm the only seeder, but as people start completing it speeds will go down, even if peer number stays the same. Downloaders who use home connections are very limited to what they can take in, they also take some from all seeders and also leechers that have some pieces, not just you alone. If you really wanna max out then get a bunch of big swarmed torrents with low seed/high leecher count.

Also, trackers where users don't use seedboxes are awesome lol. I'm on one Asian media tracker and I'm in the top 3 total share with 21TB. Like 99% of them use home connections so it's super easy for me since I really have no "competition"
    Last edited by Ichigo81; 05-02-2009 at 01:42 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    yea i guess you are right... i managed to upload a new torrent at 7 mb/s for a couple of minutes but thats it, now they are all back to 1 mbit max lol. Thanks anyway

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    FYI, I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 (and now, on one server, 9.04) and, after apt-getting ubuntu-desktop (started with the server version), then wine, then µTorrent, I was good to go. Pushing several MB/s up with no problem though the server isn't in OVH. No, I'm not telling you where I have my VPS...look on WebHostingTalk.

I have another box where they don't allow µTorrent so I grabbed transmission-cli instead. With a webserver (nginx) I'm hovering around 175 MB of RAM used. Transmission isn't the most efficient client out there, but it's fast and, since it doesn't need a GUI on the server (WebUI only) the net effect is a whole lot less RAM usage.

Just throwing a few things out there

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    funnily enough ive got the same package and am having trouble with upload speeds and peers not being able to connect.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillhead View Post
    funnily enough ive got the same package and am having trouble with upload speeds and peers not being able to connect.
    Update wine or try deluge if the peers are dropping, i had that problem too at first. Anyways i guess my average is 1-3 mb/s, but i find it weird, if its a brand new torrent i can push 8 mb/s, but only for a couple of minutes, once there are more seeds my upload drops alot... maybe its normal, but im seeding like 40 torrents atm and im not going over 3 mb/s

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    im usiung u torrent and windows 2003 but will be going to ubuntu i think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12