Thread: par2 files :(.

Just to start I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to ask.

But I have tried downloading several games and every single one never seems to download properly. For some reason the repair part seems to be the problem. There is never enough repair blocks to fix the problems.

Also whenever I download rars+par2's they never seem to be 100% there. For instance Vol058+20.par2 should have 20 repair blocks, but I only get 9-16 (varies). And my rar's never seem to be complete either, out of around 5 games I have tried all that are recent, there hasn't been a single part that was 100% and fine.

Not sure if having 20 connections going at the same time (no error messages) is the problem as if its not finializing the downloads or something?

Please any input would be greatly appreciated! Can't seem to find anyone else have this problem.

p.s I have used QuickPar and the built in repair'n'extract in Newsleecher, both have the same problems.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Depends, I get it alot, and I only use 2 connections, Newsleecher normally doesn't do that to me...and it will repair it for me to. Just re-download the part that is messed it up and see if it works.
    [center]

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Wish it was that simple, downloading a game with 2 connections takes like 7hours , and its every part that seems incomplete, =/.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    If that's the case it's either old or not on the server, like never made it, I've cam across that before, yes I know about 2 connections, this is what I run. Search all the major search engines for NZB's and see if there is another release. What's your news host? If it's not Astraweb or Giganews, what's the retention rate?
    [center]

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    your using news service provided by your isp im guessing?
    Last edited by dutchmaster420; 03-15-2009 at 08:59 AM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchmaster420 View Post
    your using news service provided by your isp im guessing?
    That would be my hunch to. Maybe worth trying something like nzbval to check if the posts is available on your server. If you are using your ISP server I strongly suggest you decide on upgrading to a premium news provider. I still see people bitching in the text groups about alt.binaries hierarchy has been removed from their free accounts.

Life in the fast lane usenet freak

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    222MHz's Avatar Poster
    I would also agree this seems to be incomplete data from the server. I would suggest picking up a premium account with astraweb or the like.

A while back I had easynews and would run into this periodically. Once I made the move to astraweb it all went away.

Another thing you might want to look into is the author of the posts. It is possible that he/she is not properly par2'ing rar'ing their stuff. I know on linux running par2create defaults to only 5% and at least 10% is custom.

For reference from the man page. Note -s307200 = 300x1024 and -r10 = 10%
    Code:
    To create 10% recovery data instead of the default of 5%
    and also to use a block size of 300 KB, you would use the following command:

par2 create -s307200 -r10 test.mpg

So if you find your still getting these missing block errors from different authors, then that would also suggest the server is lacking the data.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Just found this in another thread, I guess just run you NZB through it and the server your using, and it will tell you for "sure" it's complete or not....haven't tested it, jut grabbed it a few minutes ago.

http://www.newsgroupdownloaders.com/nzbval/
    [center]