Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Astraweb upgrades retention to 365 days

Beenieman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    I'm thinking of leaving giganews to save myself some money and even returning to torrents but before I do I was just wondering what I can expect speed wise rfom my 50MB connection on astraweb?
    Rent this space

2. Newsgroups   -   #42
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I'm on a 1gbit home connection in Sweden and I pull around 18-25MB/s with 20 threads, so I would guess that u should have no probs pulling 50Mbits from UK... I know a lot of ppl who have 100Mbit+ here and every1 maxes out..

3. Newsgroups   -   #43
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beenieman View Post
    I'm thinking of leaving giganews to save myself some money and even returning to torrents but before I do I was just wondering what I can expect speed wise rfom my 50MB connection on astraweb?
    I'm guessing that 50Mb connection is with Virgin Media? I've heard of a few people being able to max it out (47-49Mb/s) with astraweb, so you should be able to.
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 05-17-2009 at 09:20 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #44
    Quote Originally Posted by UsenetGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beenieman View Post
    I'm guessing that 50Mb connection is with Virgin Media? I've heard of a few people being able to max it out (47-49Mb/s) with astraweb, so you should be able to.
    Yup Virginmedia .. So yeah before I head back down the torrent root I'm going to give Astraweb a try at beggining of next month when my giganews runs out and see how it goes.

Thanks for advice.

Rent this space

5. Newsgroups   -   #45
    astraweb's plans are quite nice.
    i would have joined giganews, but then discovered that their prices are only valid for a month...
    astranews here i come.

6. Newsgroups   -   #46
    My my month is up at giganews so gonna try astraweb out tonight.
    Rent this space

7. Newsgroups   -   #47
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    You won't regret it, make sure you take off "auto recycle" on your Giganews account or they will go ahead and charge you for another month
    [center]

8. Newsgroups   -   #48
    I guess Astraweb is saving money to be able to do this by closing down their support. Or has the support always sucked? It's been soon over 1 week ago I sent my question to them.
    There's a Swedish ISP (fiberlan) here that's always been cheapest. They hardly ever answer emails and it's hard to contact them by phone. They aren't exactly liked and first choice when selecting ISP. Astraweb seems to be like them, cheapest but crap support.
    Last edited by Quasit; 04-29-2009 at 07:35 AM.

9. Newsgroups   -   #49
    222MHz's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasit View Post
    I guess Astraweb is saving money to be able to do this by closing down their support. Or has the support always sucked? It's been soon over 1 week ago I sent my question to them.
    There's a Swedish ISP (fiberlan) here that's always been cheapest. They hardly ever answer emails and it's hard to contact them by phone. They aren't exactly liked and first choice when selecting ISP. Astraweb seems to be like them, cheapest but crap support.
    I have never had a problem... Fire off another email?

10. Newsgroups   -   #50
    Why should I have to spam them to make them answer? I hate to be forced to do that.
    Ok, let's see if they bother to answer this time. My bet is they ignore me again. Btw, I'm not being rude or angry in my "tickets". It's a simple normal question about adding groups.

"You will receive a response to your problem within 24 hours during the periods when our support staff are available"
    HA! Right. That's bullshit.

edit: What a response Astraweb! You merged my two tickets. Lol. Answer expected next year or so?
    Last edited by Quasit; 04-30-2009 at 06:47 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast