Thread: help creating torrents on seedbox

CPC464's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    hi, just wondered if anyone could help me.

i have a seedbox using rtorrent and i control it mostly via the wtorrent frontend webgui, though i sometimes use putty to dl torrents from filelist.

i am trying to crete torrents with files i have located on my seedbox without having to dl them to my pc first.

i have read that i can use mktorrent via putty which i have now installed on my seedbox, i have a mktorrent directory on my seedbox with al the relavent files.

i have tried mktorrent --anounce=<url> --name=<name> <folder> in putty, obvoiously replacing the recent info but i just get

-bash: mktorrent command not found

if any body could give please give me detailed info on what to do it would be much appreciated

thanks

also rtorrent isn't my choice seedbox is set up by whatbox project so please dont just tell me to use utorrent
    Last edited by CPC464; 03-15-2009 at 11:29 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Moved to SB section

You would have to access your server using VPN. Then you could download VNC and do it that way. Now if the content you wish to make into a torrent is on your machine then you will have to upload it via FTP and that could take a while if you have a slow home connection.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    CPC464's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Moved to SB section

You would have to access your server using VPN. Then you could download VNC and do it that way. Now if the content you wish to make into a torrent is on your machine then you will have to upload it via FTP and that could take a while if you have a slow home connection.

i dont want to dl the files to my pc at all, the content i want to make into a torrent is on my seedbox

e.g i download a file from one tracker, i want to create a torrent for the files and upload them to a different tracker while still on my seed box. i dont have remote desktop access so need to do it via ssh/putty unless theres another way i dont know about.

i jsut need some sort of tutorial
    Last edited by CPC464; 03-16-2009 at 12:25 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by CPC464 View Post
    -bash: mktorrent command not found
    You need to install mktorrent; since you have shell access it should be possible.

mktorrent is available here:

http://mktorrent.sourceforge.net/

xirvik

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    i have tried to install it already, thought i had.

cd
    wget ftp://borg.uu3.net/pub/unix/mktorren...rent-0.9.9.tgz
    tar xzvf mktorrent<tab>
    cd mktorrent<tab>
    make

i have a mktorrent folder on my seedbox and a few mktorrent files. i am just a bit lost for what to do next
    Last edited by CPC464; 03-16-2009 at 09:34 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Instead of this

mktorrent --anounce=<url> --name=<name> <folder>

Try

mktorrent/mktorrent --anounce=<url> --name=<name> <folder>

i.e help the shell a bit by telling where mktorrent is :-)

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    i give up, getting

mktorrent: Unknown option

now

thanks for your help anyway

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by CPC464 View Post
    i give up, getting

mktorrent: Unknown option
    This is an error in the parameters to mktorrent. But at least it's being executed properly.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    hey sorted now mktorrent wasn't installed correctly,

just one thing the torrent file created is quite big. i have tried -bs <size>

but i get option error --b

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    dashboardy's Avatar teh sex0r BT Rep: +1
    The default piecesize in mktorrent is small - 256 KB i believe. Try this syntax:

Code:
    mktorrent -a http://tracker.org/announce.php -p -l 21 -o NameOfRelease.torrent NameOfRelease/
    the -a is announce URL; is equivalent to --announce=
    -p is privacy flag
    -l 21 is piecesize of 2 MB, will make the .torrent significantly smaller
    -o is to name the .torrent to whatever u specify
    NameOfRelease/ is the directory of the torrent you are trying to make. Note that you have to be in the parent directory of the NameOfRelease/ folder for this part of the syntax to work. If you're not, use the full path to the torrent data.