Thread: Operating Sstem Not Found

My COMPAQ PRESARIO 1250 LAPTOP SAYS "OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND" AFTER I TURN IT IN.... HERE IS THE STORY

... So i have Win2k on my computer and I want to put xp on it. SO i boot the computer up witht he win2k cd and i go through all that crap till i get to the area where i can delete partition. So i delleted the partition with WIN2K on it and all that is left is "UNFORMATTED PARTITION". So i don't do anythign to it and i shut off the laptop and turn it back on (With the Windows XP CD [That i got off of kazaa] inside)
    And it just says Operating System Not Found. Whenever i push a button it just comes up again... "Operating System not found. So i go into bios and say boot from
    1)CD
    2)Floppy
    3) Hard Drive

then
    1)Floppy
    2)CD
    3)Hard Drive

then
    1) Hard Drive
    2)CD
    3)Floppy

But everytime i change it, I still get Operating System not found. I read on the internet that it could be my wires got lose on the inside. But i dunno. Could it be that is not booting from anywhere?

Help me Please.

PS: I have tried boot disks: Win 98 Win ME all 4 Win2k and even WinXP

sorry about all the space i used.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    You have to format the drive(NTFS) then install xp.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Try using a boot disk, format the drive and the put the install CD in again - if you're getting that error, it's not reading from your hard drive. You don't need to do all this before installing XP, it would have asked you during the installation if you wanted to do it.

Edit: Shad0w Hacker - you beat me to it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    You dont need a boot disc, just put the install disc of XP. Make it install and it will ask you to format the drive, pick NTFS for the format.

@NikkiD gusse i am to fast for ya

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I don't think the computer is recognising the xp cd it might be corrupt or something. Try getting it to read the win2k cd and if that works then you know its the xp cd thats screwed and you'll have to redownload it. (Oh and don't forget to change the boot order back to whatever it was at first, because if i understand what you said about how you deleted the partition then that setup of boot order was correct)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    if you deleted your primary partition with win2k on it you will need to run fdisk again and set an active partition

but you cant do that coz none of your drives work so just ignore me

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    PAiNKiLLER
    Is your hard disk detected?

Image Resized

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by supastylin@20 September 2003 - 19:55
    My COMPAQ PRESARIO 1250 LAPTOP SAYS "OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND" AFTER I TURN IT IN.... HERE IS THE STORY

... So i have Win2k on my computer and I want to put xp on it. SO i boot the computer up witht he win2k cd and i go through all that crap till i get to the area where i can delete partition. So i delleted the partition with WIN2K on it and all that is left is "UNFORMATTED PARTITION". So i don't do anythign to it and i shut off the laptop and turn it back on (With the Windows XP CD [That i got off of kazaa] inside)
    And it just says Operating System Not Found. Whenever i push a button it just comes up again... "Operating System not found. So i go into bios and say boot from
    1)CD
    2)Floppy
    3) Hard Drive

then
    1)Floppy
    2)CD
    3)Hard Drive

then
    1) Hard Drive
    2)CD
    3)Floppy

But everytime i change it, I still get Operating System not found. I read on the internet that it could be my wires got lose on the inside. But i dunno. Could it be that is not booting from anywhere?

Help me Please.

PS: I have tried boot disks: Win 98 Win ME all 4 Win2k and even WinXP

sorry about all the space i used.
    If you downloaded that Xp from kazaa then you fucked. There's no way to get back unless you have a system recovery cd. The problem is when you download an operating system it need's certain registry file's from the computer uploaded from.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by McLaren@22 September 2003 - 18:43
    The problem is when you download an operating system it need's certain registry file's from the computer uploaded from.
    No! And where did you get an idea like that?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    directly out of his ass.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free