Thread: My Kazaa Lite ++ Is So Fast....

For all the n00bs who have to search through each thread to find a really good tip or solution to your problem using KL++. So, starting here, is the QUICK, SIMPLE and BEST TIPS you'll see in this forum. Members, feel free to add your tips in Best Tips Here... in bullit point if possible. thx. n00bs, 99% of the question/"problem" you have has been posted and provided a solution for it. Please go through these tips, the links on my signature and search the forum. If all fails and feel that your question/"problem" is new to this board, then post your question/"problem" case accordingly in the Kazaa Lite Related threads thx. MODS/ADMINS/MEMBERS, feel free to send me a PM with any correction. thx

INDEX
    1. KL++ TOP 20 MOST REPEATED QUESTIONS, "PROBLEMS" AND "CONCERNS" KL++ USERS TALK ABOUT, YET MISS/FAIL TO SEARCH THE BOARD TO FIND THE POSTED ANSWERS/FACTS
    2. HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT YOUR PC? (Guide)
    3. DEFAULT SETTINGS IN KL++ THAT DO NOT NEED TO BE CHANGED
    4. HOW TO DOWNLOAD FASTER? (example 1)
    5. HOW TO DOWNLOAD FASTER? (example 2)
    6. HOW TO DOWNLOAD FASTER? (example 3)
    7. HOW TO DOWNLOAD FASTER? (example 4)
    8. HOW TO TEST WHY YOU CAN ONLY DOWNLOAD FROM ONE USER?
    9. HOW TO DO A CLEAN INSTALL AFTER EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS WITHOUT SOLUTIONS?
    10. HOW TO KNOW IF YOUR DOWNLOAD IS A FAKE BEFORE IT FINISHES?
    11. HOW TO AVOID FAKE MUSIC FILES? (two examples)
    12. HOW TO RESTART DEAD DOWNLOADS?
    13. HOW TO RESOLVE CODECS PROBLEMS? (one example)
    14. HOW TO DELETE STUBBORN FILES?
    15. HOW TO ELIMINATE BIG PROBLEMS WITH SMALL PROGRAMS?
    16. HOW TO BLOCK ADS AND MAINTAIN THE SUPERTRICK (hosts file - example 1)
    17. HOW TO BLOCK ADS AND MAINTAIN THE SUPERTRICK (hosts file - example 2)
    18. HOW TO BLOCK ADS AND MAINTAIN THE SUPERTRICK (hosts file - example 3)
    19. HOW TO SPEED-UP YOUR IP RESOLVING IN THE SUPERTRICK (hosts file)
    20. HOW TO STOP SPAM VIA WINDOWS MESSENGER SERVICE
    21. HOW TO TWEAK THE REGISTRY SETTINGS FOR MAXIMUM PROTECTION FROM NETWORK ATTACK
    22. ONE LINERS THAT CAN HELP YOU RESOLVE/UNDERSTAND YOUR PROBLEM
    23. HELPFUL LINKS
    RELATING POSTS: comming soon...Also a seperate guide for OS will be included

RESULTS WILL VARY
    No matter how good your systems may be, they're only as effective as what you put into them.

CREDIT/OTHER: ALL TIPS WHERE COMPILED FROM POSTS ON THIS BOARD AND MY HUMBLE EXPERIENCE. IN ADDITION, THEY ARE BASED ON YOU USING THE LATEST SOFTWARE VERSION OF THE PROGRAM DISCUSSED

KL++ TOP 20
    MOST REPEATED QUESTIONS, "PROBLEMS" AND "CONCERNS" KL++ USERS TALK ABOUT, YET MISS/FAIL TO SEARCH THE BOARD TO FIND THE POSTED ANSWERS/FACTS:
    1. KL++ keeps saying "connecting" and doesn't connect
    2. Why do the songs I download have this screeching noise in it?
    3. Corrupt Download- how to correct corrupt download?
    4. Where Are My Files?
    5. Participation Level-Can it go over 1000?
    6. KL++ has major bugs, I'm sure of that.
    7. Playing Music And Video-files-Kazaa is not playing my files!
    8. Can't Choose A Supernode!
    9. Only One User?-I am the only user logged on!
    10. Whats The Best Port Connection?
    11. Avi Preview-won't play the movies
    12. Why Do My Files Never Get Shared?
    13. Can I Search For A User?
    14. Kazaalite.kpp Is Trying To Send Email?
    15. The Red Cross Problem-firewall problem?
    16. I keep getting red x's in my search results. What does it mean?
    17. What do I do with a .bin file?
    18. I have a high speed internet connection, why are my downloads so slow?
    19. When a file has many sources, why do I end up downloading from only two?
    20. I just activated my Kazaagold, how do I connect?
    Note: Links to the above list will be provided soon to better assist you. thx SH, EJ, Lam & MM

RELATING POSTS: Kazaa Lite Board -> Kazaa Lite Related

RESULTS WILL VARY
    No matter how good your systems may be, they're only as effective as what you put into them.

HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT YOUR PC? (Guide)

The challenge with a problem is not so much the solution but figuring out what the actual problem is. For instance: if your internet connection is lost you might automatically assume it's a problem your ISP, yet the problem might actually be a cable connection problem, a corrupted software file, a conflict with another software program running at the same time, a virus or any number of other problems. By doing some basic troubleshooting you can effectively identify problems and get farther down the path to an actual solution. Also, if you need to call a manufacturers help-line, the call will be much more productive if you've done some troubleshooting before hand.

Before you do anything:

Check your mental state and don’t panic! My personal theory to computer problems is that there is a direct connection between the amount of stress a user is under and the number of times a computer will crash. Chances are that when you are in a rush to get a document out the door, you will forget to close open applications, or to save your work and you will send too many commands (like printing, spell-check, etc.) at once. If you're moving fast on the computer, it pays to take a moment, take a deep breath, close unnecessary programs and save your work. Also, if you're trying to solve a problem that your computer is having, you will need full mental capabilities. So if you're feeling frustrated and tired while trying to troubleshoot - take a break! You’ll find you’ll solve your problems much faster if you have a fresh mind and attitude. Don’t panic either. Sometimes computer problems can appear to be much more serious than they really are. Panicking can lead you to jump to a solution of a perceived problem before you’ve actually identified the real problem.
    1. Some initial steps:
      1. Check the component's documentation and/or the manufacturer's website: The appendix of most manuals will contain a troubleshooting guide that will identify the most common problems the component may have. Most software installations include placing a readme file in the programs directory that will list all known incompatibilities. Manufacturer websites can be extremely helpful as well, with support pages that will direct you to common problems and solutions that may include a software "patch" that can be downloaded directly from the site and then run on your hard drive
      2. Check for Viruses: Any strange behavior on a computer could be due to a virus. Use an anti-viral program to scan your system - and follow the instructions on the use of the anti-viral program closely
      3. Use diagnostic utilities: Software crashes can often be caused by corrupted files or registry conflicts. Using a program like Window's Scan Disk (found under System Tools in the Accessories folder on your program menu) can identify and fix corrupted files. Norton Utilities has a program called "System Check" that both checks the integrity of your files and looks for software conflicts and will repair problems
    2. If none of those steps work - it's time to use your brain!
      1. Ask yourself - when did the problem I’m experiencing first start? If you made any change, such as installing new software or adding hardware, to the computer and now you are having a problem, chances are the change is the cause. Also, while you're trying to identify problems and solutions remember to make only one change to your system at a time, so you can easily trace your steps.
      2. Determine if the problem is repeatable or if it is intermittent: A repeatable problem is one that occurs all the time, or always in response to a specific user action
        • For example, if the computer crashes everytime you print a document - that’s a repeatable problem
        An intermittent problem will appear to happen spontaneously or randomly. An intermittent problem is usually the result of a specific set of circumstances happening occasionally. With these problems it is important to try to establish a pattern involved in the problem. Keep a problem log at the computer and try to write down all the circumstances occurring when the crash occurred, including the most minute detail.
      3. Use the process of elimination: Start to remove components from your system one at a time. After you remove a component test to see if the problem still exists. This is a great way to figure out if the problem is caused by a conflict between software programs and/or hardware. Start by removing the most recently installed stuff first
    3. Some Final Tips:
      1. If you call the helpline - be patient and prepared: You will have to wait on hold awhile to get to get an actual person on the phone. Like death and taxes that's just a fact of life. If you can review all the troubleshooting steps you took to identify the problem, the technical assistance operator will be able to identify the solution more quickly and effectively
        • Remember: if you get a technical assistance operator on the line don't hang up until you're sure the problem has been solved
      2. If the equipment is new, send it back: Most equipment is under warranty and if there is anything severely wrong with it, you should send it back. This may not help your immediate goal, but it will save you plenty of time in the long run. If the equipment is under warranty, the vendor will deal with it
    The most important thing to remember while troubleshooting is to be patient and observant. By using these steps you should easily be able to resolve even the most inexplicable problems

RELATING POSTS: comming soon...

RESULTS WILL VARY

DEFAULT SETTINGS IN KL++ THAT DO NOT NEED TO BE CHANGED:
    The purpose of this list is simple, many new users, for whatever reason they change some of these settings that could affect their download/upload speed or their privacy protection.
    1. Username - These are not unique
    2. Email - Fake e-mail address
    3. Country - This setting is not important
    4. Shared Folder - If you change your download location and have some unfinished downloads, move all of them to the new folder, but don't delete the old folder yet till all have finished downloading
    5. Maximum number of search results - This is the maximum amount of search results returned for a single search. The value should be between 1 and 200 (default)
    6. Do not function as a supernode - If you disable it (default), then you could be a supernode once in a while
    7. Filter file types that can potentially contain a virus - This will filter out ALL filetypes that could possibly contain a virus or other malicious software
    8. Filter out files that I cannot download due to firewalls - This will filter out files from the search results that are shared by people who are behind a firewall that is configured to block uploads
    9. Filter bogus music and video files - This will filter out files that have a file-extension of a video or music file, but aren't actually real video or music files
    10. Network name - This is what will appear behind the @ after your username
    11. Other users can't cut in line - This will prevent people with a high PL from booting people with a lower PL out of your uploads. That way you will be uploading at a first come first serve basis. This will result in a higher amount of succesful uploads
    12. Block Bad IP Ranges - It mostly blocks organisations that try to monitor illegal filesharing activity or that try to spread fake files on the network
    13. Users can't get a list of all your shared files - This will prevent other people from being able to see a list with all of your shared files. This is a very powerful option in the battle against the organisations that try to monitor filesharing activity. It prevents them from acquiring any evidence
    14. Disable port 1214 - This improves your privacy and security. Note that this option only works if you have set a different port as 1214 for incoming connections (firewall tab)
    15. Limits - Here you can set the maximum number of active downloads and uploads
      1. Dial-up users should have between 2 and 6 downloads and 2 uploads
      2. Users with basic cable and ADSL variants should have between 4 and 8 downloads and between 3 and 6 uploads
      3. Users with fast cable and ADSL variants should have between 6 and 10 downloads and between 5 and 10 uploads
      4. Users a high speed connection (corporate LAN, university networks) should have between 10a nd 16 downloads and between 10 and 16 uploads
      5. NOTE: It is not a good idea to set the number of uploads to unlimited. This will result in many very slow uploads. It is better to set it at a value of for example 10
    REFERENCE: KL++ v2.4.2 FAQ

RESULTS WILL VARY

HOW TO DOWNLOAD FASTER? (example 1)
    1. First and foremost is Tweak:
      1. YOUR Windows - <span style='color:green'>95
      1. , 98, 2000 Pro and Server, ME, XP Home & XP Pro (TO GET OPTIMAL ENVIRONMENT USING KaZaa LITE, GET WINDOWS 2000 OR XP. THIS IS BECUASE WINDOWS 95/98 DO NOT HAVE MUCH ROOM TO TWEAK, NOT KL++)
      2. YOUR Firewalls - either check on YOUR firewall&#39;s site or and type "tweak firewall"
      3. YOUR ISP setup - either check on YOU ISP&#39;s site or go here and type "tweak dsl" or whichever connection YOU have
      4. Close any unnecessary program - turn off and remove unneeded services. By default, many operating systems install auxiliary services that are not critical, such as an FTP server, telnet, and a Web server
      </span>
    2. Find the highest bandwidth of the file you are looking for and start downloading
    3. Then search for any kind of file with hi-bandwidth, like old madonna songs (3096K bandwidth). download that file and let it be
    4. Now change your search setting to 2 min and search for the file YOU origianlly wanted. don&#39;t keep it forever. it could slow YOU down instead (PLEASE NOTE THAT KEEPING AUTO SEARCH ON INDEFINETLY COULD CAUSE MORE HARM THAN GOOD TO SOME USERS WHO DIDN&#39;T FOLLOW THE TWEAKING STEPS)
    5. Once you stop the search, if the file YOU want has a lot of resources, then click on the plus sign
    6. Highlight the highest bandwidth user, right click and click "find more for this user"
    7. NOTE: The time where YOU are not using YOUR PC (like when YOU sleep) is the fastest YOU might notice the optimal speed.

RESULTS WILL VARY
    No matter how good your systems may be, they&#39;re only as effective as what you put into them.

HOW TO DOWNLOAD FASTER? (example 2)
    1. Open KaZaa Lite.
    2. Open KaZuperNodes
    3. Press F6 for Favorites
    4. Highlight ALL IPs and click "Delete"
    5. Press F5 for KaZaa Supernode List
    6. Click "Check Status"
    7. Upon completion, sort by Status
    8. Highlight ONLY the IPs with "Supernode" status
    9. Press Ctrl+F for "Add to Favorites"
    10. Click "Check Status"
    11. Upon completion, sort by Status
    12. Highlight and delete any IP that does not have "Supernode" status
    13. Sort by "Response Time"
    14. Delete any supernode that has a response time of higher than ZERO
    15. Click to "Localize"
    16. Sort by Country, State or City
    17. Hold down the Shift key while pressing "Connect to new Supernode" (this step allows you to switch supernodes without disconnecting your downloads/uploads)
    18. Go back to KaZaa Lite and check the speed of your downloads
    19. If it&#39;s faster, then go to KaZuperNodes, highlight that IP and Press CTRL+L to add to your "SuperList"
    20. Make sure you save the "SuperList" and next time you want to another IP to to that "SuperList", open the file first
    21. If it&#39;s not fast enough for YOU, then jump to another supernode until you find the fastest for YOU
    The following steps are another or additional tips to maintain those "Favorite/SuperList" supernodes (please note that it can be tedious to maintain):
    1. Add the fastest Supernodes, from above, found from the nearest location to YOU to Favorites or SuperList and export IPs and name them "My Best SN.kzn or .kzf" format
    2. The following day, load "My Best SN" file and check their status
    3. Delete the "Unknown" IPs
    4. Leave the IP&#39;s with "Client" status, because in most cases they will come around again to become "Supernode"
    5. Continue doing the above steps for couple or more days
    6. After that, you would have a list of Supernodes who are in most cases up most if not all the times
    7. Continue to update it every-now-and-then
    Note: The following steps are based on the latest KaZupernodes version
    Note to KaZuperNodes programmers: Use the above steps as an example to eliminate most of these steps by adding them to context menu or shortcut

RESULTS WILL VARY
    No matter how good your systems may be, they&#39;re only as effective as what you put into them.

HOW TO DOWNLOAD FASTER? (example 3)
    The following problems may occur in your case unless you make specific configuration changes (PC, KL++, Router and others related):
    1. Cable/DSL modem connection will be continually hitting the rate cap, leading to apparent poor bandwidth for KL++
    2. Ping times will look bad
    3. Traceroutes will look bad, even on the very first hop to the local UBR
    4. Online games will show terrible latency when run with KL++ or any P2P
    5. Firewall might detect hundreds or thousands of incoming connection attempts
    6. If your PC is behind a NAT router, the P2P application might not work properly
    7. PC might be acting as a SuperNode server, passing on search requests from other KL++ users
    8. The problem of hitting the rate cap is the same in nature as for on-line gaming. The KL++ sees a network connection via an ethernet or USB interface and assumes a fast network such as a LAN. It may not realize that the Cable/DSL modem connection will impose a rate cap. As soon as KL++ traffic hits the rate cap (especially the upload rate cap), ping times will go through the roof, and other applications will suffer. The general strategy to avoid this is:
      1. Configure the internal rate cap found in KL++ Options to be substantially less than the Cable/DSL modem upload rate cap
      2. If it doesn&#39;t, make sure that you can totally close down the any application, such as online games
      3. On a low bandwidth cable/DSL connection (e.g. 32 kbps upload cap or less), you must turn off SuperNode support
      4. KL++ will expect to receive incoming connections from other users
      5. If you run a firewall or a NAT router, you must configure them to accept those connections, otherwise KL++ might not work properly, and/or your firewall log might be inundated with messages about attempted connections
      6. Having said all of that, there isn&#39;t a program, that I&#39;m aware of, that controls your internet traffic better than NETLIMITER
    TIP: If your Cable or DSL service suddenly have connection problems, slow or failed loading of some webpages, or low upstream/downstream speeds. THEN completely turn off the computer that is connected to your cable modem. Pull out the plug to the cable modem power cord so that no electrical power goes to it. Wait 10 - 15 minutes. Plug the power cord back in. Allow the cable modem 2 - 3 minutes to reset. Turn the computer back on. In most cases, this will restore your cable connection back to normal.

Note: The following steps are based on the Cable/DSL connection, further detail can be explained HERE?. thx Switeck

RESULTS WILL VARY

HOW TO DOWNLOAD FASTER? (example 4)
    1. Limit your upload bandwidth to something SUSTAINABLE for your connection. You may have 256 kilobits/sec (32 KILOBYTES/sec) max upload bandwidth -- but things will go very badly if you try to set uploads to that speed.
    2. Try to limit 1 upload max PER every ~32 kilobits/sec (4 KILOBYTES/sec) you give to uploads. So at 24 or 32 kilobits/sec, it&#39;s best to leave uploads to 1.
      1-3 uploads at 64 kilobits/sec (depending on filesize and demand for it.)
      1. ~3-5 at 128 kilobits/sec.
      2. ~5-10 at 256 kilobits/sec.
    3. You can use MORE uploads at once if almost all of your files are small and can still transfer quickly (like within an hour.) But if you&#39;re sharing 500+ MB movies, uploading at <4 KB/sec PER upload spot means you&#39;ll probably NEVER finish an upload of one of them.
    4. Max downloads seems to have at least a minor influence on how many sources PER download. KL++ WILL try at once if more than 1 download is already going. If you don&#39;t expect lots of sources PER download AND the files you&#39;re looking for is very rare, then you can set max downloads as high as the 50 max IF you have at least a 1 megabit connection. You might also gain some improvement by reducing sources per download to 4-10, because KL++ may have to be using memory based on the POTENTIAL of 20+ sources per download.
    5. If you&#39;re downloading few files at a time -- but ones with LOTS of sources, you might be better off setting max downloads at 5 or lower&#33; This might also require setting sources per download to 40 or more if it isn&#39;t already.
      • NOTE: Downloads that are in the connecting OR SEARCHING state count AGAINST your download max&#33;
    6. Block ip port 1214 in KL++ -- it cuts down some on erroneous message traffic and RIAA scanner bots. (even if not a privacy issue, why waste bandwidth?)
    7. Port-forward whatever ip port KL++ uses in your Linksys router to your computer (or whatever router you may have, if you have one).
    8. Use KaNAT -- a Kazaa/KL++ add-on for router users to tell KL++ what your INTERNET ip is... otherwise, your connection is automatically firewalled, which BLOCKS all downloads and uploads from OTHER firewalled connections.
    9. Get TCP/IP Optimizer if you&#39;re on Win 9x/ME -- it&#39;ll still help for Win 2k/XP, but it&#39;s not nearly as useful there. (Just make sure not to let it make more than 5-10 connections PER HTTP server under advanced&#33
    10. Win 9x/ME has a 100 ip connections at once LIMIT -- exceed that and expect disasters, so keep that in mind too with all your settings&#33; Even though Win 2k/XP can go MUCH higher, that doesn&#39;t mean your connection, cpu, ram, or hard drive can keep up without slowing down other programs.
    11. If you&#39;re getting 0.5-1 KB/sec instead of sub 0.1 KB/sec speeds, then it&#39;s quite probably just the speeds OTHERS are sending out at.
      1. There is a common misconception that it&#39;s faster/better to allow more uploads at once and ALSO the belief that if they have a 1,500k cablemodem/ADSL connection that they can download AND upload that fast.
      2. Problem is, from the people you are downloading from, their REAL max upload speed for purposes of KL++ is often only about 13 KB/sec -- so if they are set at 10 max uploads at once, that works out to be only about 1 KB/sec each. The &#39;extra&#39; 3 KB/sec gets lost because the 10 uploads at once &#39;fight it out&#39; over the limited upload bandwidth. Had they set uploads to 20, then the average upload speed would probably be under 0.5 KB/sec.
        • This is NOT because there&#39;s something wrong with their connection, but only that they don&#39;t know what they have and they are overloading it -- creating the problem&#33;
    12. So find out what YOUR connection can do and don&#39;t let uploads exceed that -- because if they do, it&#39;ll slow not just your downloads but your UPLOADS as well&#33;
    13. If you have <15 KB/sec upload for KL++, please don&#39;t set uploads higher than about 6 -- so each one goes at least 2 KB/sec if possible.
    14. If you have a &#39;pool&#39; of 100 sources, then the probability that an available one is FAST (>5 KB/sec) is very low compaired to the probability that you&#39;ll get a 0.5-1 KB/sec source -- there&#39;s just LOTS more slow sources because people which allow 10+ uploads at once &#39;count&#39; as more sources than people which only allow 1 or 2 uploads at once.
    15. To top this off, capping/throttling/crippling/blocking ISPs reduce these speeds even further -- YOUR KL++ MAY NOT BE CRIPPLED BY YOUR ISP, BUT MANY OF THE PEOPLE YOU ARE DOWNLOADING FROM PROBABLY ARE&#33;
    16. ...and if that&#39;s bad enough, Kazaa/KL++ will block off ALL connections to firewalled/router sources if you are firewalled/on a router yourself. It won&#39;t TELL you it&#39;s doing this, it just will&#33; You MAY even be considered firewalled in Kazaa because of your ISP&#39;s doing even if they&#39;re NOT really blocking Kazaa completely (changing ip ports and blocking port 1214 in KL++ can help.) If that&#39;s NOT the case, you need to check and recheck from time to time that you are NOT firewalled for purposes of using KL++. AND if you&#39;re behind a router and want better accessability, you NEED to port-forward AND run KaNAT&#33;
    17. AND ON TOP OF ALL THAT, you still need to minimize jumping of supernodes by KL++. Supernode jumping is an automatic thing that happens about once every hour to 6 hours -- however running extended searches can cause supernode jumping ever 5 minutes, which can cause almost immediate loss of all the firewalled/router sources you&#39;re downloading from&#33;
      1. A sign that it&#39;s about to do so, is if each search attempt only lasts a couple seconds before quitting. So that means don&#39;t do lots of searches at one time and wait a few minutes (5-15) before doing another if it&#39;s about to jump. Even clicking find more sources on lots of your downloads in your downloads window OR running the download accelerator for extended periods at high speed (retry quicker than every 5 minutes) can cause earlier supernode jumping.
      2. On the other hand, supernode jumping is VERY desireable if you have few/no active downloads and AREN&#39;T finding any new sources with your searches.

RESULTS WILL VARY

CREDIT/OTHER:Switeck for putting it together

HOW TO TEST WHY YOU CAN ONLY DOWNLOAD FROM ONE USER?
    1. Drop any firewalls, exit completely
    2. Close Peer Guardian and alike
    3. Leave ONLY your Anti-Virus running
    4. Do a port change again in KL++. Go to 65000 for now and see if it helps. It does incredible things for me
    5. Do not block bad IP ranges- this is temporary, for testing purposes
    6. Don&#39;t disable 1214
    7. Change max uploads to 3
    8. Change downloads to 6, increase this slowly if you get results
    9. No extra idle bandwidth
    10. Turn off Auto Search
    11. Now do a search for shania twain- yeah whatever, but there are a million sources&#33;
    12. Let the search run for at least 2 minutes
    13. Stop the search and select a variety of those results with medium bandwidth and bitrate. about 20 different files for now, both video and audio
    14. Open a command prompt with NetScan Pro 3.3 installed
    15. Enable logging in NetScan Pro 3.3
    16. Close and reopen NetScan
    17. Now view logs if there are any active connections showing.
    18. Get any remote IP&#39;s and in the command prompt, type netstat -s 5 to show statistics. do a copy save for future refference
    19. If you&#39;re familiar with ping, use the command prompt. If not, get a copy of PCS Network Tools by O&#39;Reilly and enter the IP&#39;s shown in the NetScan Pro logs. try the ping 3 times for each one and record results
    20. If you have NeoTrace, do a trace route on each IP that connects. record the hops info and ping times, packet loss
    21. If you still aren&#39;t getting connections, It&#39;s time to go into the dats for IP info and follow the ping and traces above
    22. If none of this helps "get" sources, at least you&#39;ll have the stats needed to properly analyze what&#39;s happening and we can go from there.
    thx Balamm

RESULTS WILL VARY

HOW TO DO A CLEAN INSTALL AFTER EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS WITHOUT SOLUTIONS?
    1. Backup ALL downloaded files, and partially download ".dat" files (I would recommend copying them to your desktop until KL++ is reinstalled)
    2. Close all KL++ related tools (avipreview, kdat, ksig, etc..)
    3. Uninstall KL++ completely through the "Ad/Remove Programs" in Control Panel
    4. Delete the programs folder (usually C:&#092;Program Files&#092;Kazaa Lite or C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;user_name&#092;Application Data&#092;Kazaa Lite)
    5. Clean all traces of K-Lite from the registry using a program like RegCleaner (WARNING: editing the registry can be dangerous if you don&#39;t know what you&#39;re doing, make sure to USE YOUR HEAD, if you removed something you didn&#39;t want to, don&#39;t worry, just use the back up in this program)
    6. Do a virus and spyware scan using the latest deffenitions, remove offending files (Spybot) (AdAware)
    7. Download from K-Lite - select "Save As" not "Open". DO NOT DOWNLAOD BETA version of Kazaa Lite K++
    8. Make sure nothing else is running on your computer (like other file sharing applications), then install with the settings you like
    9. Select the option of "Delete all Kazaa Lite registry keys before installing [This will reset all settings to DEFAULT]"
    10. Also select the option of "Supertrick [This will block a lot of advertising on websites]"
    11. Copy downloads back to downloads folder (usually C:&#092;My Shared Folder)
      That should do it, hopefully....
    12. Start KL++ and enjoy
    CORRECTED, thx to Phalkon30 & ShareHolder

RESULTS WILL VARY

HOW TO KNOW IF YOUR DOWNLOAD IS A FAKE BEFORE IT FINISHES?
    SAVE TIME AND LOT OF BANDWIDTH DETECTING FAKES EARLY. USEFUL ONLY FOR VERY LARGE FILES
    1. For video files (AVI, DIVX, MPEG, etc), use AVI Preview+.
      1. From the Traffic tab, right click on the download and select Preview with -> AVI Preview.
      2. If AVI Preview doesn&#39;t open the movie, use VideoLAN as your second option.
      3. Include both AVIPreview and VideoLAN in KL Extensions Tools menu.
      4. If the movie is a fake, stop the player and cancel the download.
    2. For ISO images and compressed files (EXE, ZIP, RAR, etc), use KDat and Win Rar.
      1. Open KDat and find the file name of the .DAT file in "My Shared Folder" for the file that you want to verify.
      2. Then open "My Shared Folder", select the .DAT file and make a copy of it (copy & paste in the same directory). This step is required, because the .DAT file is still in use by Kazaa Lite.
      3. Rename the new copy of the .DAT file to VERIFY.RAR and double click on it (it other words, open it with Winrar).
        1. You probably will be able to read the table of content of the compressed file or ISO, and verify if the file is a fake or not. In some cases you will be able to repair the RAR and extract some files even when the full file haven&#39;t downloaded completely.
        2. This also let you identify if the compressed file has password.
        3. NOTE: Remember to delete VERIFY.RAR
    3. For audio files (MP3, WMA, etc), use the internal preview of Kazaa/Kazaa Lite K++.
      1. If the internal preview doesn&#39;t work, open KDat to identify the file name of the .DAT file in "My Shared Folder" for the file that you want to verify.
      2. Then open "My Shared Folder", select the .DAT file and make a copy of it (copy & paste in the same directory). This step is required, because the .DAT file is still in use by Kazaa Lite.
      3. Rename the new copy of the .DAT file to VERIFY.MP3 and open it with WinAmp2.
        1. NOTE: Remember to delete VERIFY.RAR
    Due audio files are normally small and these steps require a couple of minutes, this last tip is only useful for user with slow connection, MP3 downloading at slow rate or downloads of full albums in a single MP3.
    You can skip the KDat step in tips #2 and #3 if you only have one download in progress (a single .DAT in "My Shared Folder"). If have a few downloads you can also guess the .DAT by the size of the file.
    THX ALDO.

RESULTS WILL VARY

HOW TO AVOID FAKE MUSIC FILES? (two examples)
    1. VISUAL

The following are typical characteristics of fake/unwanted music files:
      1. The amount of users with the same copy is extremely big.
      2. The file name or title name contains numbers like (1) or whatever between ().
      3. The length/file size is too big (or too small) compared with normal songs, witht the rest of the files, and/or the lenght you suppose it may have.
      4. The same user is repeatedly sharing copies of the same file (typically with altered names).
      5. The length/file size of supposed copies of the same file differs from user to user.
      6. The bandwidth of the file is extremely big compared to the rest. The download is really fast (if you reach a stable 9-10 Kbps with a 56 K modem, this is highly a fake MP3).
      7. When downloading a file, you notice it is restarted at some point (rare).
    2. PROGRAMS
      1. MP3 Checker - "This program is designed to rapidly scan lots of MP3 for RIAA corruption, the so called "Screechy MP3&#39;s" syndrome, it can be very useful for checking large music collections"
      2. MP3 Autoscanner - "This small command line program is designed to work with the KLExtension&#39;s file organiser so that as soon as an MP3 is downloaded it is scanned and if bad is sent to a different folder."
    3. CREATE CLEAN FILES

RESULTS WILL VARY

CREDIT/OTHER:Thx to ilw, Gre1, Andrex, cborga1985 and everyone posted <span style='color:green'>HERE
    </span>

HOW TO RESTART DEAD DOWNLOADS?
    1. Open KDAT before starting KL++
    2. Select one file and click {Delete} on the sources side
    3. Small windows pops-up, select {Delete all <Not Stored> sources}
    4. Press {Delete}
    5. Tip: Monitor your files for <Not Stored> sources and delete them

RESULTS WILL VARY

HOW TO RESOLVE CODECS PROBLEMS? (one possibility)
    1. Unistall ALL additional codecs not done by WMP and any video/audio player that might contain CODECS, Reboot if necessary
    2. Uninstalled ALL WMP and Reboot if necessary
    3. Download K-LITE CODEC PACK or SLD CODEC PAK
    4. Install WMP 9 CODECS
    5. After the file completed dl, would only start with AVIPrev. - tried fixing the file using 3 programs, all said file is corrupt. so, i dl again from other sources/size and corrected the problem.
    6. For further help on Avi and like files go here Divx-Digest and here DVD Dr. Help
    7. In some cases, you may need to disable WMP to check for codecs, updates, licenses and soforth. OPTIONS--&#62;PRIVACY--&#62;uncheck "Acquire licenses....", --&#62;PLAYER--&#62;uncheck "Download codecs..." and "Connect to the...."

RESULTS WILL VARY

HOW TO DELETE STUBBORN FILES?
    First, a brief explanation on why this happens. This is usually because an active process has an open handle to the file which prevents it from being deleted. Normally if you close down all running programs you&#39;ll find that most files will then be free to delete, but that&#39;s not always the case, and in some cases it may even be a trojan that&#39;s preventing itself from being deleted.
    1. MoveFileEx - A Windows function that moves an existing file or directory
      1. WARNING: editing the registry can be dangerous if you don&#39;t know what you&#39;re doing, make sure to USE YOUR HEAD, if you removed something you didn&#39;t want to, don&#39;t worry, just use the back up in this program
      2. The MOVEFILE_DELAY_UNTIL_REBOOT option places an entry under the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SYSTEM&#092;CurrentControlSet&#092;Control&#092;Session Manager&#092;PendingFileRenameOperations and the file is moved or deleted (if destination NULL) when the system next reboots. Unfortunately as this is not supported under Windows95/98 an application must use entries in WININIT.ini to achieve the same effect.
      3. BOOL MoveFileEx (LPCTSTR pExistingFilePath, LPCTSTR pNewFilePath, DWORD dwFlags)
        • TRUE if function succeeded

pExistingFilePath.......Source path to an existing file
          pNewFilePath............New location for the file
          dwFlags....................Optoions controlling the move
        • Move or rename a file

Move or rename a file to a new location.
          Only meaningfully implemented on NT. Windows95 returns
          ERROR_CALL_NOT_IMPLEMENTED, use MoveFile instead.
          The source and destination path should be on the same drive as the system can then just change folder entries without actually copying the file contents. If MOVEFILE_COPY_ALLOWED is supplied and the system needs to copy the file it will require the additional disk space for the temporary file, in this case the original file is deleted only after the copy is successful.
      4. The flags allow more control over the move, it can be zero or a combination of the following values :
        MOVEFILE_REPLACE_EXISTING.......The destination can be overwritten if it exists
        MOVEFILE_COPY_ALLOWED.............Allow a copy if destination on a different drive to the source
        MOVEFILE_DELAY_UNTIL_REBOOT...The move takes place on reboot (NT only)
        MOVEFILE_WRITE_THROUGH...........Do not return until changes flushed to disk (NT only)
      OR
    2. Using Windows InProcServer32 process
      1. WARNING: editing the registry can be dangerous if you don&#39;t know what you&#39;re doing, make sure to USE YOUR HEAD, if you removed something you didn&#39;t want to, don&#39;t worry, just use the back up in this program
      2. Open notepad, copy and paste the code below. Then save the file as "avifix.inf" without the quotes
        ; Windows XP explorer movie fix.
        ;
        ; WARNING - Use this file at your own risk.
        ;
        ; Executing this file will remove a registry key which makes explorer load shmedia.dll.
        ; Simply put, this removes the annoying "permission denied" errors when trying to
        ; move/copy/delete AVI files.
        ;
        ; To use this fix, right-click on the file and select install. Done.
        ;
        ; Information about the registry key from multiple sources.
        ; Inf-file compiled by Moo (2002-03-22).
        ; Idea by Duxus. Thanks to the kind people of "[BBB] Sweden #01", you know who you are&#33;
        ;

[version]
        signature="&#036;Windows NT&#036;"

[DefaultInstall]
        DelReg = Reduce.Reg

[Reduce.Reg]
        HKLM, "SOFTWARE&#092;Classes&#092;CLSID&#092;{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}&#092;InProcServer32"
      3. Right-click "avifix.inf" and select install
      OR
    3. Delete the file in DOS mode (99.99% success ratio)
      1. Download & install DOS Here (197kb) - "An Explorer Shell Extension to provide easy and quick access to the DOS Prompt in the requested folder"
      2. Open Explorer and go to the directory where the stubborn file resides (DO NOT HIGHLIGHT THE FILE)
      3. Right Click and select "CMD here"
      4. Close all open applications
      5. Open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab, select "explorer.exe" under Image Name, click "End Process"
      6. You will only have the command prompt and the task manager open
      7. In the Command Prompt, DEL the offending files (DEL *.mpg, DEL mus*.avi, DEL test.wmv, etc.)
      8. The files should now delete without a problem. Now go back to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task..." button. in the dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK
      OR
    4. Delete the file association first
      2. Start >Run >regedit {enter}
      3. Navigate to this key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT&#092;SystemFileAssociations&#092;.avi&#092;shellex&#092;PropertyHandler
      4. Delete the "Default" key
      5. Close regedit
      6. Follow the above test again, is a simple del doesn&#39;t work
      AND
    5. Delete the file in DOS mode
      1. Start >Run >cmd {enter}
      2. Navigate to the folder the file is in, i.e. if its in c:&#092;folder&#092;anotherfolder&#092;file, type "cd c:&#092;folder&#092;anotherfolder" {enter} The coomand prompt should change to let you know you are in the correct directory.
      3. Type "dir /x" {enter}
      4. The offending file will be listed like (filena~1.xxx)
      5. Type attrib -r -s -a -h filename.extension {enter}
      6. Take note of the name and type "del filena~1.xxx" {enter}
      OR
    6. Try to take ownership of the file
      1. Right click the file
      2. Select the security Tab
      3. Select properties
      4. Select Advanced
      5. Select Owner
      6. Find the User or group you wish to give ownership to and select it
      7. Click apply
      8. now try deleting it.
      OR
    7. If the file is Media (MP3, MPG, AVI, etc...)
      1. Remember the filename (X) and location
      2. Run another file (Y) with the same extension
      3. now Delete the file (X)
        This occurs sometimes when windows thinks that the file (X) ur trying to delete is still open, eventhough u closed the app and the file.
      OR
    8. Try one of these small programs
      1. FreeFile - "FreeFile will free a file by finding the process that holds the lock, and allow you to terminate it"
      2. ZAP - "deletes files that are either in use or otherwise cannot be deleted" (works with XP & 2K)
      3. DELLATER (3kb) - "DelLater is the ideal program to use when you can&#39;t delete a file, no matter how hard you try" - This tool does the same as above in Option 1

RESULTS WILL VARY

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    HOW TO ELIMINATE BIG PROBLEMS WITH SMALL PROGRAMS?
    1. KL++ RELATED
      1. DAT FILE PROBLEM - Most may not need to go further than here. The results these programs give, speaks for itself. thx ilw
      2. DAT VIEW & RENAMER - You can view and manage the contents of your Kazaa (*.dat) partially downloaded files
      3. KAZAA CORRUPTION FIXER (KCF) (42KB) - "Redownload only the corrupted sections of any completed file" *****
      4. KAZAA DAT EDITOR (KDE) - "Allows you to redownload sections of a corrupted file you&#39;ve downloaded"
      5. KLFU (913B) - "Here is where you can download the newest Kazaa Lite K++ Add-On which blocks allot of Child Pornography and allot of other crap you don&#39;t want on your Kazaa Lite K++.*****
      6. MEDIA SEEK (850KB) - "Now it is possible to actually see a preview picture of the movies other users share - *before* you start downloading&#33;" *****
      7. VIDEO LAN - "Is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network"*****
    2. INTERNET RELATED
      1. AD-AWARE (1.7mb) - "Standard Edition is THE award winning, free, multicomponent detection and removal utility that consistently leads the industry in safety, user satisfaction, support and reliability"
      2. AOL HIDER (475kb) - "Excellent program that simply hides AOL into the task window in the bottom right corner. Makes it look like you have a real internet connection&#33; Compatable with all versions"
      3. FPIPE - "FPipe is a source port forwarder/redirector. It can create a TCP or UDP stream with a source port of your choice. This is useful for getting past firewalls that allow traffic with source ports of say 23, to connect with internal servers"
      4. FPORT - "Reports all open TCP/IP and UDP ports and maps them to the owning application"
      5. MAGIC MAIL MONITOR (71kb) - Tiny POP3 compliant Mail Checker: the best choice for checking one or multiple account quickly, at periodic interval. Fully configurable, nice interface
      6. MAILINATOR - "Have you ever needed an email .. NOW? Have you ever gone to a website that asks for your email for no reason (other than they are going to sell your email address to the highest bidder so you get spammed forever)?"
      7. NET LIMITER [614KB) - "NetLimiter is an ultimate internet traffic control tool" *****
      8. NESSUS - "A security scanner which will audit remotely a given network and determine whether bad guys (aka &#39;crackers&#39 may break into it, or misuse it in some way." For Linux ONLY
      9. NETSCAN PRO (925kb) - "NETSCAN PRO is the real advanced TCP/IP monitoring utility which allows you to monitor all network activity at your computer. NETSCAN PRO 3.3 has a graphical and text interface which makes the program unique in its kind&#33; It&#39;s very easy to use&#33; All you do is run the program and see all established connections and opened ports at your computer"
      10. NO ADS (215kb) - "Popup killing at its best&#33; This nifty utility is great when surfing websites. If a popup appears, open the program that is in the task tray and double click it and its gone. It will then store it and kill it in the future too. It is the first one I&#39;ve seen that supports AOL&#33; Even works great with programs like KaZaA"
      11. PCS NETWORK TOOLS (1150kb) - "The PCS Network Tools is a collection of essential network diagnostic tools. These tools include DNS resolution which provides the IP Address, Hostname, Hostname Alias, Mailhost, and Name Server Records for an entered host. In addition, the following tools are also included: IP Scanner, Traceroute, Ping, Whois, Finger, Time, Quote of the Day, and extensive Localhost information. Local information includes the hostname, alias, IP address, MAC address, username, Primary Domain Controller, NetBIOS, memory, windows version and build, and other vital information"
      12. PING PLOTTER - "This exceptional GUI-based traceroute tool has features I’ve only seen in expensive industrial-strength tools, including dynamic tracking of changes in node response time — great for tracking a network outage across time. It’s also very fast&#33;" - For NT/2K/XP ONLY
      13. PROXIRAMA (154kb) - "A tool for finding and testing proxy servers. it will test them for anonymity, speed, if it&#39;s a gateway proxy, https support (=chainability) and geographical location. furthermore, it can be used as a local proxy server that redirects your traffic through a arbitrarily long chain of anonymous proxies. it is small, fast, and easy to use"
      14. SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTORY (3.5mb) - "This free program can detect and remove spyware of different kinds from your computer. Spyware is a relatively new kind of threat that common anti-virus applications do not yet cover"
      15. SPYWARE / ADWARE? - Start here*****
    3. OS RELATED
      1. FILE
        1. BCWIPE - "Is intended to give you a confidence that your deleted files cannot be recovered by an intruder" For Linux/FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Solaris/Digital UNIX/Irix/Windows
        2. BEST CRYPT - "A Data Encryption system provides the most comprehensive and easy-to-use secure data storage and access control facilities available" For Linux/FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Solaris/Digital UNIX/Irix/Windows
        3. CIA UNERASE - " Is the first product using the CIS technology to recover deleted files. Using CIS, CIA Unerase recovers almost any file you deleted even before you installed CIA Unerase and files where all other solutions on the market failed. CIA Unerase is the smallest, easiest and fastest Unerasing-tool we know"
        4. DELLATER (3kb) - "DelLater is the ideal program to use when you can&#39;t delete a file, no matter how hard you try"
        5. HIDE IT - Hide running applications
        6. KILL - "Shuts down one or more running Windows NT tasks or processes" - For 2K/XP
        7. KILL95 - Shuts down any processes running in memory
        8. ZAP - "deletes files that are either in use or otherwise cannot be deleted" - For 2K/XP *****
      2. CONTROL/MONITOR
        1. CIS - "A free security scanner written and maintained by Cerberus Information Security, Ltd and is designed to help administrators locate and fix security holes in their computer systems. This tool is a must&#33;" To see the checks it does, go HERE - For NT/2K
        2. COOL BEANS SYSTEM INFO (820kb) - "A small but powerful program that monitors your computer&#39;s CPU, physical memory, and swap memory usage"
        3. DEPENDENCY WALKER (406KB) - "A free utility that scans any 32-bit or 64-bit Windows module (exe, dll, ocx, sys, etc.) and builds a hierarchical tree diagram of all dependent modules." Can be helpful to identify missing files/dll after installtion of programs
        4. HHD SRVADMIN - "A very useful as a replacement to the ordinary NT service and device control panel applets, because it repeats and extends the functionality provided by them. Plus, it allows administrators to perform tasks, which usually not available to them without installing Windows NT Resource Kit." For NT/2K
        5. NTFS Reader for DOS - This is an absolutely essential recovery tool if you use NTFS partitions. Add this 147 KB executable file to your Win9x-based boot floppy and it will let you read any NTFS partition and copy off files to any FAT partition. (Don’t be thrown when the page says “Demo software.” It’s outright freeware.) - For NT/2K/XP ONLY
        6. NTSubst - "Extended version of the NT subst command. NtSubst allows you to assign the drive letter not only to any valid path, but also any valid NT Object Manager path." For NT/2000
        7. POWER PROMPT - "will allow you to run programs as System"
        8. PROCESS EXPLORER (150kb) - "The unique capabilities of Process Explorer make it useful for tracking down DLL-version problems or handle leaks, and provide insight into the way Windows and applications work"
        9. REVELATION - Discloses passwords that are only displayed as asterisks. I suppose, ultimately, this is a cracker’s tool; but there are practical, legitimate uses for it, so I decided to post the link. - For 9x/2K/XP. Please use it in good faith.
        10. SHUTDOWN - Small commandline utility that makes it a breeze to log off, shutdown, restart, hibernate, or put in stand-by mode your Win XP computer. It’s the only utility I know that shuts down Win XP and then reliably powers off the computer. For XP ONLY.
        11. STARTUP CPL - "A nifty control panel applet that allows you to easily configure which programs run when your computer starts."
        12. STARTUP MONITOR - "A small utility that runs transparently (it doesn&#39;t even use a tray icon) and notifies you when any program registers itself to run at system startup. It prevents those utterly useless tray applications from registering themselves behind your back, and it acts as a security tool against trojans like BackOrifice or Netbus."
        13. STORM WINDOW - A great and FREE utility for Windows desktop security
      3. INFORMATION
        1. ADVISOR - Displays all your PC info (hardware/software) on one page
        2. SKRUB THE WEB - "Search Microsoft Knowledge Base, MSDN, Google and Google Groups in a single click"
      4. UTILITIES
        1. DOS HERE (197kb) - "An Explorer Shell Extension to provide easy and quick access to the DOS Prompt in the requested folder"
      5. TWEAKS
        1. ANSWERS THAT WORK - "Through our support service we often come across problems caused primarily by programs running in the background, programs which in most cases start at the same time as Windows. Sometimes these programs are useful and need to be there; quite often, however, they are not needed, and in too many cases they cause severe problems." This is not a program, however it would be a great small utility if packaged.
        2. ERUNT - "Finally, a tool to back up the Win XP Registry&#33; (Microsoft didn’t include one with Win XP itself.)" - For NT/2K/XP ONLY
          • NTRegOpt is included in the above file - This optimizes the Win NT/2K/XP Registry much as SCANREG /OPT does for Win98/ME.
        3. HIJACK THIS - "HijackThis examines certain key areas of the Registry and Hard Drive and lists their contents. These are areas which are used by both legitimate programmers and hijackers." - USE WITH CAUTION AND AT YOUR RISK
        4. TWEAKUI - THE BEST OF ALL THE PowerToys&#33; This should be standard on every (pre-XP) Windows computer whatsoever&#33; Many new features added.
    RESULTS WILL VARY

HOW TO BLOCK ADS AND MAINTAIN THE SUPERTRICK (hosts file - example 1)
    1. Get the original FILE KL++ came with (if u don&#39;t have it)
    2. Get a list of updated Ad sites from ACCS-NET, SomeoneWhoCares, MVPS, Blood Image, EveryThingIsnt and if you want more then always Google here and here
    3. Update file either manually or use HOSTS Manager by simply adding the files from above.
    While visiting the sites listed above, enhance your knowledge about HOSTS file and utilize it properly to improve the Ad Blocking on your PC.

FINAL NOTE: If you open the hosts file (C:&#092;WINDOWS&#092;system32&#092;drivers&#092;etc) and see most if not all addresses have an IP addressess other than 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 then RUN windows update then an Anti-Virus program, then go back to my first point.
    The Fortnight virus makes changes in your hosts file: C:&#092;WINDOWS&#092;system32&#092;drivers&#092;etc&#092;hosts or C:&#092;WINNT&#092;system32&#092;drivers&#092;etc&#092;hosts. The Windows hosts file serves to associate host names with IP addresses. The hosts file dropped by this virus contains of a list of URLs, each associated with a bogus IP address.

REFERENCE: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-011 and HOSTS file
    1. A sample of an example INFECTED hosts file:
      # Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
      #
      # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
      #
      # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
      # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
      # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
      # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
      # space.
      #
      # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
      # lines or following the machine name denoted by a &#39;#&#39; symbol.
      #
      # For example:
      #
      # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
      # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
      66.159.20.80 moviesheaven.com
      66.159.20.80 vidsvidsvids.com
      66.159.20.80 my-teensex.com
      66.159.20.80 nobullshitmovies.com
      66.159.20.80 watch-xxx.com
      66.159.20.80 wolrdteenparadise.com
      66.159.20.80 www.google.com
      66.159.20.80 worldsex-archives.com
      66.159.20.80 ww2.link-o-rama.com
      66.159.20.80 link-o-rama.com
    2. How to Clean manually - simply remove anthing below "127.0.0.1 localhost" or some people have it "0.0.0.0 localhost":
      # Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
      #
      # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
      #
      # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
      # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
      # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
      # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
      # space.
      #
      # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
      # lines or following the machine name denoted by a &#39;#&#39; symbol.
      #
      # For example:
      #
      # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
      # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
    3. WINDOWS UPDATE NOTE: Akamai.net is used by Microsoft to host the Windows Update features, known as the "AutoUpdate" and "v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com [63.209.144.181]". In addition, Akamai.net also hosts others, such as ad/spware websites.

So if either feature of the Windows Update is not working and/or you get "Windows Update Failure - Error Code 0x800A138F". Then close ALL broswers&#39; windows, open hosts file, press {CTRL+F}->look for this address "a248.e.akamai.net [63.251.152.201]", without the brackets, and delete it then save and exit. Now try <span style='color:green'>https://a248.e.akamai.net/v4.windows...etmanifest.asp
      again. If it works, then go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and get your Updates. If it still does not work then your company or your ISP may be blocking this hostname. Or some anti-ad/spy programs may have this address blocked, such as SPYBLOCKER.

DO NOT DELETE ALL AKAMAI.NET SITES, OTHERWISE YOU WILL END UP WITH AD/SPY SITES POPING BACK.
      Below is a small sample of hundreds of the Akamai.net servers that process ad/spy sites:
      1. 0.0.0.0 a08.g.akamai.net
      2. 0.0.0.0 a1.g.akamai.net
      3. 0.0.0.0 a10.g.akamai.net
      4. 0.0.0.0 a100.g.akamai.net
      5. 0.0.0.0 a100.g.akamaitech.net
      6. 0.0.0.0 a1016.g.akamai.net
      7. 0.0.0.0 a1028.g.akamai.net
      8. 0.0.0.0 a1032.g.akamai.net
      9. 0.0.0.0 a104.g.akamai.net
      10. 0.0.0.0 a1040.g.akamai.net
      11. 0.0.0.0 a1061.g.akamai.net
      12. 0.0.0.0 a1066.g.akamai.net
      13. 0.0.0.0 a108.g.akamai.net
      14. 0.0.0.0 a11.g.akamai.net
      15. 0.0.0.0 a1100.g.akamai.net
      16. 0.0.0.0 a111.g.akamai.net
      17. 0.0.0.0 a1156.g.akamai.net
      18. 0.0.0.0 a1168.g.akamai.net
      19. 0.0.0.0 a117.g.akamaitech.net
      20. 0.0.0.0 a1172.g.akamaitech.net
      21. 0.0.0.0 a1180.g.akamai.net
      22. 0.0.0.0 a1196.g.akamai.net
      23. 0.0.0.0 a12.g.akamai.net
      24. 0.0.0.0 a12.g.akamaitech.net
      25. 0.0.0.0 a1208.g.akamai.net
      26. 0.0.0.0 a1224.g.akamaitech.net
      27. 0.0.0.0 a1228.g.akamai.net
      28. 0.0.0.0 a1234.g.akamai.net
      29. 0.0.0.0 a1240.g.akamaitech.net
      30. 0.0.0.0 a1252.g.akamai.net
      31. 0.0.0.0 a1261.g.akamai.net
      32. 0.0.0.0 a1284.g.akamai.net
      33. 0.0.0.0 a13.g.akamai.net
      34. 0.0.0.0 a1300.g.akamai.net
      35. 0.0.0.0 a1316.g.akamai.net
      36. 0.0.0.0 a1356.g.akamai.net
      37. 0.0.0.0 a1360.g.akamai.net
      38. 0.0.0.0 a1380.g.akamai.net
      39. 0.0.0.0 a14.g.akamai.net
    </span>
    Now continue to Example 2, below

RESULTS WILL VARY
    [/font]

HOW TO BLOCK ADS AND MAINTAIN THE SUPERTRICK (hosts file - example 2)

Continuing from example 1:
    1. Update your hosts file
      1. First, download and "save as" this UPDATED FILE (contains over 14,000 verified sites and about 500kb).
      2. Add it to your hosts file using HOSTS MANAGER
    2. Update your proxy configuration, even if you aren&#39;t behind a proxy
      1. Netscape Navigator
        1. Go to Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Proxies
        2. Select "Manual Proxy Configuration" (even if you aren&#39;t using a proxy) and click "View"
        3. From the final hosts file, after merging it with the one you downloaded, open the file in Wordpad and remove everything except the site addresses
          • Replace the line breaks with a space to make the file as one line. Like this "000freexxx.com 039068a.dialer-select.com 1.httpads.com 1000stars.ru 100free.com 100free.de 100free.nl 123adult.com"
        4. Paste the results into "No Proxy For" box
          This will tell Navigator to access these sites directly. Since your hosts file says they are the local machine, ad lookups will fail and you can surf in peace without distraction, with the added bonus that many web pages will load quite a bit faster
      2. Internet Explorer 5.x+
        1. Go to Tools->Internet Options...->Connection tab
        2. Select your Connection (Dialup or LAN) & press "Settings" button
        3. Check "Use a proxy server for your..." checkbox
        4. Click "Bypass proxy server for local addresses" checkbox
        5. You are done - No need to add anything in "No Proxy For" box
    3. NOTES
      1. If you run a webserver on your PC
        1. All the servers in this file point to the ip 127.0.0.1 (localhost), you will need to open the “Hosts” file in a regular text editor (wordpad/bbedit/vim etc) and replace 127.0.0.1 for 127.0.0.2 or another "non-existant" ip address
        2. Alternatively you can simply download this dedicated Hosts file for servers with the ip set at 127.0.0.3 here. You will need to rename this file "Hosts"
      2. If you use the browser Mozilla , but after installing Hosts you keep getting a "connection refused.." error dialog
        1. This is a bug in Mozilla (version 1.1 and below) due to the browser not having a built in error page when a website/adserver cannot be contacted, therefore an alert dialog is used instead of error page
        2. This has been reported as a bug to the Mozilla project and is still awaiting to be set as a default setting into a release
        3. If you have Mozilla 1.2a or above you can add to your user preferences file (prefs.js) this line:
          • user_pref("browser.xul.error_pages.enabled", true);
          • This will stop the annoying dialog popup as 1.2a has the option to remove the dialog though this isn&#39;t enabled by default yet
      3. If you installed it and now you can&#39;t visit site X
        1. Then probably the site in question is in the "black" list and is stopping your visit
        2. check when you access the site does your taskbar/statusbar say "connecting to 127.0.0.1" if so then it is most likely within this file, in which case you will need to open this “Hosts” file in a text editor (wordpad/bbedit/vim etc) and search for the line that contains the address of the site that you want to visit
        3. Simply delete that line or place a # before the line which deactivates that particular entry, then reboot or re-flush your dns, and you will then be able to visit the site in question
          • This Hosts file is designed to be extremely comprehensive and to get the best out of it some people will find they need to edit it manually to remove certain sites for their own browsing preferences (using the above instructions)
          • Web sites will not be placed in this file if they have had no observed hostile activities or privacy breaches, and with banner advertising only the server from which the advert banner originates will be blocked and not the whole site
          • The sorts of activity that determines addition to this file is:
            • adverts, banners, multiple popup windows /exit pages, webbugs, script/java exploits, privacy breaches, dialer droppers, user tracking and counters, viruses, spyware, circle sites, spammer sites, underhand practices etc.
            • If a site is visited and they have these kinds of activities going on, then they will most likely to be entered into this Hosts file by myself or other users who contribute to this project
            • You can always use this program, Hosts Toggle to turn on/off the Hosts file with one click
      4. If you installed it and your Windows 2000 PC hangs every 10 minutes and/or is slow
        1. This seems to be a bug in Win2K as it will not handle large Hosts files such as this one, it can be worked around by 2 different methods, if you are not on a LAN network or use a direct connection to the internet (t1/dsl/adsl/cable) (modems untested but believed to work also) the first simple method is as follows
          • Locate the hosts file you installed and rename to hosts.txt (this will disable it tempoarily)
          • Right Click on "My Computer" on the desktop and choose "Manage"
          • Scroll to the "services" section and locate "dns client" r-click on this and choose "properties"
          • Stop the service and from the dropdown choose "disable"
          • Rename "hosts.txt" back to "hosts" and you should be able to use the hosts file as normal, a reboot might be required to get it working fully
          • This method has been known to work on many Win2k* setups without any adverse effects. Also known to work for some XP users who experience slow network startup and/or IE or OE is very slow to start, the procedure to disable the dns client is the same as above. Of course if you still have problems or cannot connect to the internet after implementing this workaround it is advised you do not use this Hosts file and restore the "dns client" back to an "automatic" state and restart the dns client. Alternativly you will need this software and see this page for implementing an advanced dns solution (for expert users only)
      5. If you installed it and can still see some banners
        1. After checking the obvious, have you got it installed in the correct location for your Operating system?
        2. Check to see if the banners image is coming from a different server than the one you are visiting (right click on banner and choose properties too see the web address of the images location)
        3. This is because some websites serve their banners from the same site as the content, in those cases a Hosts file will not block them as it would stop access to the entire site which isn&#39;t the idea, this Hosts file blocks access only if they have a seperate advert server to the main one and it is in this Hosts file, otherwise adverts will be seen
        4. If you use a specific web proxy (specified by your ISP&#39;s internet settings) then this Hosts file will not work as using a explicit proxy bypasses the Hosts file functionality. Please remember to that this file while being very comprehensive cannot include every banner server in the world and has included only the well known advertisers and mainly english speaking websites
        5. If you wish to have 100% advert free browsing then using something like the Promoxitron or Junkbuster proxy or Mozillas BannerBlind which will remove 99.9% of adverts
      6. How do you know if the file is working?
        1. Quite simply, can you see this site or this site or this site. If you can still see those sites than the Hosts file is not working and you should check your settings and installation
      7. Does this have a virus in it?
        1. No it doesn&#39;t, its only a plain text file so it cannot do any harm to your computer, there are no install programs or executable files just a simple single text file
    4. WINDOWS UPDATE NOTE: Akamai.net is used by Microsoft to host the Windows Update features, known as the "AutoUpdate" and "v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com [63.209.144.181]". In addition, Akamai.net also hosts others, such as ad/spware websites.

So if either feature of the Windows Update is not working and/or you get "Windows Update Failure - Error Code 0x800A138F". Then close ALL broswers&#39; windows, open hosts file, press {CTRL+F}->look for this address "a248.e.akamai.net [63.251.152.201]", without the brackets, and delete it then save and exit. Now try <span style='color:green'>https://a248.e.akamai.net/v4.windows...etmanifest.asp
      again. If it works, then go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and get your Updates. If it still does not work then your company or your ISP may be blocking this hostname. Or some anti-ad/spy programs may have this address blocked, such as SPYBLOCKER.

DO NOT DELETE ALL AKAMAI.NET SITES, OTHERWISE YOU WILL END UP WITH AD/SPY SITES POPING BACK.
      Below is a small sample of hundreds of the Akamai.net servers that process ad/spy sites:
      1. 0.0.0.0 a08.g.akamai.net
      2. 0.0.0.0 a1.g.akamai.net
      3. 0.0.0.0 a10.g.akamai.net
      4. 0.0.0.0 a100.g.akamai.net
      5. 0.0.0.0 a100.g.akamaitech.net
      6. 0.0.0.0 a1016.g.akamai.net
      7. 0.0.0.0 a1028.g.akamai.net
      8. 0.0.0.0 a1032.g.akamai.net
      9. 0.0.0.0 a104.g.akamai.net
      10. 0.0.0.0 a1040.g.akamai.net
      11. 0.0.0.0 a1061.g.akamai.net
      12. 0.0.0.0 a1066.g.akamai.net
      13. 0.0.0.0 a108.g.akamai.net
      14. 0.0.0.0 a11.g.akamai.net
      15. 0.0.0.0 a1100.g.akamai.net
      16. 0.0.0.0 a111.g.akamai.net
      17. 0.0.0.0 a1156.g.akamai.net
      18. 0.0.0.0 a1168.g.akamai.net
      19. 0.0.0.0 a117.g.akamaitech.net
      20. 0.0.0.0 a1172.g.akamaitech.net
      21. 0.0.0.0 a1180.g.akamai.net
      22. 0.0.0.0 a1196.g.akamai.net
      23. 0.0.0.0 a12.g.akamai.net
      24. 0.0.0.0 a12.g.akamaitech.net
      25. 0.0.0.0 a1208.g.akamai.net
      26. 0.0.0.0 a1224.g.akamaitech.net
      27. 0.0.0.0 a1228.g.akamai.net
      28. 0.0.0.0 a1234.g.akamai.net
      29. 0.0.0.0 a1240.g.akamaitech.net
      30. 0.0.0.0 a1252.g.akamai.net
      31. 0.0.0.0 a1261.g.akamai.net
      32. 0.0.0.0 a1284.g.akamai.net
      33. 0.0.0.0 a13.g.akamai.net
      34. 0.0.0.0 a1300.g.akamai.net
      35. 0.0.0.0 a1316.g.akamai.net
      36. 0.0.0.0 a1356.g.akamai.net
      37. 0.0.0.0 a1360.g.akamai.net
      38. 0.0.0.0 a1380.g.akamai.net
      39. 0.0.0.0 a14.g.akamai.net
    </span>
    Now continue to Example 3, below

RESULTS WILL VARY

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    HOW TO BLOCK ADS AND MAINTAIN THE SUPERTRICK (hosts file - example 3)
    The most common way of detecting spam is by using spam databases (blacklists, sometimes incorrectly referred to as RBLs, since RBL is trademarked by MAPS) that list the addresses of mail servers known (or believed) to send spam. This is done by taking the IP address of the remote mail server, converting it to a domain name using the ip4r format (1.2.3.4 becomes 4.3.2.1.bl.example.com), and seeing if that name exists.

Below is a list of all known DNS-based spam databases (some links may be temporarley down or unresolved, please send me a PM with any:

1. Standard IP-based Spam Databases
      1. ABL - ”Arbitrary Blackhole List. No TXT records, missing test entry 127.0.0.2. Warning: Is not testable.”
      2. BGISOCBL - ”Bulgarian Spam Prevention System. Designed primarily to protect isoc.bg&#39;s members from receiving Bulgarian spam. Warning: Is not testable.”
      3. BGISOCWL - ”Bulgarian Spam Prevention System Whitelist. Designed primarily to protect isoc.bg&#39;s members from receiving Bulgarian spam; this is a WHITELIST, which lists &#39;good&#39; IPs. No TXT records, missing test entry 127.0.0.2. Warning: Is not testable.”
      4. BLARSBL - ”Confirmed that it is working on 24 Oct 2001. Has 15 different return values, indicating the reason for the listing (IE could be split up into as many as 12 tests). Includes interesting tests such as no abuse@ - address, and originating a DoS attack. Does not have TXT records. Warning: May contain a number of IPs that no longer are associated with spammers, and are now allocated to legitimate customers that can not be removed. May also blacklist entire ISPs.”
      5. BLITZEDALL - ”Combines the BLITZEDHTTP, BLITZEDSOCKS, BLITZEDWINGATE, BLITZEDCISCO, and BLITZEDPOST tests. Confirmed that it is working on 09 Apr 2002.”
      6. BLITZEDCISCO - ”Lists Cisco proxies. Assumed to be working on 20 Feb 2003 (since bitmask tests can&#39;t be tested).”
      7. BLITZEDHTTP - ”Lists open HTTP (CONNECT) proxies. Confirmed that it is working on 03 Feb 2002.”
      8. BLITZEDPOST - ”Lists open HTTP (POST) proxies. Assumed to be working on 20 Feb 2003 (since bitmask tests can&#39;t be tested).”
      9. BLITZEDSOCKS - ”Lists open SOCKS proxies. Confirmed that it is working on 03 Feb 2002.”
      10. BLITZEDWINGATE - ”Lists open wingate proxies. Confirmed that it is working on 03 Feb 2002.”
      11. BONDEDSENDER - ”A whitelist of E-mail senders that have posted a bond to help prove that their E-mail is legitimate.”
      12. BORDERWORLDSBL - ”A private spam database. Warning: Is not testable.”
      13. CBL - ”Lists IPs that send to large spamtraps, and are running open proxies, worms/viruses, trojan horses, etc. Confirmed 01 Aug 2003.”
      14. CHICKENBONER - ”Unknown, apparently no website. Warning: Is not testable.”
      15. CLUECENTRAL - ”Lists IPs in certain countries. Missing test entry 127.0.0.2. Confirmed 18 Jun 2002 Warning: Is not testable.”
      16. COMPU-PMO - ”Undocumented. Apparently lists "pm0.com" sources. Confirmed 10 Jan 2002. Warning: Is not testable.”
      17. CSMA - ”Lists IPs of mailservers that send spam twice in a short timeframe to the McFadden Associates mailservers. Confirmed 29 Sep 2003.”
      18. CSMA-SBL - ”Lists IPs of mailservers that send spam to the McFadden Associates mailservers, even once. More aggressive than the CSMA test, and best used with score-based anti-spam programs. Confirmed 20 - Oct 2003.”
      19. COMPU - ”Undocumented (but confirmed). &#39;Primarily for hosts which were not blocked by other blackhole sites and spammed compu.net&#39; according to one source.”
      20. DEADBEEF - ”Lists ISPs that have no way to report abuse. Confirmed 11 Mar 2003.”
      21. DNSRBL-DUN - ”Lists dialup lines (modems, DSL, cable). Warning: uses 127.0.0.1 as its test entry. Verified 19 Jun 2002.”
      22. DNSRBL-SPAM - ”Lists known spammers, based on E-mail sent to &#39;honey pot&#39; addresses. Warning: uses 127.0.0.1 as its test entry. Verified 19 Jun 2002.”
      23. DSBL - ”Distributed Sender Boycott List. This is a &#39;trusted&#39; portion of DSBL, that accepts submissions of open relays and any other unsecure servers that spammers can use to send spam. Confirmed on 28 Mar 2002.”
      24. DSBLALL - ”Distributed Sender Boycott List. This is the &#39;untrusted&#39; version (IE anyone can submit to it) of the DSBL database, which accepts submissions of open relays and any other unsecure servers that spammers can use to send spam. Note that it will likely contain some popular free mail services and the like, if their users maliciously submit entries. Confirmed on 05 Apr 2002.”
      25. DSBLMULTI - ”Distributed Sender Boycott List. This is a &#39;trusted&#39; portion of DSBL, that lists multi-hop relays from trusted sources. Confirmed on 09 Apr 2002.”
      26. DUINV - ”Lists IPs that belong to dialup connections. No TXT records, missing test entry 127.0.0.2. Warning: Is not testable.”
      27. DULRU - ”Apparently lists dialup lines in Russia (site is in Russian). No TXT records, missing test entry 127.0.0.2. Warning: Is not testable.”
      28. EASYNET-DNSBL - ”Lists direct spam sources, indirect spam sources (using open relays or other conduits to send spam), open proxy hits, Spamhaus SBL hits, opt-out mailers, and relay-probing sources. Click link for full - description. Confirmed that the zone and entries exist on Nov 26 2001. Was WIREHUB-DNSBL.”
      29. EASYNET-DYNA - ”Lists dynamic IP ranges (per /24, to attain maximum granularity and a minimum of false postives by probing several IP numbers in each /24 and examining PTR records). Confirmed 14 Dec 2001. Was WIREHUB-DYNA.”
      30. EASYNET-PROXIES - ”Lists both regular open proxies and trojaned servers with open proxy functionality. Was WIREHUB-PROXIES.”
      31. FABELSOURCES - ”Lists networks (mostly in Asia and South America) that keep sending spam. Confirmed on 23 Jan 2002.”
      32. FIVETENDUL - ”Lists spam sites before they get into DUL; includes some DSL IPs. NOTE: If you are listed, you can find the address to get removed on their page (&#39;blackhole&#39.”
      33. FIVETENFREE - ”Lists mailservers used by free mail services that either have no abuse address address listed at abuse.net, or that ignore abuse complaints. NOTE: If you are listed, you can find the address to get removed on their page (&#39;blackhole&#39.”
      34. FIVETENIGNORE - ”Lists IP ranges of companies that ignore spam complaints. Warning: May block large ISPs. NOTE: If you are listed, you can find the address to get removed on their page (&#39;blackhole&#39.”
      35. FIVETENKLEZ - ”Lists mailservers that send AV notification responses to Klez and similar viruses that forge the return address. NOTE: If you are listed, you can find the address to get removed on their page (&#39;blackhole&#39.”
      36. FIVETENMULTI - ”Lists multi-stage open relays. NOTE: If you are listed, you can find the address to get removed on their page (&#39;blackhole&#39.”
      37. FIVETENOPTIN - ”Lists bulk mailers that don&#39;t use confirmed opt-in. NOTE: If you are listed, you can find the address to get removed on their page (&#39;blackhole&#39.”
      38. FIVETENOTHER - ”Lists servers with &#39;other issues.&#39; NOTE: If you are listed, you can find the address to get removed on their page (&#39;blackhole&#39.”
      39. FIVETENSINGLE - ”Lists single-stage open relays. NOTE: If you are listed, you can find the address to get removed on their page (&#39;blackhole&#39.”
      40. FIVETENSRC - ”Lists direct spam sources. WARNING: Lists entire Class B ranges if 1 IP sends them spam&#33; NOTE: If you are listed, you can find the address to get removed on their page (&#39;blackhole&#39.”
      41. FIVETENTCPA - ”Lists companies that violate the TCPA act, by leaving pre-recorded telephone sales calls or not maintaining a do-not-call list. NOTE: If you are listed, you can find the address to get removed on their page (&#39;blackhole&#39.”
      42. FIVETENWEBFORM - ”Lists servers running vulnerable web scripts that can send spam. NOTE: If you are listed, you can find the address to get removed on their page (&#39;blackhole&#39.”
      43. FLOWGO - ”Unknown and undocumented, but operational (confirmed 24 Oct 2001). &#39;Lists FloNetwork systems&#39; according to one source. Flonetwork was apparently bought out by DoubleClick.”
      44. GIPPER - ”A listing of computers which are running an insecure HTTP proxy that allows arbitrary port connections. No TXT records, no 127.0.0.2 test entry. Warning: Is not testable.”
      45. GIRL - ”Gweep.ca Insecure Relay List. Lists open relays. No TXT records, no 127.0.0.2 test entry. Warning: Is not testable.”
      46. GRIP - ”Randomly lists random IPs. Obviously, this should not be used as a spam test. No TXT records, no 127.0.0.2 test entry. Warning: Is not testable.”
      47. HIL - ”Lists IPs of mailservers that infringe on Habeas&#39; intellectual property, and are unwilling or unable to rectify the situation in a timely matter. Note that it is not DNS-accessible yet; it requires that you connect directly to hil.habeas.com. No TXT records. Confirmed 30 Oct 2002. Warning: Is not testable.”
      48. HILLI - ”Undocumented.”
      49. HUL - ”Lists IPs of Habeas licensees. Used as a whitelist. Requires a license agreement to be filled out. Warning: Is not testable.”
      50. ICMFORBIDDEN - ”Lists IPs of companies that took ORBS to court. No TXT records, no 127.0.0.2 test entry. Warning: Is not testable.”
      51. INFORMATIONWAVE - ”Lists spammers. No TXT records, no 127.0.0.2 test entry. Warning: Is not testable.”
      52. INTERSIL - ”Undocumented (but confirmed).”
      53. IPWHOIS - ”Lists domains that have incorrect or otherwise bad information in their IP whois data. Note that this MAY have the same flaw as the BADWHOIS test and could list major portions of the Internet.”
      54. JAMMDNSBL - ”Currently undocumented. Returns 127.0.0.2 for spammers, .3 for open relays, .4 for insecure E-mail scripts, .5 for open proxies, and .6 for dynamic IP ranges. WARNING: Lists IP ranges for some entire countries.”
      55. KEMPTBL - ”Lists any mailserver that sends spam or E-mail with forged headers. You must contact them to use it. Warning: Is not testable.”
      56. KITHRUP - ”Unknown. Note the possibly odd &#39;0.0.0.0&#39; response that could break existing anti-spam programs.”
      57. KROPKA-IP - ”Lists static IPs, whole networks. Warning: Is not testable.”
      58. KROPKA-DIALUPS - ”Lists dialups and dynamic IPs. Warning: Is not testable.”
      59. KROPKA-RELAYS - ”Lists open relays. Warning: Is not testable.”
      60. KROPKA-PROXIES - ”Lists open proxies. Warning: Is not testable.”
      61. KROPKA-FORMS - ”Lists unsecured forms and subscriptions. Warning: Is not testable.”
      62. KROPKA-LAMEAV - ”Lists systems that send virus notifications to forged sender. Warning: Is not testable.”
      63. KUNDENSERVER - ”Run by a large web hosting company that tests mailservers that connect to it, to see if they are open relays. Lists the open relays for several weeks/months.”
      64. LBL - ”Has many different criteria for listing, such as companies that favor spam, spamware vendors.”
      65. LNSGBLOCK - ”Lists blocks of addresses that may contain spammers, but only if there are no reverse DNS entries. Confirmed test entry on 08 Jan 2002.”
      66. LNSGBULK - ”Lists bulk mailers that don&#39;t have confirmed opt-in, or that allow spam to be sent. Confirmed test entry on 08 Jan 2002.”
      67. LNSGDUL - ”Lists dialup lines (remember, DUL-type tests should NOT be run against local users). Confirmed that the zone exists on 30 Oct 2001, confirmed test entry on 08 Jan 2002.”
      68. LNSGMULTI - ”Lists multiple stage open relays that are not on other spam databases. Confirmed test entry on 08 Jan 2002.”
      69. LNSGOR - ”Lists single-stage open relays that are not on other spam databases. Confirmed test entry on 08 Jan 2002.”
      70. LNSGSRC - ”Lists spam sources (any mail server sending spam). Confirmed test entry on 08 Jan 2002.”
      71. MAILDEFLECTOR - ”A pay service that lists IPs based on spambait addresses and customer submissions. Customers can add/remove IP ranges and/or countries for their own use, using a simple checkbox list. &#036;150/year/server, 60 day free trial (free for non-profits/hobbyists). Warning: Is not testable.”
      72. MAPS-DUL - ”MAPS DUL (Dialup User List) was another very important ip4r DNS lookup, but since it now requires a subscription, other dialup tests may be used instead. It lists the IP addresses of lots of &#39;dialup lines&#39; -- the connections that individuals get when then dial into the Internet. Although lots of legitimate E-mail originates from dialup lines, legitimate users very rarely if ever send mail directly to the receiving SMTP server; they send mail to their ISP&#39;s mail server. Therefore, it is safe to say that if anyone listed in DUL connects to your mail server, they are not sending legitimate E-mail. We recommend using the DUL test. A pay service as of 7/31/2001. Warning: Is not testable.”
      73. MAPS-NML - ”MAPS NML (Non-confirming Mailing List) lists mail servers that send out mailing list E-mail for lists that do not confirm the subscriptions. Mailing lists that send E-mail without confirming will often end up sending spam, as people think it is a cute practical joke to add their friends to the list.A pay service. Unconfirmed. Warning: Is not testable.”
      74. MAPS-OPS - ”MAPS OPS (Open Proxy Stopper) lists computers that are running open proxies. A pay service. Unconfirmed. Warning: Is not testable.”
      75. MAPS-RBL - ”MAPS RBL (Realtime Blackhole List) was once the most important ip4r DNS lookup, but it is less used now that it requires a subscription. It lists networks known to be friendly or neutral to spammers. In most cases, it is very good about only listing mail servers that send out a lot of spam, and not simply open relays that get hijacked once and then are secured. Because of this, we recommend using the RBL test. A pay service as of 7/31/2001. Warning: Is not testable.”
      76. MAPS-RBLPLUS - ”MAPS RBL+ is a paid service that apparently combines RBL, RSS, DUL, and OPS into a single lookup. It appears that you can&#39;t test it without a subscription. Warning: Is not testable.”
      77. MAPS-RSS - ”MAPS RSS (Relay Spam Stopper) lists spam-relaying mail servers. These are open relays that have been known to send spam. They may well be legitimate mail servers that were open relays, and may be closed soon. However, they were open relays and did send spam. This is similar to RBL, except that the mail servers may be anti-spam and quick to fix the problem. In that case, you may be blocking legitimate mail until the problem is fixed. There is no grace period, so if the server is caught sending spam and is still an open relay, it will be listed immediately. In June, 2001 it contained about 100,000 mail servers&#33; A pay service as of 7/31/2001. Warning: Is not testable.”
      78. MITSUBISHI - ”A private spam database. You can perform a lookup at http://www.DNSstuff.com
      79. NERD - ”Lists IPs in certain countries. Missing test entry of 127.0.0.2. Confirmed 18 Jun 2002. Warning: Is not testable.”
      80. NETHERRELAYS - ”Lists mailservers that send to non-existent accounts at nether.net. Zone transfers requested for large use hosts.”
      81. NETHERUNSURE - ”Lists mailservers that cannot be tested. Zone transfers requested for large use hosts.”
      82. NJABL - ”Lists open relays and known spam sources. Test listing confirmed 07 Jan 2002.”
      83. NJABLDUL - ”Lists dialup lines and other dynamic IP ranges. NOTE: As with other dialup lists, you should NOT use this to scan mail from your users, if you are an ISP. Test listing confirmed 07 Jan 2002.”
      84. NJABLFORMMAIL - ”Lists servers with insecure formmail scripts. Test listing confirmed 29 Oct 2002.”
      85. NJABLMULTI - ”Lists multi-stage open relays. Will notify the appropriate NIC one week in advance of listing, to allow them to correct the problem. Test listing confirmed 29 Oct 2002.”
      86. NJABLPROXIES - ”Lists open proxy servers. Test listing confirmed 29 Oct 2002.”
      87. NJABLSOURCES - ”Lists spam sources. Will include commercial spammers, direct-to-mx, and proxies. IP ranges will be added only if they can be identified with the spammer. Test listing confirmed 29 Oct 2002.”
      88. NLKUNBLACKLIST - ”Documentation not in English. No TXT records, missing test entry of 127.0.0.2. Warning: Is not testable.”
      89. NLKUNWHITELIST - ”Documentation not in English. Apparently a whitelist. No TXT records, missing test entry of 127.0.0.2. Warning: Is not testable.”
      90. NOMOREFUNN - ”Undocumented. Will list dialup networks that send spam, and are outside Scandinavia. Lists IPs that send spam or attempt relaying. Also lists networks of Danish spammers. Confirmed 09 Apr 2002.”
      91. ORID - ”Designed to list mailservers sending spam, at the time they are sending it (not before or after).”
      92. ORDB - ”Open Relay Database. Lists open relays. Has corresponding TXT records. Had about 81,000 entries as of 7/23/01, hit 200,000 on 22 Jan 2002. Will notify servers when they get listed, and will automatically re-test periodically.”
      93. ORVEDB - ”Lists hosts that are verified as open relays. No TXT records, missing test entry 127.0.0.2. Warning: Is not testable.”
      94. PDL - ”Pan-Am Internet Services&#39; Dynamic List. Lists home dialup, broadband, and similar networks. No TXT records, missing 127.0.0.2 test entry. Warning: Is not testable.”
      95. POSTFIXGATE - ”A pay service with a list of mail servers that send spam. Includes TXT records. Verified Nov 28 2001. Warning: Is not testable.”
      96. RELAYWATCHER - ”RelayWatcher was designed to create a network of relay testers that report their results to a central server.”
      97. REYNOLDSOHPS - ”Reynolds Open HTTP Proxy Server Block List. Lists servers that have open web proxies that are being abused. Free for first 1,000 lookups per day. Confirmed on 24 Jan 2003.”
      98. REYNOLDSOMRS - ”Reynolds Open Multi-Level Relay Server Block List. [*Both ip4r and rhsbl*] Lists servers that are open multi-level relays and being abused. Unclear where the domains come from (RHSBL, reverse DNS, HELO, etc.). Also appears to list open proxies. Free for first 1,000 lookups per day. Confirmed on 24 Jan 2003.”
      99. REYNOLDSOSPS - ”Reynolds Open Socks Proxy Server Block List. [*Both ip4r and rhsbl*] Lists servers that have open socks proxies that are being abused. Unclear where the domains come from (RHSBL, reverse DNS, HELO, etc.). Free for first 1,000 lookups per day. Confirmed on 24 Jan 2003.”
      100. REYNOLDSOSRS - ”Reynolds Open Single-level Relay Server Block List. [*Both ip4r and rhsbl*] Lists servers that are open relays and being abused. Unclear where the domains come from (RHSBL, reverse DNS, HELO, etc.). Also appears to list open proxies. Free for first 1,000 lookups per day. Confirmed on 24 Jan 2003.”
      101. REYNOLDSOWFS - ”Reynolds Open Web Form Server Block List. [*Both ip4r and rhsbl*] Lists servers with web form scripts that have been abused. Unclear where the domains come from (RHSBL, reverse DNS, HELO, etc.). Free for first 1,000 lookups per day. Confirmed on 24 Jan 2003.”
      102. REYNOLDSOWPS - ”Reynolds Open Wingate Proxy Server Block List. Lists servers that have open wingates that are being abused. Free for first 1,000 lookups per day. Confirmed on 24 Jan 2003.”
      103. REYNOLDSRDTS - ”Reynolds Dialup/DSL Type Services Block List. Lists dialup, DSL, and other dynamic IP ranges. Free for first 1,000 lookups per day. Confirmed on 24 Jan 2003.”
      104. REYNOLDSRICN - ”Reynolds Incorrectly Configured Networks. Lists networks which appear to be incorrect configured. Includes networks with no/few reverse DNS entries, or lots of spam. Appears to list Class C ranges (dangerous&#33 rather than assigned network ranges. Free for first 1,000 lookups per day. Confirmed on 24 Jan 2003.”
      105. REYNOLDSRMST - ”Reynolds Multiple Spam Traps Block List. [*Both ip4r and rhsbl*] Lists IPs/domains that send to spamtraps. Unclear where the domains come from (RHSBL, reverse DNS, HELO, etc.). Free for first 1,000 lookups per day. Confirmed on 24 Jan 2003.”
      106. REYNOLDST1 - ”Reynolds &#39;Type 1&#39; Block List. Lists servers that are listed in any of the other Reynolds lists. Free for first 1,000 lookups per day. Confirmed on 23 Jan 2003.”
      107. ROPE - ”Undocumented except in a mailing list. Apparently lists IPs sending spam to the person running rope.net. Confirmed 09 Apr 2002. No TXT records.”
      108. RSBL - ”Lists hosts that were verified a true and ostensible spammer activity. Warning: Will list legitimate mailservers that have no reverse DNS entry. No TXT records, missing test entry 127.0.0.2. Warning: Is not testable.”
      109. RSL - ”visi.com Relay Stop List (RSL) is a list of mail servers that have relayed spam recently.”
      110. SATOS - ”A personal blacklist, that lists IPs of spammers that send to the administrator of cluecentral.net. Warning: Is not testable.”
      111. SBBL - ”Lists IPs of mailservers that send to spambait addresses at they.com. IPs are automatically removed.”
      112. SBL - ”Spamhaus Block List. Lists &#39;known spammers, spam gangs or spam support services&#39;. Confirmed on 21 Mar 2002.”
      113. SCHULTE - ”Lists mailservers that the administrator of the schulte.org domain doesn&#39;t want to get mail from. No TXT records, missing 127.0.0.2 test entry. Warning: Is not testable.”
      114. SDERB - ”Scary Devil Enterprises Realtime Blocklist. Lists IPs of mailservers that have sent mail to bad addresses on SDE mailservers in the past 2 1/2 hours, that are not in several other spam databases. No TXT records, missing 127.0.0.2 test entry. Warning: Is not testable.”
      115. SENDERBASE - ”Keeps track of how much E-mail is being sent from IPs/domains, has information about many of them, and will soon have a DNS lookup service. Warning: Is not testable.”
      116. SERVICESNET - ”Lists all IPs in South Korea; see URL for details. Unconfirmed 28 Oct 2002 due to no 127.0.0.2 test entry. Warning: Is not testable.”
      117. SORBS-BLOCK - ”Spam and Open Relay Blocking System. This test lists networks that request never to be tested. Confirmed on 28 Aug 2003. Can also be used with the zone block.dnsbl.sorbs.net.”
      118. SORBS-DUL - ”Spam and Open Relay Blocking System. This test lists dynamic IP ranges. Confirmed on 28 Aug 2003. Can also be used with the zone dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net.”
      119. SORBS-HTTP - ”Spam and Open Relay Blocking System. This test lists Open HTTP Proxy servers. Confirmed on 11 Dec 2002. May return multiple A records. Can also be used with the zone http.dnsbl.sorbs.net.”
      120. SORBS-MISC - ”Spam and Open Relay Blocking System. This test lists open proxy servers not listed in the SORBS-HTTP or SORBS-SOCKS tests. Confirmed on 11 Dec 2002. May return multiple A records. Can also be used with the zone misc.dnsbl.sorbs.net.”
      121. SORBS-SMTP - ”Spam and Open Relay Blocking System. This test lists open relays. Confirmed on 11 Dec 2002. May return multiple A records. Can also be used with the zone smtp.dnsbl.sorbs.net.”
      122. SORBS-SOCKS - ”Spam and Open Relay Blocking System. This test lists Open SOCKS Proxy servers. Confirmed on 11 Dec 2002. May return multiple A records. Can also be used with the zone socks.dnsbl.sorbs.net.”
      123. SORBS-SPAM - ”Spam and Open Relay Blocking System. This test lists hosts that have sent spam to the admins of SORBS. Confirmed on 11 Dec 2002. May return multiple A records. Can also be used with the zone spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net.”
      124. SORBS-WEB - ”Spam and Open Relay Blocking System. This test lists web servers which have vulnerabilities that can be used by spammers (such as formmail scripts). Confirmed on 11 Dec 2002. May return multiple A records. Can also be used with the zone web.dnsbl.sorbs.net.”
      125. SORBS-ZOMBIE - ”Spam and Open Relay Blocking System. This test lists networks hijacked from their original owners, some of which are already spamming.. Confirmed on 12 May 2003. Can also be used with the zone zombie.dnsbl.sorbs.net.”
      126. SPAMBAG - ”Lists networks that send out spam, perform dictionary attacks, both the direct sources and the networks used by them (and networks used to sell software used by them). Warning: Will list large ISPs that tolerate spamming (IE Sprint). May return codes other than 127.0.0.2. Test listing confirmed 14 Dec 2001.”
      127. SPAMCOP - ”Lists mail servers that have a high spam-to-legitimate-mail ratio. Catches about the most spam of all tests. Donations are requested.”
      128. SPEWS - ”SPEWS is a list of areas on the Internet which several system administrators deny E-mail from. Warning: Intentionally lists legitimate mailservers that either have IPs close to spammers, or that had problems in the past that have been completely fixed. Should not be used to block mail, although could be used in a weighting system.”
      129. TECHNOVISION - ”Lists IPs of mailservers that have sent spam to the administrator of technovision.dk.”
      130. TRIUMF - ”Unconfirmable on 09 Apr 2002. Warning: Is not testable.”
      131. TUBERLIN - ”Unconfirmable on 09 Apr 2002. No documentation. Warning: Is not testable.”
      132. UCEB - ”A hardcore spam list; lists mailservers that have sent spam. Returns multiple A records. Confirmed 29 Oct 2002.”
      133. URBL - ”Lists every IP address (for the totally clueless: that means that every E-mail from anybody on the Internet will be blocked). Should not be used, of course. This one was included because it has a good point: you REALLY should know what and why a test blocks before using it. Confirmed 09 Apr 2002. Warning: Is not testable.”
      134. US - ”Lists IPs of about 20 different countries and many ISPs (one zone per country/ISP), including Verio. Confirmed 23 Aug 2002. Warning: Is not testable.”
      135. VOX - ”Lists IPs that phydiux.com and it&#39;s partners have received spam from. Confirmed on 23 Oct 2002.”
      136. WSFF - ”Unconfirmable on 09 Apr 2002. No documentation. Warning: Is not testable.”
      137. WYTNIJ - ”Looks like a valid spam database, but untestable (on 24 Mar 2002). Instruction appear to be in Polish, although it&#39;s a Tonga domain. Warning: Is not testable.”
      138. XBL - ”Extreme spam Blocking List, possibly designed to have every known IP listed. Warning: They include Sprint and uunet IPs, and will not remove non-spammers from the list. Can return 127.0.0.2 as well as the documented 127.0.0.4. Re-confirmed 21 Mar 2002.”
      139. YAMTA-SPAM - ”Lists IPs of spammers that have sent spam to the servers of the people that run this test. Confirmed on 30 Jun 2003.”
      140. YAMTA-PROBES - ”Lists IPs of spammers that probed the servers of the people that run this test, to see if they are running an open relay. Confirmed on 30 Jun 2003..”
      141. YBL - ”Lists all known Yahoo (and subsidiaries) netblocks, worldwide. Confirmed on 01 Jun 2002.”
    Now continue to Next step, below
    RELATING POSTS: Comming Soon...

RESULTS WILL VARY

HOW TO SPEED-UP YOUR IP RESOLVING IN THE SUPERTRICK (hosts file)

Continuing from example 1 & example 2:
    1. Gather and Insert IP into HOSTS file
      1. Download and Install <span style='color:green'>ActiveURLs, you will need this - "Smart explorer-like bookmark manager and web monitoring program. Detects dead links and duplicates, checks web sites for new stuff, monitor web-site availability
      2. Enable and Clean your Internet Log Program
        1. If you have Sygate Personal Firewarll, then
          • Double-click on the icon in the notification area (bottom right corner of Windows)
          • From menu, select TOOLS then OPTIONS
          • Click on the "Log" tab. Change "Traffic Log File" and "Capture Full Packet" sizes to 10000. Make sure you "Capture Full Packet" is checked and hit "OK" to close that window
          • Click the "Log" button
            Make sure all programs that could access the internet are closed
          • From menu, select "Traffic Log". Then "File" & "Clear". Do the same to the "Packet Log"
        2. If you have Norton Internet Security, then
          1. Double-click on the icon in the notification area (bottom right corner of Windows)
          2. In the left, under "Norton Internet Security", select "Statistics"
          3. Click "View Logs" button
          4. A window opens. Right-click on "Connections" and select "Enable Loggin" then "Change Log File Size" to 2048K and click "OK"
          5. Highlight "Connections". From menu, select "Log" then "Clear Category"
        </span>
      3. Check ALL of your bookmarks using ActiveURLs and/or browse to sites u regularly visit
      4. Using Excel combine the files, if there is more than one. All you need is the Remote Host IP and Remote Host and in that order
      5. Clean out the duplicates, localhost and any sites you feel are not worth to speed-up
      6. Open HOSTS file and inser a new line with # right after "127.0.0.1 localhost"
      7. Copy & paste the cells from Excel into the HOSTS file. Remember, the IP must in the first column then the letter address.
    2. Now for the FUN and SURE way of speeding
      1. Windows 2k/XP
        1. First, open the Windows Registry using Regedit, and (after backing up) navigate to:
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SYSTEM&#092;CurrentControlSet&#092;Services&#092;Tcpip&#092;ServiceProvider
        2. Note the following lines (all hex dwords):
          Class = 008 (8) - indicates that TCP/IP is a name service provider, don&#39;t change
          LocalPriority = 1f3 (499) - local names cache
          HostsPriority = 1f4 (500) - the HOSTS file
          DnsPriority = 7d0 (2000) - DNS
          NetbtPriority = 7d1 (2001) - NetBT name-resolution, including WINS
        3. What we&#39;re aiming to do is increase the priority of the last 4 settings, while keeping their order. The valid range is from -32768 to +32767 and lower numbers mean higher priority compared to other services. What we&#39;re aiming at is lower numbers without going to extremes, something like what&#39;s shown below should work well:
        4. Change the "Priority" lines to:
          LocalPriority = 005 (5) - local names cache
          HostsPriority = 006 (6) - the HOSTS file
          DnsPriority = 007 (7) - DNS
          NetbtPriority = 008 (8) - NetBT name-resolution, including WINS
        5. Reboot for changes to take effect
      2. Windows 9x/ME
        1. The tweak is essentialy the same as in Windows 2000/XP, just the location in the Registry is slightly different. For a more detailed description see the Windows 2000/XP section above
        2. Open the Windows Registry using Regedit, and (after backing up) navigate to:
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;System&#092;CurrentControlSet&#092;Services&#092;VxD&#092;MSTCP&#092;ServiceProvider
        3. You should see the following settings:
          Class=hex:08,00,00,00

LocalPriority=hex:f3,01,00,00
          HostsPriority=hex:f4,01,00,00
          DnsPriority=hex:d0,07,00,00
          NetbtPriority=hex:d1,07,00,00
        4. The "priority" lines should be changed to:
          LocalPriority=hex:05,00,00,00
          HostsPriority=hex:06,00,00,00
          DnsPriority=hex:07,00,00,00
          NetbtPriority=hex:08,00,00,00
        5. Reboot for changes to take effect
    3. System.ini IRQ Tweak - Windows 9x/ME ONLY
      1. Find your Network Card&#39;s IRQ
        1. In order to add the entry to your System.ini file, you&#39;d first have to find your NIC&#39;s IRQ
        2. Right-click on My Computer icon on your Desktop, then left-click on Properties (a shortcut for that would be to press the &#39;Windows&#39; + &#39;Pause&#39; keys). Navigate to Device Manager and double-click on Computer. Under "View Resources" you will find a list of IRQs, each with description of the device that&#39;s using it. Note the IRQ number used by your Network Adapter
      2. Adding the entry to System.ini
        1. Once you&#39;ve found the IRQ of your Network Card, you need to reserve some RAM for its use, by adding an entry to the System.ini file. You can edit the file in any text editor, however the easiest way is to use Windows&#39; built in "System Configuration Editor"
        2. Navigate to Start > Run and type sysedit . Find the [386enh] Section in the System.ini file and add Irq[n]=4096 under it, where [n] is the IRQ number of your NIC and 4096 is the amount of RAM you want to reserve in Kbytes. We recommend using 4096, however you can experiment with different values if you want. Save changes in the file, exit and reboot for changes to take effect.
          Note: If you choose to try different values, keep in mind that reserving too much RAM for your NIC will decrease the amount of RAM available for applications, while reserving too little might not give the desired effect
      3. Additional Thoughts
        1. The only negative effect of the System.ini IRQ tweak is that it will reduce the amount of RAM available for running applications a bit, by reserving some specifically for your Network Card&#39;s use. The gain in performance usually outweighs the negative effect by far, considering any Computer with 32Mb of RAM or more
        2. This tweak may or may not work for you. It is not a documented tweak by Windows
        3. Keep in mind that if you add hardware to your system the IRQ of the Network Adapter might change, in which case you will need to modify the setting in System.ini
        4. In systems with multiple NICs, you might want to add the setting for both IRQs. Also, you could reserve RAM for other IRQs if you wish, just use common sense and don&#39;t forget it reduces the amount of RAM available for running applications
        5. If you are using an USB device, it does not have a specific IRQ, however you can try adding the entry using the IRQ of the USB Controller
        6. For internal Cable Modems, you&#39;d have to add the entry using the IRQ of your modem, rather than the IRQ of a Network Card

RESULTS WILL VARY

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    HOW TO STOP SPAM VIA WINDOWS MESSENGER SERVICE
    Below you&#39;ll find many ways (sorted in the most successful ratio first) to stop the Windows Messenger service, depending on your system environment, some may require more than one process. This service is available only on NT, 2K, XP & Server 2003. Administrator Login is REQUIRED

About The Messenger Service
    • Messenger is a Windows Service that runs in the background
    • Messenger is not the same as MSN Messenger or any other Instant Messaging Program
    • Messenger does not facilitate two-way chatting
    • Many Windows Programs, Firewalls, UPS and Antiviruses require the Messenger Service
    • Antivirus and UPS software, among others, may not work if Messenger is disabled
    • The Messenger Service is usually turned on by default in most Windows NT, 2K and XP systems
    1. Manually
      1. Example 1
        1. Click Start, Run and enter the following command:
          RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%&#092;inf&#092;msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
          NOTE: This will prevent a long delay when opening Outlook Express if you have the Contacts pane enabled
        2. To prevent this, click Start, Run and enter {REGEDIT} Go to:
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;Software&#092;Microsoft&#092;Outlook Express
        3. Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value
        4. Give it the name Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2
        5. End result should look EXACTLY like this:
          System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SOFTWARE&#092;Microsoft&#092;Outlook Express]
          Value Name: Hide Messenger
          Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
          Value Data: (2 = remove messenger)
      2. Example 2
        1. Copy and paste the following to Run Command Bar in the Start Menu:
          RunDll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
          %windir%&#092;inf&#092;msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
      3. Example 3
        1. If Example 5 didn&#39;t work, then try this - Many users miss or don&#39;t know of it
        2. Click on Start then go to RUN and type:
          C:&#092;WINDOWS&#092;inf&#092;sysoc.inf
        3. Change:
          msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7
        4. To:
          msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,7
        5. Then use Add/Remove Windows Components to remove Messenger
          NOTE: You can also prevent access to Windows Messenger using Group Policy or the Set Program Access and Defaults utility added by default in Windows XP SP1 and Windows 2000 SP3
      4. Example 4
        1. Open Windows Messenger
        2. From the menu, select "Tools" then "Options" then "Preferences" tab
        3. Uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts"
        4. Open Outlook Express
        5. From the menu, select "Tools" then "Options" then "General" tab
        6. Uncheck the option to "Automatically log on", if it&#39;s there
        7. Also in Outlook Express, select "View" then "Layout"
        8. Uncheck the option to "display Contacts" - The program will open a connection and display a list of all Contacts on line if you do not
        9. In "Startup Folder" make sure there is no entry there for Messenger
        10. Open Norton Anti-Virus if you have it installed
        11. Click "Options" then "Instant Messenger"
        12. Unckeck "Windows Messenger (recommended"
          NOTE: This list ought to work in disassociate MSN from Outlook Express, so that it&#39;ll only start up if you really want it to
      5. Example 5
        1. 2000
          • Click Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Administrative Tools->Services
          • Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
          • Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties
          • Click the STOP button
          • Select Disable in the Startup Type scroll bar
          • Click OK
        2. XP Home
          • Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
          • Click Performance and Maintenance
          • Click Administrative Tools
          • Double click Services
          • Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties
          • Click the STOP button
          • Click OK
        3. XP Professional
          • Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
          • Click Administrative Tools
          • Click Services
          • Double click Services
          • Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
          • Click the STOP button.
          • Click OK
        4. Windows NT
          • Click Start ->Control Panel
          • Double Click Administrative Tools
          • Select Services-> Double-click on Messenger
          • In the Messenger Properties window, select Stop
          • Then choose Disable as the Startup Type
          • Click OK
          NOTE: If you stop the service and don’t adjust the startup type, the Messenger service will start automatically the next time you reboot. Keep in mind that when you disable the Messenger service, you&#39;ll no longer receive messages about an attached UPS, and you won’t be notified of print job completion, performance alerts, or antivirus activity (from Windows) not the program you&#39;re using for those purposes.
      6. Example 6
        1. To disable receipt of messenger pop-ups, verify that your firewall disables inbound traffic on UDP ports 135, 137, and 138, and TCP ports 135 and 139. On a system connected directly to the Internet, you should also disable inbound traffic on TCP port 445. If the system you want to protect is part of a Win2K-based network with Active Directory (AD), don&#39;t block incoming traffic on port 445 - Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 330904
          NOTE: You can use the firewall approach only if your system doesn&#39;t communicate with legacy systems that rely on NetBIOS name resolution to locate machines and shared resources. If, for example, you let users running Windows 9x share your printer or scanner, when you disable inbound NetBIOS traffic, users won&#39;t be able to connect to these shared resources. Regardless of the method you choose, you can stop messenger spam
    2. Program
      1. Example 1
        1. NOTE: On Oct 15, 2003, Microsoft releases Critical Security Bulletin MS03-043 warning users that the Windows Messenger Service running and exposed by default in all versions of Windows NT, 2000 and XP, contains a "Remote Code Execution" vulnerability that allows any not otherwise secured and protected Windows machine to be taken over and remotely compromised over the Internet
        2. Shoot the Messenger
      2. Example 2
        1. Messenger Disable
          NOTE: If you choose to uninstall Windows Messenger on a system with SP1 installed, you will receive an error message about "un-registering" an OCX file. This is normal, and doest not affect the removal process. Windows Messenger will still be removed
    3. TEST
      1. Example 1
        1. Right-click "My Computer"
        2. Select "Manage"
        3. Under "System Tools" right-click on "Shared Folders"
        4. Choose "All Tasks" and select "Send Console Message..."
        5. If you recieve the following error message then the service has been disabled, otherwise confirm that you have disabled it or try another example
          "The following error occured while reading the list of sessions from Windows clients:
          Error 2114: The Server service is not started."
      2. Example 2
        1. Click Start then "Run"
        2. Type in {cmd.exe}
        3. Type in net send 127.0.0.1 hi
        4. If you get a popup "hi" message, then confirm that you have disabled it or try another example
    4. IF YOU INSIST
      1. If you insist on keeping Windows Messenger, then I&#39;d recommend Messenger Manager - "Allows you to keep your messenger service running, as is intended and needed by Windows. This ensures that vital system errors and notifications may be sent informing you of Important System Events"
      2. However, as a replacement to Windows Messenger remote control feature, I&#39;d recommend this free tool Virtual Network Computing - "It is a remote control software which allows you to view and interact with one computer (the "server") using a simple program (the "viewer") on another computer anywhere on the Internet. The two computers don&#39;t even have to be the same type, so for example you can use VNC to view an office Linux machine on your Windows PC at home"

HOW TO TWEAK THE REGISTRY SETTINGS FOR MAXIMUM PROTECTION FROM NETWORK ATTACK

The following registry settings will help to increase the resistance of the NT or Windows 2000 network stack to network denial of service attacks. All of the TCP/IP parameters are registry values located under the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    &#092;SYSTEM
    &#092;CurrentControlSet
    &#092;Services:
    &#092;Tcpip
    &#092;Parameters
    1. SynAttackProtect
      1. Key: Tcpip&#092;Parameters
      2. Value Type: REG_DWORD
      3. Valid Range: 0, 1, 2
        0 (no synattack protection)
        1 (reduced retransmission retries and delayed RCE (route cache entry) creation if the TcpMaxHalfOpen and TcpMaxHalfOpenRetried settings are satisfied.)
        2 (in addition to 1 a delayed indication to Winsock is made.)
        Note: When the system finds itself under attack the following options on any socket can no longer be enabled : Scalable windows (RFC 1323) and per adapter configured TCP parameters (Initial RTT, window size). This is because when protection is functioning the route cache entry is not queried before the SYN-ACK is sent and the Winsock options are not available at this stage of the connection.
      4. Default: 0 (False)
      5. Recommendation: 2
      6. Description: Synattack protection involves reducing the amount of retransmissions for the SYN-ACKS, which will reduce the time for which resources have to remain allocated. The allocation of route cache entry resources is delayed until a connection is made. If synattackprotect = 2, then the connection indication to AFD is delayed until the three-way handshake is completed. Also note that the actions taken by the protection mechanism only occur if TcpMaxHalfOpen and TcpMaxHalfOpenRetried settings are exceeded
    2. TcpMaxHalfOpen
      2. Value Type: REG_DWORD—Number
      3. Valid Range: 100–0xFFFF
      4. Default: 100 (Professional, Server), 500 (advanced server)
      5. Recommendation: default
      6. Description: This parameter controls the number of connections in the SYN-RCVD state allowed before SYN-ATTACK protection begins to operate. If SynAttackProtect is set to 1, ensure that this value is lower than the AFD listen backlog on the port you want to protect(see Backlog Parameters for more information) . See the SynAttackProtect parameter for more details
    3. TcpMaxHalfOpenRetried
      2. Value Type: REG_DWORD—Number
      3. Valid Range: 80–0xFFFF
      4. Default: 80 (Professional, Server), 400 (Advanced Server)
      5. Recommendation: default
      6. Description: This parameter controls the number of connections in the SYN-RCVD state for which there has been at least one retransmission of the SYN sent, before SYN-ATTACK attack protection begins to operate. See the SynAttackProtect parameter for more details
    4. EnablePMTUDiscovery
      2. Value Type: REG_DWORD—Boolean
      3. Valid Range: 0, 1 (False, True)
      4. Default: 1 (True)
      5. Recommendation: 0
      6. Description: When this parameter is set to 1 (True) TCP attempts to discover the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU or largest packet size) over the path to a remote host. By discovering the Path MTU and limiting TCP segments to this size, TCP can eliminate fragmentation at routers along the path that connect networks with different MTUs. Fragmentation adversely affects TCP throughput and network congestion. Setting this parameter to 0 causes an MTU of 576 bytes to be used for all connections that are not to hosts on the local subnet
    5. NoNameReleaseOnDemand
      1. Key: Netbt&#092;Parameters
      4. Default: 0 (False)
      5. Recommendation: 1
      6. Description: This parameter determines whether the computer releases its NetBIOS name when it receives a name-release request from the network. It was added to allow the administrator to protect the machine against malicious name-release attacks
    6. EnableDeadGWDetect
      6. Description: When this parameter is 1, TCP is allowed to perform dead-gateway detection. With this feature enabled, TCP may ask IP to change to a backup gateway if a number of connections are experiencing difficulty. Backup gateways may be defined in the Advanced section of the TCP/IP configuration dialog in the Network Control Panel. See the "Dead Gateway Detection" section in this paper for details
    7. KeepAliveTime
      2. Value Type: REG_DWORD—Time in milliseconds
      3. Valid Range: 1–0xFFFFFFFF
      4. Default: 7,200,000 (two hours)
      5. Recommendation: 300,000
      6. Description: The parameter controls how often TCP attempts to verify that an idle connection is still intact by sending a keep-alive packet. If the remote system is still reachable and functioning, it acknowledges the keep-alive transmission. Keep-alive packets are not sent by default. This feature may be enabled on a connection by an application
    8. PerformRouterDiscovery
      1. Key: Tcpip&#092;Parameters&#092;Interfaces&#092;
      3. Valid Range: 0,1,2
        0 (disabled)
        1 (enabled)
        2 (enable only if DHCP sends the router discover option)
      4. Default: 2, DHCP-controlled but off by default.
      6. Description: This parameter controls whether Windows 2000 attempts to perform router discovery per RFC 1256 on a per-interface basis. See also SolicitationAddressBcast
    9. EnableICMPRedirects
      5. Recommendation: 0 (False)
      6. Description: This parameter controls whether Windows 2000 will alter its route table in response to ICMP redirect messages that are sent to it by network devices such as a routers
    RESULTS WILL VARY

ONE LINERS THAT CAN HELP YOU RESOLVE/UNDERSTAND YOUR PROBLEM:
    1. When computer crashes while KL++ is running, some if not all downloads became corrupted
    2. Kazaa Lite will delete corrupted download when it starts, because it cannot resume them

RESULTS WILL VARY

HELPFUL LINKS:
    Please note that sometime you may need to try several of these tips to get to a solution.
    1. KL++ RELATED
      1. Privacy Protection - IMPORTANT
        Are you afraid of the entertainment industry? Does your country have stupid copyright laws? You don&#39;t share because you are afraid you get caught for doing so? The newest versions of Kazaa Lite (2.10 build 3 and newer) have the solution for you&#33; It is now possible to prevent other people from listing your shared files (find more from same user). Go to Options -> More Options. There you can enable the option to prevent people from listing your shared files.
        There is just one little downside to this, because it may let people think that you are not sharing any files. But for some people privacy is what counts. Enabling the option doesn&#39;t mean that you don&#39;t share files anymore&#33; People just can&#39;t list your shared files anymore. In fact more people should be able to start sharing because of this. 5 Reasons Not To Be Afraid Of The Riaa - Proxy Servers (thx PAUL) - For A L L That Use P2p Or Share Files, The Time Is Now - It Must End (EFF) - Using Proxies With Kazaa (kl++) thx REALITY
      2. Working Urls For The Main Website
      3. Working Urls for the DOWNLOAD site - IMPORTANT
      4. Forum Rules - IMPORTANT
      5. Online KL++ FAQ - Downloadable F.A.Q (right-click and &#39;save target as&#39 - IMPORTANT
      6. New(bie) F.a.q - IMPORTANT-thx sharedholder
      7. How To Post Verifieds, Sig2Dat and K-Sig Tutorials - IMPORTANT-thx Paul
      8. Strange Sound, Screeching Songs - IMPORTANT
      9. Can&#39;t Connect? - TRY HERE, OR HERE, OR HERE
      10. Only 1 User Online? - TRY HERE
      11. .dat file problem? - TRY HERE
      12. Are there any MAJOR bugs with the latest KL++ version?
        - No. If you are having problems, then try all solutions from the problems section of the FAQ and search on the forum for a similar problem, because there is a 99% chance that there already exist a topic about it. From the man himself, PAUL.

_
      13. PC stops responding, shuts down or reboots? TRY HERE, OR HERE, OR HERE, OR HERE, OR HERE, OR HERE, OR HERE
      14. Did U pay for KL++? TRY HERE
      15. KL++ and Linux - TRY HERE, AND HERE
      16. ALL TOOLS - "The starting point where you can find dozens of the most useful tools available online."
    2. OTHERS RELATED
      1. DNS STUFF - This site will provide you with DNS Timing, WHOIS Lookup, Abuse Lookup, WHOIS Search, URL deobfuscator, Free E-mail Lookup, Spam database lookup, Reverse DNS lookup, IPWHOIS Lookup, NetGeo IP Lookup, IP Routing Lookup, CIDR/Netmask Lookup, DNS lookup, Tracert, Ping, ISP cached DNS lookup & Decimal IPs
      2. MAILINATOR - "Have you ever needed an email .. NOW? Have you ever gone to a website that asks for your email for no reason (other than they are going to sell your email address to the highest bidder so you get spammed forever)?"
      3. PARANOIA REMAILER - "Mail, News, Type2 & SSL Encryption. An anonymous remailer is a computer which has been configured to run remailer software. This software is a specialized kind of email server software. Unlike average email server which goes to great lengths to log all incoming/outgoing traffic and add identifying and traceable info to its outgoing mail (in the form of headers) remailer software ensures that outgoing mail has been STRIPPED CLEAN of any identifying information&#33; Thus the name &#39;anonymous&#39; remailer"
      4. Online JPEG compressor - "Can help you to make your pages load faster by reducing the size of your JPEG files. It will display multiple versions of a given image compressed at different levels for you to pick the smallest image at the best possible image quality you require"

RESULTS WILL VARY