Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to get sound from computer to TV?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    That doesn't make any sense. Why would one 8800GT work better than the two 7900GTXs I have now?
    Last edited by Skizo; 03-27-2009 at 07:36 AM.

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. Why would one 8800GT work better than the two 7900GTXs I have now?
    Go ahead and just get the Radeon HD 4870 1 GB

POWERCOLOR AX4870 1GBD5-PPH Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Original Price: $204.99

You Save: $15.00

$189.99

$169.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131120

MSI R4870-T2D1G Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Original Price: $239.99

You Save: $40.00

$199.99

$174.99 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate

Free Shipping*

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127400

Edit: In addition to getting the Radeon HD 4870 1 GB video card the app below is something that you can try right away, it is much better then the open source H.264 codec

CoreCodec CoreAVC High Definition H.264 video codec

The CoreCodec CoreAVC High Definition H.264 video codec is based on the MPEG-4 Part 10 standard and is the video codec used in AVCHD, Blu-Ray and in HD-DVD. H.264 is the next-generation standard for video, and CoreAVC™ is being recognized as being the world's fastest H.264 software video decoder.

The efficiency of CoreAVC in 'software' is often compared to be faster than other solutions that try to rely on 'hardware' to increase playback performance of H.264 video.

After you install it then (example is with K-Lite Codec Pack installed)

Go to Programs, all programs, K-Lite Codec Pack, Configuration, ffdshow video decoder, then in the codecs category, under format, look for H.264 and to the right of H.264 select 'Disabled'

Now your video player that was using the open source libavcodec will now be using the CoreAVC Professional Codec for H.264

Then it will play more smoothly

This is just a thumbnail picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (169.0 KB, 6 views)
    Last edited by MackDaddy; 05-04-2009 at 09:03 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    The video card he has now should play 720p or 1080p fine. No need to upgrade imo.
    The choppiness is likely an issue with drivers or codecs.

Skizo, I don't think you mentioned this, does the choppiness happen only on the tv screen or also when playing hd on your pc monitor?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Tesco has a good point

In my experience, K-Lite Codec Pack works well, try uninstalling the codecs that you have and then install K-Lite Codec Pack

Your Uninstaller 2008 6.2.1347

http://download.cnet.com/Your-Uninst...html?tag=mncol

Edit: Sometimes when there are codec problems and then you uninstall them and then reinstall them it can give you a messege saying that a certain codec is broken, if it says that then continue with the installation of K-Lite Codec Pack and then uninstall the K-Lite Codec Pack again and then reinstall K-Lite Codec Pack again, the reason why it would say that is because of the problems that the original codecs before K-Lite Codec Pack had before that were not completely removed by the original uninstall

K-Lite Codec Pack

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

After K-Lite Codec Pack is installed then install CoreAVC Professional

Looking back I remember going through problems with the video playback like that and it was because of the codecs

It can also be because of the drivers for the video card
    Last edited by MackDaddy; 03-28-2009 at 01:07 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Dude, a 7900GTX can handle HD. You need not upgrade. It's all about the codecs and the player settings.

You need to get Core AVC installed like the others are saying, go into the settings in Windows Media Player Classic and make sure you force it to use the external core avc codec.

It can take a bit of fiddling but it is possible.

As for the sound issue, you need a sound card that can input the video from your GPU, add the audio, and output through the HDMI.
    Like this: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asu...hdmi,5597.html

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    The video card he has now should play 720p or 1080p fine. No need to upgrade imo.
    The choppiness is likely an issue with drivers or codecs.

Skizo, I don't think you mentioned this, does the choppiness happen only on the tv screen or also when playing hd on your pc monitor?
    Everything plays fine on my monitors - divx, 720, 1080 Blurays... everything.

Everything plays fine on the TV as well except the 1080 Bluray stuff.

As for codecs, I installed the CCCP pack this time around en lieu of the KLite Pack as per Snee's suggestion in the $20 thread.

I'm not sure what drivers could be the issue since things play fine on the monitor.

I'm a bit tempted to blame the HDMI cable at this point. I bought a new 10' cable off Craigslist for $10.

tesco, where should I go for quality, inexpensive cables? monoprice.com?

I may try the KLite pack when I get home.
    Last edited by Skizo; 03-27-2009 at 08:58 PM.

yo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    What kind of media player are using to play the BD to the TV with? Not to pounce on anything, but I would stay far away from codec packs, they tend to do more harm then good, I always rely on player like The KMPlayer and VLC that have all the required components to play video. VLC does support BD-Disc, but you will need to read into it. Also, if it play fine on your computer, but not your TV tends to be something else, and not codecs.

Are your graphic drivers up-to-date? The only thing I can imagine is not enough memory (and memory is dirt cheap http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...d_10_O261-8038)...

If you play Blu-ray by any other method than disc, I would strongly trying KMPlayer and VLC, they have built in "internal" codecs and are player independent.

I had the jerkiness with mkv files and it was because my CPU couldn't handle them, but since I upgraded I can run anything.

If you want to buy stuff, look here, cheaper than Newegg, and located close to you, and will get your order in about 2 days.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 03-27-2009 at 10:08 PM.
    [center]

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'm currently using VLC; newest version.

yo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    There are several factors that can contribute to the picture quality. The import quality of the copied file (bitrate, frame rate, resolution, etc), the capabilities of your video card, the quality and length of the HDMI connection to the TV (or even the HDMI cable itself, if you lived close to me I would give ya one for free, my cousin has a shit ton in the truck, cable installer...) are just a few of the potential issues that could be causing the problem.

Does your tv have “CineMotion”?
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 03-27-2009 at 10:39 PM.
    [center]

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    tesco, where should I go for quality, inexpensive cables? monoprice.com
    Quality is irrelevant imo, just use the cheapest hdmi 1.3 compliant cable that you can find.
    I've heard good things about monoprice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast