Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to get sound from computer to TV?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    OK, so I bought a 46" LCD TV and I want to watch TV, movies, music, etc. on it. Running an HDMI from the GPU to the TV will give me picture, but not sound. How do I get the sound over there?

Also, TV and DVD video comes over smoothly but Bluray is a bit choppy. How do I solve that issue as well? I've tried two different GPUs and get the same results. (GeForce 7900GTX with DVI->HDMI adapter, and also tried a GeForce 7300GT which has HDMI port)

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    you'll have to connect your PC soundcard audio-out to the tv audio-in. two cables, usually. how many sound channels does your tv support ?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    You can't get audio through DVI so you won't get it on the tv when using a dvi to hdmi cable.
    As for the vid card with the proper HDMI port, again it probably won't have sound because a video card is for video, not audio. Although some of the newer cards do have audio through the HDMI i'm not sure how you would enable it if you have it.

But my recomendation is to use something else for the audio. If you have a hdmi input on your tv that also accepts sound from something else, example RCA or 3.5mm, then use that.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    This is the type of cable that I use to get the audio from my computer to my tv

25 Ft SLV 3.5mm Male to 2 RCA Male Cable

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/24-9494

Product Description

Perfect for connecting audio sources (iPod, MP3, DVD,PC, and XM or Sirius satellite radio players) to an amplifier or home theater system, the Stellar Labs Value Series 3.5mm to dual RCA stereo cables feature bonded wires and tangle-free construction to help facilitate flexibility and compatibility among audio interconnects while reducing cable clutter. The long-lasting, corrosion resistant, gold plated barrel connectors are designed with custom tooled strain reliefs engineered to improve durability and reliability. Specifications: Color-coded connectors3.5mm male plug to dual RCA male plugs.

And your GPUs that you tried are a GeForce 7900GTX and a GeForce 7300GT

If you wanted to spend $130 on a GPU then these would be good buys

GeForce 9800 GTX+ / GeForce GTS 250

Radeon HD 4850

I would probalby go with the Radeon HD 4870 1 GB or the GeForce GTX 260 (Core 216)

If you wanted to spend $180 on a GPU then these would be good buys

Radeon HD 4870 1 GB

GeForce GTX 260 (Core 216)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...on,2218-3.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...on,2218-4.html

Also it is good to get as much ram as your system needs while the prices are good

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...Desktop-Memory
    Last edited by MackDaddy; 03-26-2009 at 11:41 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'll look into that cable. I didn't even know they made them like that.

As for the sketchy video, what it the most likely culprit? GPU? Memory?

Code:
    OS -   Windows V6.01 Ultimate (Single User)   V6.01  Build 7000    
    Mobo - Dell DXG061
    Mem -  2,048  
    CPU -  Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (Allendale) 2.13GHz   Family 6  Model 15 (0F)  Stepping 6  Revision C6  PAS 64GB  APIC 0.0.0  CPUs 2 Cores 2
    GPUs - GeForce 7900 GTX  512 MB memory
           GeForce 7600 GT  256 MB memory
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    You can't get audio through DVI so you won't get it on the tv when using a dvi to hdmi cable.
    As for the vid card with the proper HDMI port, again it probably won't have sound because a video card is for video, not audio. Although some of the newer cards do have audio through the HDMI i'm not sure how you would enable it if you have it.

But my recomendation is to use something else for the audio. If you have a hdmi input on your tv that also accepts sound from something else, example RCA or 3.5mm, then use that.
    Right, got it.

Is there any quality lost by going through the DVI? I'm trying to sort out which is the best option as I have both of these cards:

GeForce 7900GTX 256MB (with DVI -> HDMI adapter)
    GeForce 7600GT 256MB (with HDMI output)
    Last edited by Skizo; 03-27-2009 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

Code:
    Mobo - Dell DXG061
    Mem -  2,048  
    CPU -  Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (Allendale) 2.13GHz   Family 6  Model 15 (0F)  Stepping 6  Revision C6  PAS 64GB  APIC 0.0.0  CPUs 2 Cores 2

Right, got it.

Is there any quality lost by going through the DVI? I'm trying to sort out which is the best option as I have both of these cards:

If the video playback for 1080p or bluray is very choppy then you will have to get another video card and it would be good to get more ram, but if the video playback is just a little choppy then you might be able to do alright with increasing your ram by another 2 gigs

But I would recommend that you get another video card

You will fall in love with the Radeon HD 4870 1 GB for $180, it is a serious video card, and while you are at it you should get another 2 gigs or ram, I'll check which type that is the best that your motherboard can use and I'll reply back with what ram would be good, and with video cards it is best to try to get the single (1 video card) best video card that you can afford

From HDMI to DVI the video will not be comprimized in any way, only for video it is basically identical between hdmi and dvi, they are both digital and have basically the same bandwidth, but if you went from hdmi to vga or hdmi to rca or dvi to vga or dvi to rca then it would start out as digital and it would try to make it analog and that would create problems, also the bandwidth in vga and rca is lower then in hdmi and dvi

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by MackDaddy View Post
    This is the type of cable that I use to get the audio from my computer to my tv

25 Ft SLV 3.5mm Male to 2 RCA Male Cable

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/24-9494

Product Description

Perfect for connecting audio sources (iPod, MP3, DVD,PC, and XM or Sirius satellite radio players) to an amplifier or home theater system, the Stellar Labs Value Series 3.5mm to dual RCA stereo cables feature bonded wires and tangle-free construction to help facilitate flexibility and compatibility among audio interconnects while reducing cable clutter. The long-lasting, corrosion resistant, gold plated barrel connectors are designed with custom tooled strain reliefs engineered to improve durability and reliability. Specifications: Color-coded connectors3.5mm male plug to dual RCA male plugs.

Perfect and a good price , I only need about 12' . Funny how I never thought about the sound , I just assumed it would be there .

I have some old ATI tv out cards just lying around mabye they would work ? I have a Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS but don't think it has audio plug out .
    Last edited by Skizo; 03-27-2009 at 03:58 AM. Reason: fixed your quote tags

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

Code:
    Mobo - Dell DXG061
    Mem -  2,048  

Right, got it.

I think that these are the specs of your mobo

Dell XPS 700 (DXG061)

Standard Memory (Mb) 1024
    Is Standard Memory Removable Yes
    Number of Sockets 4
    Number of Banks 4
    Number of Modules per Bank 1
    Maximum Memory (Mb) 8192

You can have up to 8192 MB of ram, if you got another 4 GB of ram then you would have 6 GB of ram, that will make a major difference, although with playing full HD video it is mainly dependant on your video card

What is the speed of the ram that you have, I believe that it would be DDR2 ram but what is the MHz of the ram that you have installed?

If it is 800MHz then you can get this ram below and add it as well, it is only $40 for 4 GB (2 - 2GB sticks)

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

This is 800MHz

Original Price: $49.99
    You Save: $10.00

$39.99
    Free Shipping*

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231122

Edit: Before you buy any more ram that you look at the ram that is already in your computer, the info that you need to find in if it is DDR2 or DDR3 and the speed of it, these are common speeds of DDR2 and DDR3, if it is DDR2 667, 800, 1066MHz or if it is DDR3 1066, 1333, or 1600MHz

Also the info after the speed for example the info similar to this (PC2 5300) - (PC3 12800)

After you see what type of ram is in your computer then reply back with that info and I will see what I can find

DDR2

DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
    DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)
    DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

DDR3

DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
    DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
    DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
    DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I would say that all in all you need a better video card, not just more ram, but it would be good to get more ram as well

Between these two I would probably recommend the Radeon HD 4870 1 GB

There are different companies that make the Radeon HD 4870 1 GB and there are some that have better cooling that is included on the card, sometimes you have to pay a extra $10 - $20 for those Radeon HD 4870 1 GB cards but it is worth it

$180

Radeon HD 4870 1 GB

GeForce GTX 260 (Core 216)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...on,2218-4.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE
    Last edited by MackDaddy; 03-27-2009 at 05:07 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Hey bud, Well You cant use 8 gigs of ram if you're not using a 64 bit OS, which I dont think you are. The most you can use is 4 gigs (well 3.something). An easy solution is to get a new Vid card and although I'm a Nvidia man, for uses like this (HTPC) the raedon HD series does in fact pass the audio through the HDMI and will pass it from the DVI through the adapter and to the TV. Sorry Tess .I still don't know why Nvidia doesn't do this I would recommend this card as it worked fine for me playing 1080 on my 42"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161262

$45 after rebate and it WILL work for you

The ram you have is fine. Could you use more, sure it couldn't hurt but just for playing movies it's OK the way you have it now. If you do feel like upgrading get the G-skill 800 here ($40) I cant find specs on your Mobo but Im sure getting 1000 or 1066 would most likely be a waste as your FSB on the mobo would choke that higher ram speed down anyway.

Let us know what you decide man

EDIT: I did find that the max FSB for your mobo is 1066 so is the CPU so you could get the higher speed ram or easily OC the 800 but thats up to you
    Last edited by Detale; 03-27-2009 at 05:54 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I was figuring that Windows 7 was only 64 bit but I see that they have Windows 7 32 bit, you might do alright with the 2 gig of ram that you have but if you wanted to get more ram then a 1 or 2 GB increase (of the same speed and type of ram that you already have in your computer) couldn't hurt

For a video card, I know that the 4870 is overkill for Blu Ray video but because of your other hardware I would have a hard time recommending a card to someone that is in the $50 something price range for full HD video, (but if you had a faster cpu and ram then I could understand recommending a video card like that), if you get a card like that and considering your cpu and ram that you have if the $50 something video card still doesn't make enough of a change in your machine then you will have to take the video card back and get another one while you wait for them to reimburse you, if I was to recommend a video card that I was sure about (considering your other hardware) for Blu Ray that was still cheap then I would recommend this one

GeForce 8800 GT

Original Price: $129.99
    You Save: $10.00

$119.99

$94.99 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162028

This video card comes with a very good cooler as well, the cooler makes it a bigger card, but it is very powerful and you wouldn't need to have another video card in the mobo at the same time
    Last edited by MackDaddy; 03-27-2009 at 07:08 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast