Thread: Looking for an IRCOP

bumrocks's Avatar Poster Roaster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I have no idea what to look for. What to ask for. What "credentials" are needed. None of that shit. BUT I do know that a BitTorrent site I am a member of needs an IRCOP and I offered/needed to help.

So maybe you know someone. Are that someone. Or knowledgeable but not available. Even if you are the latter then maybe at the least you can post some useful info on what to look for in a IRCOP...

Obviously you are welcome to PM me as well...

Thanks in advance.
    Anal is the only form of birth control shown to be 100% effective. Even abstinence failed once.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Trust

they can take over your entire IRC if you are on efnet or somewhere, i know it happened to me, that was 6 years ago though, and ever since then i hate IRC lol

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Ideally you want someone who knows what they're doing, and won't abuse their power. In your case though (assuming we're thinking of the same site here), you don't just need an ircop, you need a net admin. You need someone to actually manage the IRCd, keep it updated, working, and code in new bots or functionality as needed. Such a person would need the complete trust of the site, a decent knowledge of the particular IRCd, preferably some sort of coding experience, and he should ideally be around frequently to deal with any issues. Of course you can also delegate quite a few powers to the ircops so his presence isn't as necessary, but that gives you quite a few more points of failure if one of them goes rogue.

If you're just looking for an ircop, just pick someone responsible that's not going to start throwing out g-lines like candy. Ircops don't actually have that much power by default, though that can be changed in the server configuration.
    Last edited by ca_aok; 08-11-2010 at 12:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    Global Opers can hand glines out.. local Opers can only perform /kill and see IPs of nodes connecting to the server. Can be anyone who you'd invite over to yer place. (just an analogy though.. Trust is of paramount importance while appointing an IRCOp at any level)

then, if yer lookin for a Services Admin, its the next step. Pick someone who is responsible and knows his shit about managing services. Gotta be someone who ya can leave yer kids to babysit with.
    Root Admin usually does the major work of keeping things running smoothly.. performing updates, plugging holes, adding bots. Ability to code and work in a nix environ is a must. Its gotta be someone who you'd trust with keys to yer house.

Hope it helps.
    //0.02$
    Last edited by n00bz0r; 08-11-2010 at 02:01 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    or hire a coder to build one for you...I hope you find this information useful.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    bumrocks's Avatar Poster Roaster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bz0r View Post

then, if yer lookin for a Services Admin, its the next step. Pick someone who is responsible and knows his shit about managing services. Gotta be someone who ya can leave yer kids to babysit with.
    Root Admin usually does the major work of keeping things running smoothly.. performing updates, plugging holes, adding bots. Ability to code and work in a nix environ is a must. Its gotta be someone who you'd trust with keys to yer house.
    //0.02$
    Looks like this is what is needed...
    Anal is the only form of birth control shown to be 100% effective. Even abstinence failed once.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Handled...