Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Here's an idea

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I don't get your point.
    90% of the weapons submitted for testing did come from America.

The fact that most of the confiscated firepower was not even submitted hardly diminishes our complicity.

Your resistance seems to mirror the official gun lobby meme that the problem is so overwhelming that nothing will have a meaningful effect, therefore, do nothing.
    In fact, better than even trying to enforce existing laws or- God forbid- enact new ones, let's weaken the laws already in effect, so even more people can be armed.

This attitude is mirrored in your original post where you suggest that the world's problem is not too much weaponry but rather , too little...so let's spread it around even further.
    I don't get your point.

There was an obvious attempt by the Obama administration to mislead by it's mal-appropriation of the 90% figure.

If, as you say, the 17% figure is sufficiently eye-opening, why did they do this.

Ideological compulsion, perhaps.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    You keep dancing around the issue while trying to score political points.

Ignore the use/misuse of statistics and address the fact that by any accounting, we are supplying a shitton of weapons to Mexican cartels.

Or do you have an ideological compulsion to ignore the problem whilst sniping at Obama?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33

Ignore the use/misuse of statistics and address the fact that by any accounting, we are supplying a shitton of weapons to Mexican cartels.

Or do you have an ideological compulsion to ignore the problem whilst sniping at Obama?
    Sniping at Obama?

Well, though the media reported the administration's statement(s), I'll say mentioning
    the facts is merely in aid of noting that the administration is, or certainly seems to be, the sole source propagating that particular tidbit.

Kind of you to mention my mentioning it, btw.

Please to indicate anywhere I have derided/ignored any attempt to deal decisively with any illicit distribution of arms born of what you would no doubt refer to as "typical republican greed".

Might I also point out that it is precisely the attitude of, Ignore the use/misuse of statistics... that often brings our community of elected rapscallions to a fine focus, and further point out my observation that there are no angels on either side, and that you should concede the point without my resorting this absurd (yet strangely compelling) arm-twisting.
    Last edited by j2k4; 04-11-2009 at 05:46 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Sniping at Obama?

Well, though the media reported the administration's statement(s), I'll say mentioning
    the facts is merely in aid of noting that the administration is, or certainly seems to be, the sole source propagating that particular tidbit.

Please to indicate anywhere I have derided/ignored any attempt to deal decisively with any illicit distribution of arms born of what you would no doubt refer to as "typical republican greed".

Might I also point out that it is precisely the attitude of, Ignore the use/misuse of statistics... that often brings our community of elected rapscallions to a fine focus, and further point out my observation that there are no angels on either side, and that you should concede the point without my resorting this absurd (yet strangely compelling) arm-twisting.
    So that's it, eh?

Let me summarize the conservative solution to American arms flowing across our border..."We do nothing".

"We do nothing" because it's better to try to pin the blame on the democrats.
    "We do nothing" because it's better to hide behind semantics and statistics and while doing so, maybe the problem will just go away.
    "We do nothing" because hey!, it's not ALL our fault and even if we stop- the vaguely defined and imprecisely tallied American arms- somebody else will just step in and fill our shoes, so what's the point?
    "We do nothing" because anything we do will probably infringe our precious Second Amendment rights or some how, some way inconvenience a major corporation.

But mostly we just do nothing.

Christ, no wonder you were so thoroughly repudiated at the polls this time around.
    Doing nothing is all you're good for.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Sniping at Obama?

So that's it, eh?

Let me summarize the conservative solution to American arms flowing across our border..."We do nothing".

"We do nothing" because it's better to try to pin the blame on the democrats.
    "We do nothing" because it's better to hide behind semantics and statistics and while doing so, maybe the problem will just go away.
    "We do nothing" because hey!, it's not ALL our fault and even if we stop- the vaguely defined and imprecisely tallied American arms- somebody else will just step in and fill our shoes, so what's the point?
    "We do nothing" because anything we do will probably infringe our precious Second Amendment rights or some how, some way inconvenience a major corporation.

But mostly we just do nothing.

Christ, no wonder you were so thoroughly repudiated at the polls this time around.
    Doing nothing is all you're good for.
    You may attribute any or all of these things to republicans...not conservatives.

I can afford to be magnanimous, given democrat culpability over Fannie and Freddie, et.al.

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    So what does a conservative do about this.
    Or are there yet more straw men sitting on your bench?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    So what does a conservative do about this.
    Or are there yet more straw men sitting on your bench?
    Conservatives are thin on the ground in D.C.

We'll have to do the job with hard-hitting commentary.

What sort of super-effective steps are the dems (with their majority and all) contemplating?

I mean, hey - the dems can stop the republicans, why can't they stop the gun manufacturers?
    Last edited by j2k4; 04-12-2009 at 12:15 PM.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Still dancing, Kev, still evading.

What- if anything- would you propose?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Still dancing, Kev, still evading.

What- if anything- would you propose?
    Well, I'm dancing with you, you see.

Let's see...I suppose I would track the production runs of the mfrs, and let them know if any of it shows up on the border (the limits of our purview, absent a competent and cooperative Mexican government) they will suffer some sort of horrible corporate fate.

Your turn, please.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Ban the sale/possession of military grade assault weapons.

Require extensive and mandatory background checks for all gun sales.
    This includes the loopholes for gun sales at shows.
    These background checks would be Federal instead of state controlled to eliminate the possibility of crossing state lines to take advantage of looser restrictions in neighboring states.

Mandatory- and not subject to parole reduction- extra sentencing for using a gun during the commission of a crime.

Immediate ban on armor piercing ammunition.

Monitoring and restriction of distribution (with suitable accountability) of weapons at the manufacturing level.

Reregistration- with proof of possession- of privately owned guns on a short timetable...say every two years.
    Too many "lost" guns seem to show up in the commission of crimes far removed from where they were supposed to be. Fines/penalties (up to and including incarceration) imposed on registered owner who cannot account for weapons registered to them.

Curtailment of concealed carry permits.

There, that's a start.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234