Thread: Nintendo rolls out new DSi in USA

iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Nintendo is rolling out the next generation of its popular handheld gaming console in the United States on Sunday, pitching the product as more of an all-purpose social and entertainment device. Aside from game-playing functions, the dual-screen DSi features two cameras, a microphone and a host of tools that will allow users to create content and share with others. The DSi will retail for $170 apiece and began selling in Europe on Friday. The third generation in the DS franchise, the DSi was launched in Japan last November and has so far sold 2 million units. “This thing is to the digital camera what the iPod was to the MP3 player,” said Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter. “You take the same form factor and you just add something to it and suddenly you’re going to have a lot of people carrying it.”

Nintendo’s second-generation DS handheld, the DS Lite, will continue to sell for $130. Nintendo has shipped more than 100 million DS units overall since the franchise launched in late 2004. Cammie Dunaway, executive vice president of sales and marketing for Nintendo America, said the DSi seeks to make the traditional gaming experience more personalized. “They’re going to turn a one DS household into a two DS household. You will hand it down to your little brother when you get your DSi.” Nintendo’s DS line competes directly with Sony’s PSP handheld device and increasingly faces competition from Apple’s iPhone, which is emerging as a serious video game platform, and iPod touch devices. The PSP has sold more than 50 million units, while the iPhone and iPod Touch have combined to sell more than 30 million.

Source: Nintendo rolls out DSi to U.S. on Sunday

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I'm still unsure if I want to get one. I love my Lite, and I don't see this as a huge "upgrade". But I do like that it takes an SD card and the possibilities that may come with that, and the DSiware games. And that the screens are a bit bigger. But the cameras are crap and I would have to buy all new flashcarts.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    I'm still unsure if I want to get one. I love my Lite, and I don't see this as a huge "upgrade". But I do like that it takes an SD card and the possibilities that may come with that, and the DSiware games. And that the screens are a bit bigger. But the cameras are crap and I would have to buy all new flashcarts.
    That was my view too.

I'll stick with my Lite until the prices drop a bit/supported flash cards are released.

The screen size is only 17% larger according to Gizmodo.

Maybe there will be a softmod for the DSi if it supports SD cards?

EDIT: Gizmodo has a detailed review on this handheld.
    Last edited by iLOVENZB; 04-05-2009 at 03:31 AM.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Yeah, a soft mod would be extremely nice. There's already some flashcarts out for it, but the devs of these carts are saying that Nintendo can easily block them with firmware updates. So I'm really going to have to see what comes of this before I think of buying one. If it's just going to be a constant firmware war between Nintendo and the flash cart devs(Nintendo comes out with an automatic update to block the cart, then the flashcart developers find a work around, and this repeats every week) then forget it.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    If it's just going to be a constant firmware war between Nintendo and the flash cart devs(Nintendo comes out with an automatic update to block the cart, then the flashcart developers find a work around, and this repeats every week) then forget it.
    The PSP Dev's vs Sony/iPhone Dev's vs Sony do the same it only takes a couple of days after the fw release (except for the old newer ofw without cfw on PSP.

iPhone OS 3.0 is already cracked for jailbreaking use

/back on topic
    Last edited by iLOVENZB; 04-05-2009 at 12:40 PM.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    I really want one of this but i would like a PSPi more or maybe a iPSP from Apple.