Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Trouble With..

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Biggles@26 September 2003 - 16:10
    15 to 20 years? Not much point in buying a new Volvo then - they can last well past that.

What will a Tuscan do on hydrogen? I suspect once the oil runs out we will find out that the alternatives are actually even more efficient - if less profitable for the big energy companies.  Or do I just have a suspicious mind?
    I think it's very likely that more efficient means of powering a vehicle can and will be developed.

I think it's just as likely that the big energy companies will continue to thrive (or gouge, if you wish). The consumer will certainly bear the main brunt of the cost of converting to whatever fuel (hydrogen? peanut oil? tofu?) is next in line.

For a change, I also predict that this time around it'll be Americans who take it up the ole yinyang. The new European Union, your higher population density and shorter distances, coupled with Europe's superior public/mass transportation, should keep costs somewhat more in check. Here in the States no one is going to give up their car or the right to travel 30 miles each way to work alone...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    BANNED
    It has also been estimated by some, that during the next 10-15 years, India and China could acquire more cars between them than the whole US. If you factor that in, 20 years seems optimistic.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Poster
    I drive a Dodge Ram 1500, 4x4, v8 magnum... How would a Toyota do what I need for my company? Should we implement a tax on company's that use larger, less fuel efficient vehicles for business purposes? I can't answer that question, you would have to ask my customer's, unfortunately they would swallow the cost in the long run...Rikk that question's your's, Umm 99.99%????

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    what is your business, protak?
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    BANNED
    well u know we arent gonna have a bill pass for strict emissions standards with a republican congress fucking oil whores

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    BANNED
    PROTAK.
    Rikk that question&#39;s your&#39;s, Umm 99.99%????
    Well Tim, I&#39;ve found that if you don&#39;t use lots of 9&#39;s in your figures, no-one takes them seriously.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@27 September 2003 - 08:20
    PROTAK.
    Rikk that question&#39;s your&#39;s, Umm 99.99%????
    Well Tim, I&#39;ve found that if you don&#39;t use lots of 9&#39;s in your figures, no-one takes them seriously.

LMFAO that a boy someone honest for a change....

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Protak

I read somewhere that Toyota make the most reliable pickups in the world and that they have almost completely cornered the world market in the things.

Why would you need a Dodge thingy etc., for your work - unless you are a car salesman for Dodge thingys of course. I could see driving a Toyota in that circumstance might be a bit difficult to explain to customers.

As an accountant I can assure you that 99.99% is completely unbelieveable (re: Saddam&#39;s election results). If you are going to fudge figures always go for something obscure but accurate like 82.3%. It gives senior managers a warm feeling and they can talk about improving efficiency and getting it up (or down) by 5% in the next year. Not that I would do that.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    the toyota landcruiser is a better overall vehicle than the land rover...however, they&#39;re both completely unnecessary, unless you&#39;re a farmer or live in the coutryside/desert/mountains etc...

why do people need SUV&#39;s, jeeps when they live in urban areas?
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    3GN

Agree completely. Farmers around here usually drive the no frills land rover and keep them for years as they last forever.

The SUVs with all the accoutrements and bells and whistles are just silly. No one in their right mind would try to use them for their practical application with alloys etc., If a business needs real load capacity they use the ubiquitous white van.

Frankly if a plumber turned up with a massive pickup with huge alloys and chrome gubbings etc., I would be worried I was just about to be hit by a real cowboy. Perhaps a little unfair I know, but first appearances are important.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234