Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does tracker list whether a peer is seed/leech?

When a peer contacts a tracker to get a subset of the peers in the swarm, my understanding is that the tracker basically just returns a list of IP addresses (according to http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpe...acker_Response).

Is it possible to get the tracker to also tell me whether each of those peers is a seed or leech? My understanding the seed/leech status is only learned from direct contact with another peer, but was wondering if it could also be learned from the tracker.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Not sure exactly what you mean, so i may sound like a complete noob here.

but surely the tracker already does this, because we have seeders and leechers, if your client sends a complete announce to the tracker, you move from the leechers list to the seeders list.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    RedRansom's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Tracker can see your client ip adress if that what you mean...

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    stoi and RedRansom I think you both got the question wrong...

From what i know, you are right! The result does not contain any annotation whether each peer is a seeder or a leecher, it only contains information on how to establish a connection with the peer (i.e: ip, peer id, port).

Whether it is possible or not, yes, it is possible to modify the tracker's response (That's the easy part...) but you will need to make sure that the client will know how to read the modified result. Basically it means that standard clients will (probably) not be able to send requests to your tracker and receive responses from your tracker since standard clients only support the standard BT protocol...

If you want to design your own security and validation mechanisms then it is possible but you will have to have your own client, mod or plug-in to support it on the other hand...

I hope that helps!
    Last edited by tutipute; 04-12-2009 at 01:35 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Col. Skillz's Avatar Bacco,Tabacco,Venere
    well on some sites you can see the seeds/leechers, their speed, their username, total upd, total dl'd

so im sure they can, if thats what you mean

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    i am still confused lol

The client sends a complete announce to the tracker, it also sends a stop announce to the tracker when you stop the torrent, that is why if you just close your client, or a PC crash, the tracker still sees you as seeding for ever if the tracker does not auto flush your username.

If it never had the complete announce, the tracker would just see everyone as a big list of peers.

the tracker sends you a list of peers to connect to, the client sends % done, complete or not, speed ul/dl, (or at least how much you have done since the last announce), so the tracker then works out the speed, and whether you stopped the torrent or not.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    i am still confused lol

The client sends a complete announce to the tracker, it also sends a stop announce to the tracker when you stop the torrent, that is why if you just close your client, or a PC crash, the tracker still sees you as seeding for ever if the tracker does not auto flush your username.

If it never had the complete announce, the tracker would just see everyone as a big list of peers.

the tracker sends you a list of peers to connect to, the client sends % done, complete or not, speed ul/dl, (or at least how much you have done since the last announce), so the tracker then works out the speed, and whether you stopped the torrent or not.
    This is not about what the tracker can tell about a peer (which is what you are referring to...) but about what a peer can know about other peers from the tracker's response... A peer "learns" about other peers from the tracker's response and he was wondering whether this response already includes the information (seeder/leecher) regarding other peers and whether the response can be enhanced in case it doesn't.
    Last edited by tutipute; 04-12-2009 at 01:58 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    but in his client he will have seeds and leechers, so how does it matter which way its done, its done one way or the other and he has that already.

that is what is confusing me, its done already.
    Last edited by stoi; 04-12-2009 at 02:06 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    but in his client he will have seeds and leechers, so how does it matter which way its done, its done one way or the other and he has that already.

that is what is confusing me, its done already.
    Well, i don't know what exactly he wants to do... But you definitely have a point!

There are two things i can think off the top of my head:

1. As a peer, it might give you a "head start". True that you have the information already but it is retrieved from other peers and not directly from the tracker.

2. You might want to cross check information that was reported to the tracker and information that a client can obtain as a peer. This can help you to detect ratio cheaters, in case you want to, but you will have to modify the client quite intensively...

NYTReader, do you want to help me out here?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by NYTReader View Post
    When a peer contacts a tracker to get a subset of the peers in the swarm, my understanding is that the tracker basically just returns a list of IP addresses (according to http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpe...acker_Response).

Is it possible to get the tracker to also tell me whether each of those peers is a seed or leech? My understanding the seed/leech status is only learned from direct contact with another peer, but was wondering if it could also be learned from the tracker.
    NO, you have to contact the client to know if it's a leecher or a seeder!
    (entraptment?)

what's the point with such a question? if you work for things like baytsp, mediasentry and so on I'll give you an additional hint:
    even if you knew that a certain IP was a seeder while doing the handshake you might find out it's actually a leecher... that's called SUPERSEEDING.

have fun hunting ppl

@tutipute he is OBVIOULSY making a research paper..
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-fil...75#post2949650
    yeah sure....

help him poor kid
    Last edited by yayyyyyy; 04-12-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast