Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Windows giving me the "Windows Genuine Advantage" message and freezes my PC

Now when I start up my PC the "Windows genuine advantage - Windows XP you may be a victim of software counterfeiting" message comes up. My problem is that my computer becomes completely unresponsive, I can't do anything. I start it up, that message comes up and I can't click on anything. I tried CTRL+ALT+DELETE and it just hangs on a blank screen with that message there. I try double clicking on anything, My Documents, even the "Resolve Now" button but nothing loads. I appreciate any help you guys can provide!

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry I had to go play with my daughter. I just did a quick search of the forum and I'm finding some resolutions for the Windows Genuine Advantage thing but uh... my PC freezes upon startup so I can't do that, has this happened to anyone else?
    Last edited by EvanUnisil; 04-13-2009 at 09:27 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    It's probably spyware. Check for malware in safe mode.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks Saulin, any idea what sort of Malware I should be looking for or where I can get a resolution? I've tried googling the fact that it freezes but I'm not finding much right now...

EDIT: I'm doing a scan using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware right now, any other software/sites anyone can recommend to help me remove this?
    Last edited by EvanUnisil; 04-13-2009 at 09:33 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I recommend you first run your AV in safe mode. If stuff is found. Then run Smitfraudfix in safe mode and combofix in safe mode. That should get you booting to windows and hopefully it should be good and not locking up and you could do a final virus scan in regular mode.

I have not heard of Malwarebytes so I can't comment on it. It's very easy to tell if your system is infected too by checking the processes running. You can check by looking in task manager.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    If you think you may have a virus, try running a HijackThis scan. http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro...-10227353.html

Then have the log checked here: http://www.hijackthis.de/

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Sweet, thanks both of you. Saulin mate, the two worked like a charm, the PC has now loaded up fine. What anti Virus do you use and what do you usually do to keep your computer clean? You seem to know what you're talking about and I'd like to take your advice. So I'd be interested to know what programs/software you use to protect your computer and to regularly scan your computer because obviously what I'm using ain't working. Thanks again man, I'm really glad you helped me out!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009. It's hard to find a pirated key that works for more than a few days to a week though. I bought a key off ebay for $10
    Last edited by saulin; 04-15-2009 at 12:53 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    And that's all you use? Anything else you can recommend to try and keep my computer clean? Sorry for bothering you, I just want to try and make my PC as safe as possible...
    I've got no worries spending money on something if it's worth it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    That's all I use. I use the firewall on my router and also enable the windows firewall as well. I don't have antispyware software because that kind of software slows down the system too much. I worked cleaning infected systems so I do know how to get rid of spyware and viruses and I'm careful enough so I don't get infected.

The reason I don't have Kaspersky Internet Security is because it also includes a firewall and I think more spyware protection and online protection but I don't need all that, I just need AV software and my router firewall.

If you want to feel safer maybe get Kaspersky Internet Security instead.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellar View Post
    If you think you may have a virus, try running a HijackThis scan. http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro...-10227353.html

Then have the log checked here: http://www.hijackthis.de/
    That is a great tool but not for noobies , you can do more harm than good sometimes . If you take your time and research " every hit " it will serve you well . It's very time consuming tho .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast