Thread: Firefox rated most vulnerable web browser

SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer

In a report that will surely start internet fires all over the world Secunia is reporting that Firefox is the most vulnerable web browser that is widely adopted on the market today.

"This year, Secunia published advisories for the four most widely used web browsers: Internet Explorer (IE), Safari, Opera, and Mozilla Firefox. 31 vulnerabilities were reported for Internet Explorer (IE 5.x, 6.x, and 7), including those publicly disclosed prior to vendor patch as well as those included in Microsoft Security Bulletins. Safari and Opera each had 32 and 30 vulnerabilities, whereas 115 vulnerabilities were registered for Firefox in 2008."

The vulnerabilities measures areas of a browser that requires a patch to fix a hole that could be exploited by a malicious user to take sensitive data from the end user.

It's an interesting contrast to the idea that people assumed that Firefox was the most web secure browser. According to this review Opera appears to be the safest but Microsoft and Apple's web browsers are not far behind.

Does this mean that you should switch your browser out of fear? Not so, the study does leave out the human element that the best defense is an educated user. If you are aware of what you are doing online and don't download bonzi buddy you are one step closer to a safer web experience.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...le-web-browser Download Link: Download The Secunia 2008 Report
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 04-16-2009 at 06:11 AM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    harshytkage's Avatar Tarders BEWARE! BT Rep: +2
    hehehehe....cool, some firefox users will be redfaced, as for me...chrome FTW!
    Spoiler: Show

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    ulun64's Avatar Poster
    I'm Opera user

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'll stick with FF.

I've got zero "sensitive data" on my PC. Hack your brains out.

yo

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    The vulnerabilities measures areas of a browser that requires a patch to fix a hole that could be exploited by a malicious user to take sensitive data from the end user.
    just great, know I'm going to have to switch browser's, hmm right

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Firefox is still the best all-around browser for my needs. I'm sticking with it.
    Not sure what that file's gonna do? Check it with ANUBIS - Analyzing Unknown Binaries
    Is that site DOWN FOR EVERYONE OR JUST ME?

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Your browser is merely a tool.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    I do not believe that report.
    Firefox tends to fix holes much quicker than IE and that is what matters.

Why don't they give some young hacker $1,000 for evry hole they find and then fix them all then we will have no more security problems !
    What color is your Adkaf ?