Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bargain?

i'm kind of looking for a mid-range video card (for hl2 and doom3)
    i'm considering anything up to approx £150
    and then i found this card.
    it's a geforce fx5600 ultra for less than £100

i don't know if there is something wrong with that picture...?
    it seems to good to be true

anyway, is this card good enough to play up coming games (hl2 and doom3 mainly) along with the rest of my system (athlon 2700, 512mb ram etc)...?

thanks in advance for any advice/help
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    forget it, it&#39;s not the full featured card
    no video in and the ramdac is only 270MHz

:&#39;(

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Geforce FX5600 256MB DDR AGP RP DVI VO £115

http://www.dabs.com/value/value.asp?s=374

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    you should look for 9600pro cards, they&#39;re around £120 lookit

and based on the DX9 benchmarks, that are starting to arrive, Nvidia&#39;s performance is shocking

also your system is one step short of being a monster
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Livy@22 September 2003 - 14:12
    Geforce FX5600 256MB DDR AGP RP DVI VO £115

http://www.dabs.com/value/value.asp?s=374
    it&#39;s not the ultra though, and it doesn&#39;t have video in either

thanks anyway though, this one looks good:

Geforce FX5600 Ultra 128MB DDR AGP RP ViVo DVI VO
    Mfr code: I-5600U-F3F3S
    Quicklinx: 2HZLWS

£139

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@22 September 2003 - 14:13
    you should look for 9600pro cards, they&#39;re around £120 lookit

and based on the DX9 benchmarks, that are starting to arrive, Nvidia&#39;s performance is shocking

also your system is one step short of being a monster
    yeah, i wasn&#39;t sure whether to get radeon or nvidia...that card does look pretty tempting though
    i&#39;d need to oc the 9600 though to get really good performance, but that shouldn&#39;t be a problem...

p.s. thanks for the compliment on my spec...i&#39;m gonna get another 512meg of ram at christmas too...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    ok, just bought that card you linked to Darth...

i think i&#39;ve been to that page before, i can vaguely remember reading some of the reviews there...

anyway, hopefully this video card will live up to my expectations, it can&#39;t be any worse than a GeForce 3Ti 200 64MB anyway...

thanks for advice anyway, Darth and Livy

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    here is a review of that (similar card, same GPU) card...apparently is does very well...
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid.../fic-r96p.html

plus, Rage3d tweak is gnarly&#33; It is an excellent Radeon tweaker, with a built in overclocker...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    yeah, it does look pretty good...
    i just hope it lives up to my standards...

thanks for the link

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    TYAN Tachyon G9600 PRO Graphics Card Review

So, we have just tested a Tyan Tachyon G9600 PRO graphics card based on the ATI RADEON 9600 PRO chip. The product left a good overall impression, although does have certain drawbacks.

First of all, I don’t quite understand why the manufacturer used 3.6ns memory chips. Moreover, it’s already overclocked by the manufacturer as its nominal frequency is 275MHz (550MHz DDR). This doesn’t look like Tyan, a company known for its super-reliable server products. Usually, graphics cards of the RADEON 9600 PRO class are equipped with 2.8-3.3ns memory. The Tyan Tachyon G9600 PRO card seems to be targeted at enthusiastic users and overclockers, but doesn’t suit exactly for this type of buyers. All others should be glad to have a reliable monitoring and cooler control systems. Moreover, the version with two DVI-I outputs may be of interest to those people who edit graphics on two LCD displays. By the way, such a card would be a unique product, as it would be the first non-professional RADEON 9600 PRO based card to feature two digital connectors.

As for manufacture quality, it’s very high, as by any product from Tyan. The performance level of the card is quite high, too, although doesn’t reach Tyan Tachyon G9500 PRO, because the latter boasts 8 pipelines against only 4 pipelines by the newcomer. Of course, the higher frequency of 9600 PRO makes up for this to some extent, but still is not enough.

The recommended price of Tachyon G9600 PRO is &#036;195, and the card is already in stores. So, if you want to buy a relatively inexpensive DirectX 9.0-compatible card with a diagnostics system, Tyan Tachyon G9600 PRO may suit you. And if you want to have a solution with two DVI-I outputs, you’d better take it from Tyan and no one else. In any other case, you may want to look for a card with faster memory chips.

Highs:

Diagnostic system;
    Fan rotation control system;
    Overclocking options;
    High production quality;
    Low noise.
    Lows:

Insufficient contact between the memory chips and the heatsink;
    Slow memory, already overclocked by the manufacturer;
    Few accessories.

Yes, a rather lengthy post...I am trying to sum the lot of it up for you...looks like you made a nice buy. B)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast