Thread: PassThePopcorn - trouble re-registering after database loss

DarkLured's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    EDIT: Problem solved, see my post below.

I lost my account in the "massive loss of data" the site suffered this past week. The homepage says "Registrations have been opened to allow those who were in our site to rejoin," but they don't say how or where to re-register. The "register.php" page says "Sorry, the site is currently invite only." I looked around some more but couldn't figure it out.

Does anyone know how/where to re-register? Or if not, can someone give me PtP's IRC info so I can ask them directly? Thanks!
    Last edited by DarkLured; 04-18-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: problem solved

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    just do forget password your account is still there just passwords have been reset. and ppl need to stop looking at this as some sort of failure ptp is one of the best movie sites ever. imo ptn, ** dont even compare with tc and ptp

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    RedRansom's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Spoiler: Show

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    DarkLured's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by pikapo0 View Post
    just do forget password your account is still there just passwords have been reset.
    I did try to recover my password, but when I entered the email address I registered with it said there is no user with that email address. PtP has acknowledged that people actually lost their accounts (as opposed to just needing to reset passwords), which I think is why the homepage says "Registrations have been opened to allow those who were in our site to rejoin."

Quote Originally Posted by pikapo0 View Post
    and ppl need to stop looking at this as some sort of failure ptp is one of the best movie sites ever.
    I like PtP a lot too. While the "data loss" is not a failure in itself (data losses happen), they should have backed up their data on a daily basis at least like most other well-run trackers (their backup was almost three weeks old). Not a terrible failure, but really annoying (especially for those who had uploaded a lot in the past couple weeks) and raises legitimate concerns (if they're not backing up, what else aren't they doing?).

UPDATE: I went on their IRC channel (thanks RedRansom), which directed me to the #disabled channel where a very helpful staff member answered my questions and gave me a new account.

I also told the staff member that the instructions (or lack thereof) on their homepage were unclear and confusing. I suggested that they change the message on their homepage that says registrations have been reopened (registrations are in fact closed) and include a link to their IRC channel for people whose accounts were lost.
    Last edited by DarkLured; 04-18-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I lost my account too. Is it possible for someone tell me the server and channel for the IRC? I need to get my passthepopcorn account back.
    Thanks in advance.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    did you read the posts above ?
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    good news. I will try it because I had lost my account too.