Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Usenet vs. Torrents ( security)

Hey guys!

Ive a question about how safe usenet is. Im new to this world

lately in some nordic countries they have now the law called ipred, that means the goverment have the rights to see what you are doing and downloading etc. ive been torrent user for many years, but thinking of going to usenet instead.

my question is, how safe is it (in percent) to connect to an usenet server with SSL protection compared to downloading torrents with a vpn connection?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Safest form of downloading you can do, you ISP might even offer NG's access with your I-Net account.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 04-07-2009 at 06:26 PM.
    [center]

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    What was the safes form? Usenet?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Yes
    [center]

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    pffm's Avatar -M- BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Yes, definitly usenet is more "secure" than torrents...

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    In order to obtain your identity, the copyright holder must discover identifying information, such as your IP address or maybe your username, which links you to an infringing file. Then they have to request your identity from the service provider, whether it is your ISP, the VPN or newsgroup provider. The security in newsgroups comes mainly from the fact that they have no way of finding your IP if you're just downloading. They may be able to track your uploads with your username (why most posters switch it up or use generic names) and that alone probably wouldn't be enough to identify who your newsgroup provider is or your IP, which could identify you.

Torrenting from home or seedbox obviously allows your IP address to be shown to every other peer, which means it is unsafe on public trackers and more secure in private trackers, but that's all relative. With the VPN service, they could find the IP and then request your info from the VPN provider, which may or may not give you up, I'm not sure.

I don't think one can estimate or quantify the relative security of these filesharing methods, but just consider how it is possible to prevent the antipiracy folks from getting any information connecting you to filesharing in the first place. Just leeching off usenet is probably the best way to do that.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jaqques View Post
    Hey guys!

Ive a question about how safe usenet is. Im new to this world

lately in some nordic countries they have now the law called ipred, that means the goverment have the rights to see what you are doing and downloading etc. ive been torrent user for many years, but thinking of going to usenet instead.

my question is, how safe is it (in percent) to connect to an usenet server with SSL protection compared to downloading torrents with a vpn connection?
    Also new, also wondering the same thing.

But i have found torrents to be so much better. Organised, easy to use, exact same speeds, just not as safe but thats the only downside oh and the little thing known as uploading/seeding back. But its worth it.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Usenet vs Torrents

SSL vs Public IP

Usenet WINS!!!

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    222MHz's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by masscrazy View Post
    But i have found torrents to be so much better. Organised, easy to use, exact same speeds, just not as safe but thats the only downside oh and the little thing known as uploading/seeding back. But its worth it.
    You must have a very slow connection.. And when you sit in a torrent swarm you might as well have a name tag on that says "Hello, My name is Bob"

The only thing I torrent is basically what it was initially designed for... Easing loads for servers.. In my case OpenSource.. I seed a couple of distros 24/7 for forever now.. How about those ratios.. I upped Debian Stable at 25Kb/s for 2 years..
    Last edited by 222MHz; 04-08-2009 at 02:14 AM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    You can use http://ipredator.se/, either way (Torrent or Usenet) you'll be paying to stay safe...

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-a...ervice-090323/
    [center]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast