Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewalls

I was wondering for a moment, since there are no firewall that is 100% loop less, is it wise to have 2 firewall installed in a PC, and since if one intrustion is passed through the '1st' firewall it surly cant pass through the '2nd'?

just a thought, what do you guys think about it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    In theory, only if both of the firewalls were configured with different rules, but otherwise two will be the same as one.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Use a router with a built in hardware firewall and use a software firewall too.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Amarjit@22 September 2003 - 17:59
    In theory, only if both of the firewalls were configured with different rules, but otherwise two will be the same as one.
    but dont you have a funny feeling sometimes that if we were to use norton, they might be working with the relevent authorities providing them with information where they left the loop hole open so that for example riaa or whatever could use it to 'scan' our PC?

so, does having 2 really worth it now?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Yes and general motors is working with car thieves on an international level, telling them where to find the spare set of keys they attched to the vehicle at the time of manufacture. It just makes good business sense I think

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    PAiNKiLLER
    Yaa its very true...

Image Resized

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    hmm.
    I guess if your the pessimist/paranoid type of person who wears suspenders AND a belt, multiple firewalls on your
    home PC might be useful. Otherwise, you just look like a moron.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Mr. Blunt's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@22 September 2003 - 11:01
    Use a router with a built in hardware firewall and use a software firewall too.

That's probably the best thing to do, to have a hardware firewall and a software one. Two software firewalls arn't going to work better than just one. It'll probably just confilct with one another.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    well way back when in my .......... days i used to run 2 to 3 firewalls on my comp (166 running at 200) lol never had any probs with them conflicting also i was amazed at how many times one would report the other trying to get onto the net when it shouldnt have ...just for the record i only run one now mainly to stop hacked/cracked progs reporting home

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    you said to stopped hacked programs from reporting home...I am guessing there is a way to trace stuff can someone please explain. I have zonealarm and it trys to access the net should i not let it. Sorry i am a lot less then a novice at this so any help would be great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast