Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: why not switch to usenet?

If you have a slow upload then Usenet is still the best medium for downloading and very possibly the best method regardless. There are many reasonably priced Usenet providers out there such as Astraweb who offer unlimited or pay as you go plans. Using Newzbin (by far the best) with an app like Newsleecher is just like using a torrent site once you have download credit.

With the amount of time spent uploading to maintain a decent ratio and the electricity costs involved it can often work out cheaper to use Usenet, sometimes it's a false economy to use trackers, it's a much safer method, with almost guaranteed top download speeds and no tying the connection up for uploading.
    Last edited by tywyn; 04-23-2009 at 03:12 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    OP is probably right but i doubt usenet could replace a tracker like Karagarga.
    ok, i know usenet is full of classics and 'old films' but i don't think you can find as much rarities (experimental, independant productions, rare vhsrips) as on KG.

anyway, it's certainly the best alternative.
    Check it out, I don't know what karagarga is, but they've got it in a.b.karagarga.

https://www.binsearch.info/browse.ph...all=1&server=2
    Last edited by mikeHD; 04-23-2009 at 02:50 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    well, karagarga (KG) is more than a simple tracker, it's also a community of cinephiles focused on non-mainstream films: independent flicks, arthouse, experimental, documentaries, shorts films etc...
    even if usenet has many rarities, i doubt it will eve reach the ~60.000 torrents collected by karagarga in 3 years.

that said, i'm pretty sure usenet can be suitable for most torrent users.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeHD View Post
    In this thread, ...
    In this post, I will tell you the first rule of usenet:
    You do not talk about usenet.

Do you want heat on usenet or torrents?
    Last edited by piratebot; 04-23-2009 at 03:53 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Wow someone finally posted about not talking about usenet. That took longer than I expected.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    manu1991's Avatar Ancient Philospher BT Rep: +3
    Maybe its just me but edonkey works as well for me as usenet and i dont have to pay for it . for rest of the stuff bittorrent is great

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    lostdemon's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I would try it but I don't know how to use it and don't want to waste any money if i can't figure it out. Maybe if I find a tutorial somewhere

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    You can get a free trial deal on Giganews or another provider. It's actually very easy to use, and I'm sure there are many tutorials in this forum.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I probably should not say this as i am a tracker owner lol

but i have been using usenet for the best part of 5 years, the only tracker i am actually on is mine, and if i had found usenet 6 months sooner, i would not have even started BCG.

so i think that says it all, from my POV.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Ever since I tried Usenet I've been pretty hooked on it. I can see how a lot of people can be put off on it though. If they don't understand retention, then they can try to grab something that is out of that retention and the files not work for them. Which I think may have happened in bikenters case. I think if he tries a reputable provider instead of Usenext then he would have a different outlook.

But then as cinephillia mentioned, there are some dedicated trackers that I think are better than Usenet. For him it's KG(and all those rare, older movies). For me it's the lossless trackers. But for games, most movies, tv, I definitely think Usenet is the better way to go.
    Last edited by Funkin'; 04-23-2009 at 06:09 AM.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast