Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building A Laptop

hello hardware pros

i am thinking of building a laptop for graphics designing and internet browsing, is there a link to show all the parts needed and the assembly. - would it be best to get all the parts and have a shop install the whole thing for a fee.

i am not sure of everything and these are all i know so far
    - p4 processor - intel chip
    - 80 gig hd (or close to that)
    - dvd burner if available + cd rom
    - nvidia

your help is greatly appreciated
    lanni

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Building your own laptop isn't really an option, they all come prebuilt afaik. Maybe you should just look around for a prebuilt one with the sort of specs you want.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    That's not true. There are laptops that you can build. I don't know enough about them to make any recommendations at this point. I'm trying to learn more about it myself right now.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8...le+Search&meta=

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    PAiNKiLLER
    Those are not everything. There are a lot more...

Image Resized

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Building a laptop is something you might want to reconsider doing...just because it is quite a tedious venture...not to mention very expensive to obtain the correct parts...

I am not saying that building a laptop is impossible; I am just saying that it would be much more difficult than building a desktop.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I understand it will be a difficult task, but it is the challenge to make the best laptop I can, which is the challenge. The question is though - r there books, tutorials, any links that is readily available at my disposal or does someone know of the required parts to do this.

lanni

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    try dell, they giv eu the option to customize, which will prob be best option. or maybe alienware. either if u have the cash.
    and they will probably look alot better, if i were u check out the alienware laptops if u have the cahs.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by lanni@23 September 2003 - 16:22
    I understand it will be a difficult task, but it is the challenge to make the best laptop I can, which is the challenge.  The question is though - r there books, tutorials, any links that is readily available at my disposal or does someone know of the required parts to do this.

lanni
    Lanni, that is my primary point; that there really is no (or very little) support for such a venture.

You would probably be better off with a Dell or something because in the high likelyhood that something fails in your laptop, at least you can get a decent service plan to repair it.

Three Days Only: $75 off the online purchase of a new Dell Home Inspiron notebook computer priced $999 or more (before tax and shipping)
    coupon code: A2B424ACB1AD

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Hey, talk about trying to discourrage the guy. He says he's up for the challenge. Let him try.

You see, if you buy a laptop prebuilt you have to pay for all the operating system and software they provide with it. And the Windows CD is not really a proper one. It's one of those recovery type CDs. What if you only want to run Linux or something. Anyway, if you build your own you can set it up exactly the way you want it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast