Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TTi - legal music only now

AkaiDoresu's Avatar MilfHunter BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Haha

All of us in Staff just came back from a 1 hour long meeting regarding the future of TTi. The meeting is now over and we have finally come to a conclusion.

From now on, TTi will only concentrate on bands/artists that want to spread their material on the Internet and waiting for a record contract. As you might have noticed, we have had our own music releases with bands that want to be spread around the Internet, hoping for a record label to spot them for quite some time. Because of all the turbulence and insecurity about whether it's okay to run a tracker or not, we have now decided to go full out on bands that want to be discovered through the Internet.

The forum will stay as normal. We know how much you like our forum, and we will do everything we can to keep up the awesome spirit that we have today. We will however make some small changes, all for the greater good.

More things will come up, but more info about that will come up later on.

We of course realize that many of you are disappointed about this suggestion, but we have decided that this is the best for the future of TTi, because closing down the site completely is something that will never happen. We hope that you will still hang around the site and help us out keeping the site as good as we have always been!

Best regards,
    TTi Staff

God, what a stupid mentality. Yes, be afraid. Sweden has officially failed now. RIP. Death, horror, and destruction, this is all what threatens Swedish torrent community. Or perhaps lack of knowledge and fear against complete morons.

Yes people be afraid because a tracker that did not care about privacy and secrecy failed. We're all going to jail!!! Mamma, make me my last sandwich before I go. No words for this mentality, people with this kind of agenda should not be responsible for any of trackers.
    Have a nice day.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    This ruling doesn't mean squat. If it holds up, anyone running any kind of site, that offers access to copyright'd material indirectly without hosting it, and also makes a profit, would be considered illegal.
    Google anyone?
    Yea, didn't think that one through did they?
    Just another bad ruling that will be overturned in time. This will not stick.
    Last edited by Tokeman; 04-22-2009 at 08:15 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    AkaiDoresu's Avatar MilfHunter BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    This ruling doesn't mean squat. If it holds up, anyone running any kind of site, that offers access to copyright'd material indirectly without hosting it, and also makes a profit, would be considered illegal.
    Google anyone?
    Yea, didn't think that one through did they?
    Just another bad ruling that will be overturned in time. This will not stick.
    Very qustionable if the website offers access to copyrighted materials.
    I can say that google does the same to certain extent. It helps to you search things and connect with certain users. That's all. Many people have problems understanding that ;p
    Have a nice day.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    And thats all TPB does too, you know, they do have a LOT of legal stuff there as well, making copyrighted material a secondary side effect. Its not like I'm comparing apples to oranges here.

A torrent site is just a mini search engine, searching a small database. Some things are illegal, some things are not. No different from google.

This has already been ruled on in other countries, indexing is NOT illegal, and this ruling will not stand the test of time.

If it did, say goodbye to newsgroups as well, yea, right...
    Last edited by Tokeman; 04-22-2009 at 09:02 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Don't be ridiculous.

Copyrighted material on TPB is not secondary in any sense. Google is entirely different since it is just a search engine that links to most actual copyright holders and other noncopyrighted sites along with the smaller group of potentially illegal links that get caught up like dolphins in a tuna net.

This ruling will stand and similar rulings will be expanded in many countries. It is only a matter of time.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    pffm's Avatar -M- BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Nice mikeHD, seems u got all figured out...

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I'm not being ridiculous. TPB is user generated content. That was its primary function, to let users share files they own with others. Yes it can be abused, as any other system. Like I said, newsgroups are no different, are they going to become illegal too? Its just indexing, nothing more, and USERS are responsible for what they upload, just like newsgroups.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    You're right up to a point. The difference is that a) torrent sites do a lot more to moderate content in general than usenet companies do, so they are more likely to be held liable for user generated content, b) usenet has a long head start at avoiding such liability and c) usenet's huge size and variety of postings mean copyrighted content makes up a smaller chunk (I think the largest post groups are text based even though the highest traffic are binaries).

That said, I'd bet usenet is next of course, but I'd rather that nobody could see my IP and there is a multimillion dollar company fighting the court case than some dork who jumps on twitter or whatever with a sideways baseball cap.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    TPB only moderated on very few occasions, removing indexes, so that doesn't really hold up here. They removed an index that could have been used to compromise their own site. AFAIK they don't remove anything else they are asked to. They claim to be uncensored.
    Last edited by Tokeman; 04-22-2009 at 09:22 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    I meant a broader idea of moderation, even simple things like those little icons on trusted uploaders and actually tracker seeds and leeches could be enough because it offers the framework. I haven't really used the site in years so I'm a bit rusty on what's going on there.

But I think we also need to remember that the judge and parties are aware that TPB is a test case and that many highly regulated and exclusively infringing private sites exist and are up next. This case is clearly meant to have a deterrent effect.

Edit: Compare TPB's legal page and Giganews

Nice graphs for the law firms who don't get the hint above:

(we used to have a nice graph here, but it's simpler to just say: 0 torrents has been removed, and 0 torrents will ever be removed.)

What will Giganews do with a proper Notice?

Once we have proper identification of the infringing material through the Message-IDs, and a well formed DMCA Notice, we will remove all identified infringing material forthwith. In the process of removing the material, we will analyze each article to determine if it was posted by a Giganews customer, and if it was so posted we will initiate our "Two Strikes and You're Out Policy" for that customer. Lastly, we will respond via email to your Notice informing you that we have deleted the materials you have identified.

What is Giganews' "Two Strikes and You're Out Policy"?

The DMCA requires that we maintain "a policy that provides for the termination in appropriate circumstances of subscribers and account holders of [our] system or network who are repeat infringers". Since the DMCA does not provide a definition for "repeat", Giganews has defined "repeat infringers" to be the minimum definition possible -- two incidents.

Upon receiving a valid DMCA Notice for infringing materials posted by a Giganews subscriber, we will email a copy of our "One-time Notice of Copyright Infringement" to that subscriber, and temporarily suspend the posting privileges of that subscriber. Posting privileges are not restored to a subscriber until we receive clear affirmation that future infringements will not occur. When a second DMCA Notice is received for an infringing article posted after the clear affirmation is received, we will, at the sole discretion of Giganews, terminate the account or place a ban on posting from the account.
    Last edited by mikeHD; 04-22-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast