Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepared to have a look?

Sorry! This is a stupid post and was sent in the heat of the moment. That moment was 20+ hours of frustration in the making.

Greetings,

I am having trouble finding any "complete" and "current" instructions on setting up rtorrent on a CentOS box. I must have reinstalled the OS and configured the box at least 20 times.

Is there an experienced user who is prepared to have a look at my setup and make suggestions or even corrections to get it running?

The most recent error I am encountering is "~/.rtorrent.rc:4: Invalid start of name.".

Stumped and confused.

Thanks.
    Last edited by driveshaft; 04-30-2009 at 06:56 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    If itīs a dedicated server is more easy install desktop access and utorrent?

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    If itīs a dedicated server is more easy install desktop access and utorrent?
    It is a dedicated server but I detest ĩTorrent!

I am just very frustrated as I can not find a guide with current info.

Any pointers to a current guide (it doesn't matter what flavour of *nix)?

Once basic rtorrent is configured I would like to add rssdlder and am not to enthusiastic about that now.

I would quite happily write my own guide but I do not have the time to iron out all the wrong/outdated info in the guides I have used so far.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    why not install debian?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by OmarH View Post
    why not install debian?

Debian is one of the flavours of *nix that I have tried but once again no up to date info.

It appears that repositories change so frequently that it does not take long for instructions to become obsolete.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster
    I can help you. Do you use an instant messenger or IRC?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by driveshaft View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OmarH View Post
    why not install debian?

Debian is one of the flavours of *nix that I have tried but once again no up to date info.

It appears that repositories change so frequently that it does not take long for instructions to become obsolete.
    try ubuntu, it is defo the faster paced update that debian lacks. also ubuntu has a huge userbase which have written many guides/tutorials for this kind of stuff.
    i was like you. must have reinstalled my OS on a dedi like 10 times before i finally managed to google my way through all the problems, now all there is to do is to get my support tickets answered about server hardware :p but thats another story!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Thank you all for your assistance.

I have managed to get rtorrent working in Debian.

I am now having issues with flexget. I believe that it is installed correctly and the configure.yml is good. However I must be missing some dependency or other as I can not get it to start or --check or --test.

Fibre, thanks for your offer. I will keep an eye out for you coming online here. Instant messaging I prefer Gmail or Skype.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster
    Try rssdler: http://code.google.com/p/rssdler/

Install
    apt-get -y install python-feedparser python-mechanize bittorrent
    mkdir ~/.rssder
    wget http://rssdler.googlecode.com/files/...-0.4.0a.tar.gz -O ~/rssdler-0.4.0a.tar.gz
    tar xvzf ~/rssdler-0.4.0a.tar.gz && cd ~/rssdler040
    python setup.py install
    nano config.txt

Config contents

[global]
    downloadDir = /home/nibal/torrents
    workingDir = /home/nibal/.rssdler
    log = 3
    logFile = downloads.log
    verbose = 3
    scanMins = 1
    sleepTime = 2
    runOnce = False
    urllib = False

[site1]
    link = http://www.your-site.org/rss.php
    minSize = 10
    maxSize = 99999
    regExTrue = (dvdr)
    regExFalse = (720p)

Start/stop using screen

start: screen -dmS rssdler rssdler -rc ~/.rssdler/config.txt
    stop: screen -dr rssdler -X quit

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Thanks again for the individual assistance offered and the info contained here.

I have managed to get rtorrent running and using flexget to query and download torrents to my rtorrent watch directory on Debian.

The only stupid thing that I have done is to install all this stuff into the ROOT user account. I now know that this is not the correct way of doing things as it may pose a number of security risks as my wife may inadvertantly wreck the whole server if she is playing with it.

Is it possible for me to create 2 new users (me,wife) and drag and drop the installed packages into these new accounts? Or do I have to start from a clean slate? Or is there a better way of achieving my desired outcome?

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast