Thread: Suing People...

Poster
    Hugh Prestwood, number-one Country Music hit songwriter:
    Dear File-sharers,

What is becoming increasingly clear is that the great majority of you truly feel no guilt about the "sharing" of what I have created and own -- my music. You have lumped together many professions - artists, songwriters, engineers, producers, publishers, etc. into one big ugly corporate caricature -- a rich and corrupt industry that can be stolen from remorselessly. Additionally, in your "yes, Virginia, there is a free lunch" mentality, you have unthinkingly devalued songs to the extent that you perceive them as trifles - something of little value to be partaken and enjoyed at no cost. Moreover, you have unfairly condemned me and my record industry peers for bringing the law to bear against you. In classic "blame the victim" reasoning, you lay the responsibility for my losses at my feet, saying, in essence, that the problem is not your theft, but rather my inability to prevent it.

Well, file-sharers, I righteously say "bull." I, songwriter/publisher, labored for years to create those songs, and I really do legally own them. I - not you -- have the right to control what happens to them, a right your technology does not trump. You are dead wrong to simply give my songs away and undermine my only chance to profit from my creations. Don't tell me that I should gracefully pardon your hand in my pocket. Don't insinuate to me that, because your thievery is so facile, perhaps I should find some other way to make a living. Your "hobby" is taking the bread off my table, and I have every right to use any and all legal means possible to discourage your destructive practices.

Let us come together. You often love what I create, and I need to make a living. I have been trying for several years now to find a way for us both to be happy - where you can easily acquire my songs and I can be justly rewarded for my creativity. Try as I might, however, thus far I have been unable to find a way to compete with "free". You must help me.

First, you must wake up from your fantasy that songs should rightly be free, and that no one is being hurt by your theft. I and all my fellow songwriters (among others) are seeing our futures seriously threatened. Second, you must "raise your consciousness" to where you understand that a career in music is brutally serendipitous and difficult to maintain. The ability of artists and songwriters to have any kind of dependable, longer-term, income is entirely linked to their ability to control their copyrights. Without copyright protection, aspiring artists and songwriters had best not ever consider quitting their day jobs.

Finally, you must realize that in real life you really do get what you pay for. If you won't pay for music, you will soon be receiving a product commensurate with your thriftiness. A society that doesn't value a commodity enough to pay for it will soon see the creation and production of that commodity cease.

--Hugh Prestwood
    Oh well now I'm a changed man... Never to download/share again... Not.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    That's the additude never stop "got to keep on pushing"

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    maybe i should e-mail him and let him know that mcdonaold's is hiring.... sounds kind of desprate.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    The above post, analysed by me... It may appear to be rude...

a rich and corrupt industry that can be stolen from remorselessly
    Yes it is... they make billions...

devalued songs to the extent that you perceive them as trifles - something of little value to be partaken and enjoyed at no cost.
    Write a decent song, I'll download it... If I like the song, then I'll almost certainly go and get the entire album, mainly cause it's less effort...

I, songwriter/publisher, labored for years to create those songs
    F***ing hell!!! Years? Get a real job! (that came across as rude to all songwriters/musicians, I apologise, but I didnt like the tone of his writing - or his songs)

First, you must wake up from your fantasy that songs should rightly be free, and that no one is being hurt by your theft.
    I can honestly say I havent seen anyone with a broken arm or any other injury sustained from filesharing...

The ability of artists and songwriters to have any kind of dependable, longer-term, income is entirely linked to their ability to control their copyrights.
    Well, no it isnt... I think it's more linked to thier ability to actually write decent songs that people like and to change with the times...

Finally, you must realize that in real life you really do get what you pay for. If you won't pay for music, you will soon be receiving a product commensurate with your thriftiness. A society that doesn't value a commodity enough to pay for it will soon see the creation and production of that commodity cease.
    Or we'll live in a society like Star Trek, where money doesnt exist (on earth), therefore everything is pretty much free and everyone always seems so very happy...

--Hugh Prestwood
    Twat...