Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: which tracker could be recommended as best for classical music then?

patiesmiz's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Demonoid has a nice community dedicated to classical music

Lossless:

What.cd: 5.487 torrents tagged as 'classical'

Demonoid: 5.164

Waffles: 1.392

Pedro's: 1.471

All fomats:

What: 7.837 torrents tagged as 'classical'

Demonoid: 7.076 torrents

Waffles: 3.240 torrents

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by AkaiDoresu View Post
    I'm not considering amount of torrents while making this judgment but rather I consider the ratio between quality (which in terms of classical music is crucial) and amount - and if we allow this kind of judgment Pedro's is #1. You obviously don't listen too much to classical music. If you ripped more than 5 classical CD's you would notice something that is known as the "peak level" (which is more or less loudness) -it's very low in classical music comparing to other modern pieces. Therefore listening to this kind of tracks at low quality other than FLAC is really "hardcore". Listen to FLAC for 1-2 years and go back to 192+ and you will know what I'm talking about. And despite all the things people tend to say about hi-tech equipement, these differences are noticable using the crappiest headphones for 5$ - especially if we are talking about classical. (or any type of music that uses harmonic/melodic sounds created by keyboard/string instruments). In other words, you happen to make slight mistake by saying that I am lacking the knowledge in this topic.

So if you tend to care about quality of music, go with Pedro's and it will be the best choice you will ever made. Trust me you will find there everything you need.
    i didn't compare flac with mp3@192 and i didn't say there wasn't any difference between flac and mp3 (most of the torrents i use to download are flac) but let me tell you once again that the major part of the people won't feel the difference between a well-encoded mp3@320 CBR and a flac unless they have a good audio equipment.
    it would be useless to come into technical details since it's a matter of 'ear' but i'd suggest you to do a test on your own with 'crappy headphones'; trust me you'll be surprised by the results.
    personally, i dl flac cause my equipment allow me to exploit all the fullness and subtleties of flac which is not the case of many flac fans. i don't mean to show-off, i'm just saying that this 'flacmania' is more a trend than anything else for most of the torrentusers...

unfortunately, you think you're a purist for the only reason you're (supposedly) aware of all this technical bullshit... i'm actually surprised you didn't say anything regarding my first point concerning arguable btmusic's variety of classical torrents.
    "So if you tend to care about quality of music, go with Pedro's and it will be the best choice you will ever made" unlike you, i'm rather obsessed by the quality of the interpretation and the performers/conductors skills than a useless .log if you know what i mean.
    you can't even imagine how many (rare/old/import) discs/collections i own so i don't think you're in the position to say that i don't listen too much of classical music.
    sad to see that people like you are focused on technical issues rather than the version, the record label, the performer(s), the conductor...

to summarize, i'd say you tend to confuse the melomaniac with the audiophile... first one is a music amateur, second one is a wanker.
    Last edited by cinephilia; 05-06-2009 at 04:08 AM.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    AkaiDoresu's Avatar MilfHunter BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AkaiDoresu View Post
    I'm not considering amount of torrents while making this judgment but rather I consider the ratio between quality (which in terms of classical music is crucial) and amount - and if we allow this kind of judgment Pedro's is #1. You obviously don't listen too much to classical music. If you ripped more than 5 classical CD's you would notice something that is known as the "peak level" (which is more or less loudness) -it's very low in classical music comparing to other modern pieces. Therefore listening to this kind of tracks at low quality other than FLAC is really "hardcore". Listen to FLAC for 1-2 years and go back to 192+ and you will know what I'm talking about. And despite all the things people tend to say about hi-tech equipement, these differences are noticable using the crappiest headphones for 5$ - especially if we are talking about classical. (or any type of music that uses harmonic/melodic sounds created by keyboard/string instruments). In other words, you happen to make slight mistake by saying that I am lacking the knowledge in this topic.

So if you tend to care about quality of music, go with Pedro's and it will be the best choice you will ever made. Trust me you will find there everything you need.
    i didn't compare flac with mp3@192 and i didn't say there wasn't any difference between flac and mp3 (most of the torrents i use to download are flac) but let me tell you once again that the major part of the people won't feel the difference between a well-encoded mp3@320 CBR and a flac unless they have a good audio equipment.
    it would be useless to come into technical details since it's a matter of 'ear' but i'd suggest you to do a test on your own with 'crappy headphones'; trust me you'll be surprised by the results.
    personally, i dl flac cause my equipment allow me to exploit all the fullness and subtleties of flac which is not the case of many flac fans. i don't mean to show-off, i'm just saying that this 'flacmania' is more a trend than anything else for most of the torrentusers...

unfortunately, you think you're a purist for the only reason you're (supposedly) aware of all this technical bullshit... i'm actually surprised you didn't say anything regarding my first point concerning arguable btmusic's variety of classical torrents.
    "So if you tend to care about quality of music, go with Pedro's and it will be the best choice you will ever made" unlike you, i'm rather obsessed by the quality of the interpretation and the performers/conductors skills than a useless .log if you know what i mean.
    you can't even imagine how many (rare/old/import) discs/collections i own so i don't think you're in the position to say that i don't listen too much of classical music.
    sad to see that people like you are focused on technical issues rather than the version, the record label, the performer(s), the conductor...

to summarize, i'd say you tend to confuse the melomaniac with the audiophile... first one is a music amateur, second one is a wanker.
    Well, it's not just log. Try for example to listen to SHM Japanese remastered pieces or vinyl rips. Trust me there is a huge difference that is noticeable in default iPod earphones.

You might need some really sophisticated equipment while listening in home from your Hi-Fi but if it comes to earphones, the concentration of the sound is way higher and there is no or minimal airflow. So thereby I still would argue that $5 earphones are sufficient to notice the difference.

I personally use Shure 210 earphones that cost 100-150 bucks which isn't really an audiophyle gear and trust me when I listen to Chopin in these, I feel that heaves are openining up just for me.

Just to mention, Pedro's is not only leading in terms of music quality. If you actually look at the content of the upload; Self-scanned Artwork at minimum 600dpi and really nice description while at waffles it is usually an useless soundtrack list.
    Last edited by AkaiDoresu; 05-06-2009 at 04:47 AM.
    Have a nice day.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    jincandoit's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    so far, as far as classical music are concerned,
    they could boil down to LzTr/Pedro's/What.CD/Waffles/Demonoid to the best torrent sites as mentioned above.

to patiesmiz, thanks for your accurate files numbers on those sites.

to cine, AKai, both of you guys are great !
    actually, I am enjoying reading you guys informative, well grounded opinion.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    I'm looking around for a good classical tracker too... Demonoid is the best I've seen so far.

I've heard rumblings that Libble might have a decent classical selection. Any members know for sure?

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Demonoid is the most expansive, easiest to access and easiest to seed back. For classical music, stick with that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123