Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardly any surfing after using Torrent

janlafata's Avatar Member
    I know that running a torrent slows your surfing down to a halt sometimes, but even after I'm through downloading and I close the torrent I have a hard time connecting and/or navigating from more than a page or two with either Internet Explorer or Firefox. Usually I have to reboot to be able to surf well again.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    RedRansom's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    If you are using NOD32 version higher than 3.XX
    With µTorrent downloading, IE7 and Firefox were slow to start and slow to browse. Issue resolved by >
    NOD32
    Setup
    Antivirus and antispyware
    Web Access Protection
    HTTP
    Web Browsers
    EXCLUDE µTorrent.exe
    NOD32 version 3.0.621.0
    Didn't have the problem with previous version of NOD32, 2.x.x.x.
    Cheers.
    Spoiler: Show

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    You could also cap the max download in your torrent client

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Or https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-gui...working-348397
    also if you got a port trigger app running you might wanna exit it too.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    zedex's Avatar Borat Brother BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRansom View Post
    If you are using NOD32 version higher than 3.XX
    NOD32 version 3.0.621.0
    Didn't have the problem with previous version of NOD32, 2.x.x.x.
    Cheers.
    Spoiler: Show
    thx m8 , i totally forgot about it

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    janlafata's Avatar Member
    Thanks all for your input. First off I do have ESET Smart Security 4 and I checked the settings that you said to. Problem is ESET is very vague on whether a check mark means excluded or not. I think it is.

Also I checked on those settings in about:config and everything was already tweaked except for "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" Sorry to disagree with you on that but from everything I have read, it does no good to set the value above 8, although I imagine there would be a lot of people who dissagree with that.

Also I throttled back on uTorrent, the maximum number of connections to 100, the number of connected peers to 50 (though that might be too low, I don't know) the number of upload slots per torrent to 5 and the maximum upload rate to 20 kB/s. This has all helped quite a bit

I also had a tech friend of mine suggest that I look on the uTorrent site for a fix to the problem. He told me that, when this happens again, open Task Manager and check the Networking stats. That if there is any bandwidth being used after you shut down the bittorrent client and you don't have the browser open then that means the users from the bittorrent haven't been disconnected.

He suggests instead of rebooting to open a command window and use the ipconfig release/renew command to reset and reconnect your ip connection. That will disconnect any torrent users still connected. I tried that and ipconfig /release worked but ipconfig /renew drew an error.

He also said that I could even write a small script to automatically release and renew your ip connection, though that is a little byond my capabilities.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Is this because you want your torrents to download ASAP while you surf? For me, capping a little under my max download lets me browse as fast as when I'm not downloading a thing, and cause I don't have a slow connection I don't even notice the ETA difference. I'd think simply capping download would do worlds more than capping uploads and limiting those other connections. I could be wrong though cause I don't know too much about this tech stuff, I'm only speaking from experience.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Zaxx's Avatar Ol' Skool P2P BT Rep: +3
    A lot of routers don't do well with bit torrent...if I get too many torrents going at once I bog down. I log into my router via Firefox and do a release/renew once/twice a day. The wife also has torrents running on her pc...gets annoying. One thing I did to help a little is turn off statefull inspection (SPI) in the router and use the one in NetLimiter instead. GL bro...
    Last edited by Zaxx; 05-04-2009 at 07:11 AM.
    "It's not what ya got, it's what you give."
    Please do not PM me for invites. Thx.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Ohh ok now I understand. Never thought about the lag issue in that sense before.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Unless you down- and upload an excessive number of torrents simultaniously, resulting in many (>150) active simultaneous connections, you could give cFosspeed a try instead of Netlimiter. It's a pretty decent traffic shaping (not just bandwidth limiting) solution for all who don't have router with QoS / traffic shaping support (and even if you have a QoS router, chances are that it won't handle bittorrent well, like most consumer grade (= affordable) routers).

Install cfossspeed on all of your machines sharing the internet connection, and set it to 'cooperative' mode. With time, it will automatically 'learn' the limits of your internet connection, and prioritise important traffic (e.g. VoIP, HTTP, chat etc.), while giving bittorrent and other filesharing protocols a low priority.

But again, it won't handle an excessive number of simultaneous active connections well (>150 connections per machine it is installed on). But for most cases, that should be enough.
    Last edited by shipwreck; 05-04-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast