Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Connection Sharing

Hope someone can offer some advice on this one........

I have 2 computers on a LAN (using network cards only). The host using ME connects to broadband. The client on 98 connects to the host.

Previously.......
    I managed to have internet access on both computers but no file sharing.

Then......
    (after my computer crashed when running Shareaza and K++ simultaneously) I lost all internet access on both computers and one of the network cards (on the host) showed a conflict.

So I....
    Removed the NICs from Device Manager and network/controlpanel and (after my computer displayed "no TCP Configuration") I removed all the Communications folder from "Windows Setup / Add Remove Programs". I then reinstalled the NIC and reinstalled the Communications folder.

Now.......
    I DO have file sharing accross the network and internet access on the host but no internet access on the client.

In the Network/Control Panel on the host there is a "TCP/IP(Home) ......." but no "TCP/IP(Share)........". I've tried extracting the relevent file from CABS but no luck and on looking, they already seem to be in the system folder anyway.

Any advice would be much apreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    *note: Remove ICS from "add remove programs" then re-install. Dont just remove the adapter, some .dll files still remain.

Are you using a cross-over cable?

The main 'puter needs 2 nic cards.

Main puter should have:
    netbue for each nic
    tc/ip for both and any other adapters
    file and printer sharing

Install ICS then you should have:
    ICS to both nics
    ICS to ICS

*remove any other ICS's; remove netbu to ICS

The Client puter just needs tc/ip and file and print sharing.
    no netbue and no ipx's

Hope this helps,
    Steve

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Just in case what skelley521 said didnt work, you can always see step by step tutorials on home networks HERE

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    * I uninstalled ICS but only by removing it from "network/Controlpanel" - I later had to reinstall it after my NICs. (Would that do it or would I have to go to A/R Programs?)

* I can't remember if it's crossover cable I'm using for the Host-Modem or the Client-Host but I know it's the right one (I checked when I got it) and have checked it and it's been right when I first set up the network (I had internet sharing before on the same cables).

* Got to NIC cards on host

* Havn't got Netbue????

* Got file and print sharing

* How do I get the TCP(Share).... back???

Thanks for all that Steve, I'll look into all your points and check it out.

Thanks also Cygnuz-Y, I'll check out that link

NB. I spoke to someone at Uni and he said that the problem was a result of my system crashing (is common with Shareaza when too many connections for modem are made) and then not restarting until hours later (I was out all day) as this means the system won't reset itself after restart. It seems strange althoguh after further following his advice (in uninstalling communications then reinstalling) I at least somehting if not all (the internet on the host and filesharing betweeen both). Is this the cause or a side-effect?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    * I uninstalled ICS but only by removing it from "network/Controlpanel" - I later had to reinstall it after my NICs. (Would that do it or would I have to go to A/R Programs?)
    You must use 'add/remove programs' to uninstall it properly.
    Sometimes a restart after wards also helps.

Install nic's and restart; install ICS and restart, then check to see if anything is working. If not check to see if you have the right protocols that I mentioned.
    You may have to remove a few of them as well then restart.
    It's been awhile since I have done it; XP Pro makes it very simple as a click of the 'setup a network button' and make a floppy to install network items on the client.

It can be a headache on on ME on 98 machines, oh I remember the pain....lol.
    As far as having to many connections causing the problem....I doubt it.
    It should still route the appropriate information. I have had six or seven different file sharing clients running and no problems.

EDIT: also make sure that the client puter is turned on and the nic cards are installed properly (device manager shows them) when you install ICS.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Ok, I had time to re-read your post (had to go to the kids football practice and only had a few minutes)
    As long as you have the home network setup to where each puter can see each other then you are ready to install ICS. Just make 'sure' you remove it add/remove programs first, restart and install ICS. Everything should work then.

Let me know how it goes,
    Steve

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Thats why i love XP's wizards for this stuff..easy as using xp

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    No luck yet......

I un and reinstalled ICS on A/R Programs and it still doesn't work.
    I'll keep trying but hopefully (I'm DLing the Corp Ed from Suprnova) I'll have WInXP soon so it should be easier.
    I've stayed away from going down that route as I didn't want to have to sort out the ICS again but now I have to anyway.

Thanks for your help,

samsamsamsamsamsamsamsamsam (I use samsamsamsam for short on my username)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    Quote Originally Posted by internet.news View Post
    Hope someone can offer some advice on this one........

I have 2 computers on a LAN (using network cards only). The host using ME connects to broadband. The client on 98 connects to the host.

Previously.......
    I managed to have internet access on both computers but no file sharing.

Then......
    (after my computer crashed when running Shareaza and K++ simultaneously) I lost all internet access on both computers and one of the network cards (on the host) showed a conflict.

So I....
    Removed the NICs from Device Manager and network/controlpanel and (after my computer displayed "no TCP Configuration") I removed all the Communications folder from "Windows Setup / Add Remove Programs". I then reinstalled the NIC and reinstalled the Communications folder.

Now.......
    I DO have file sharing accross the network and internet access on the host but no internet access on the client.

In the Network/Control Panel on the host there is a "TCP/IP(Home) ......." but no "TCP/IP(Share)........". I've tried extracting the relevent file from CABS but no luck and on looking, they already seem to be in the system folder anyway.

Any advice would be much apreciated.
    You could use torrents.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast