View Poll Results: Are you afraid to take chances with people?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 64.71%
  • No

24 35.29%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you afraid to take chances with people?

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    TheFoX makes a good point tho , my ex-wife was a cunt with the invite I gave her for Revtt and IPT but live and learn I guess .

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    BANNED BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Quote Originally Posted by Albo Da Kid View Post
    yes.. very little things get to me. for example just the fact of a girl breaking up with me drives me nuts even if i don't care about her. But when im the one to break up with her first, i don't even think about her afterwards.

I don't know what kind of phsycological fuck up this is but i go nuts when people fuck me over, even just a little bit. The feeling of someone letting you down is horrible
    Yeah, being let down sucks, yet one shall also look at positive side of such a let down. At least there will be one less people in the world who can let you down also there is always possibility the reason that one let you down for wasnt at the hands of person who let you down in the first place. There are different dimensions to life that might actually compel someone to let you down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Yes.

This is a prime example of why.

I've given out three invites in about 2+ years.

j0hn to FTN.
    Rafi to E****
    bd to What.

I have no regrets about inviting any of them.
    that was intended for fun nothing more, though obviously we have diffeerent sense of humour, that has nothing to prove that one might let you down. I think you are rushing to judgment, i have been on most sites except ftn n e... , though i am not interested in any of them, dont you think it is a little weird that if i were to let someone down, wouldnt it take place here since this is the only forum that i am using actively i guess? I think someone would come and accuse me of scamming, cheating, trading or any other issue here. Anyway the point is you shall not allow the actions of certan man cloud your judgments. At least this is what i believe anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    With people you take a chance every day , dropping your kids off at daycare, walking to school etc. I never had a problem meeting new friends or starting a new job , just be yourself I guess . Oh wait you mean invites ?
    JK i'v never had a regret with all the invites I'v given because I never expected anything in return other than the person being a good sharing member .
    Well actually, you are forced to take chance with people everyday because of conditions, if you are working, you obviously gonna take chance with daycare center, You in a way will be forced to take chances. what i meant in this poll is that are you afraid to take chances with people willingly? If it was in your power to give people an opportunity for something, would you willingly give them a chance? Nope i dont mean invites, yet gotta admit that was from where the idea came to me, regarding that i dont give invites too, i only give to my friends and the friends of them, therefore though i usually am not afraid to give people an opportunity for something, yet sometimes, i am kinda afraid of taking chances though.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Zaxx's Avatar Ol' Skool P2P BT Rep: +3
    Speaking of non-p2p stuff...I have been sorta gifted with the ability to pretty much be able to tell if someone's trustworthy or what have you soon after meeting them (aka a good judge of character)...so I rely on that combined with a good dose of common sense and a dash of wisdom that I have somehow managed to gain considering I'm not even forty..lol.

@TheFox....I remember being told a good while back that you would occasionally give someone a shot at joining your tracker if they came across to you as a worthy 'chance' to take. Tis a rare gesture anymore..good to hear not everyone is case hardened.
    Last edited by Zaxx; 05-08-2009 at 07:13 PM.
    "It's not what ya got, it's what you give."
    Please do not PM me for invites. Thx.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxx View Post
    @TheFox....I remember being told a good while back that you would occasionally give someone a shot at joining your tracker if they came across to you as a worthy 'chance' to take. Tis a rare gesture anymore..good to hear not everyone is case hardened.
    When I first started modding on UK-F, one of the other staff thought I was being way too soft when dealing with leechers, yet some of those guys are the core of filesharing these days. Who'd have thought that someone who didn't give a shit about a community five years ago would be a trusted 0day uploader today.

The fact is that many of our actions are moulded by how we are treated by our peers. Respect breed respect in stable individuals. One of my own staffers was a former hit and runner on a warning.

I always remember one case where I sent a leecher a message saying that if he didn't seed back, his account would be disabled. His response was that he was in so deep that I might as well disable his account. We worked together to help him out of the hole. Each week I would set a target for him to achieve, and when he achieved that target, he was allowed to download another torrent of his choice.

At the end of a two month period, he had regained 'user' status and, more importantly, regained his dignity.

While I disabled a fair few die hard leechers (and IP banned those that kept signing up for new accounts), I also had a good proportion that attained 'user' status. Some even attained 'power user' status, as a way of saying thanks for me being human.

One guy took six months of hard work to attain that 'power user' status, just so he could PM me and say, 'thanks'. The day after I got the PM from him, UK-F was taken down for good...

Then there are those who I trusted implicitly, only for them to burn me. The biggest culprit was a guy that stole my code and circulated parts of it around. Just goes to show that you don't really know who to trust...

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Gotta give you props man...amazing that you haven't totally lost faith in the torrent community (outside your site anyway...lol). I recently got a good taste of the 'ya never know' flavor (posted above) and yes...the taste is rather bitter I must say.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Well, I mingle with a lot of tracker owners and administrators, and I can tell you that feelings towards FST and its members is not favourable, yet I feel different.

To me, if this place was filled with 90% losers and 10% quality, I'd be looking for the quality (I'm not saying what ratio of FST members are crap or quality).

To some, the glass is half empty, but for me the glass is half full, with the potential to top up.

And the real question of this thread is, 'Are we pessimistic or optimistic, and to what degree?'

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    To me, if this place was filled with 90% losers and 10% quality, I'd be looking for the quality (I'm not saying what ratio of FST members are crap or quality).

To some, the glass is half empty, but for me the glass is half full, with the potential to top up.

And the real question of this thread is, 'Are we pessimistic or optimistic, and to what degree?'
    Very true...and I can honestly say I fall on the optimistic side. To what degree tho? Guess for me that would probably vary from situ to situ. Let's face it, there's always gonna be things that we hadn't counted on to go south..then, for me, it's a question of did this person go out of their way to screw me over (premeditated) or was it something that just 'happened'? If it's intentional, I put that person in my crosshairs (which got me an infraction here for public accusation ). This applies to invites as well as real life. Then there's the good ol 'hind sight is 20/20' saying that def applies, but hey...thats how ya learn. As they say...Screw me once, shame on you..screw me twice, shame on me.
    Tho there are exceptions that come to mind pretty quick...
    Last edited by Zaxx; 05-09-2009 at 03:18 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I am far to optomistic, an a push over lol

I have got in countless members from here, and when i do i always put in their modcomments "username" From FST.

Cirno bans them (not just for the hell of it) and gets really pissed off that I trusted them in the first place.

Cirno and me are completely different, Cirno wont take any shit, and the highlight of his day is banning members, me, I feel so bloody guilty banning anyone, and i am always willing to give them the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, chance.

When we had the prize draws for consoles, everything worked great, as Harcroft and Slipfinger were honest as the day they were born (even though Harcroft since then and spread some untruths) but I had a sysop that i had known for 2 years, who said he was in the PC Business, so we had a laptop and other things up for grabs, gave him the cash, never seen the fucker again lol

So it doesnt matter if you have known them for 2 minutes, or 2 years, some will be great forever, others will turn on you at the first sign they are geting something.

But even ater all that, I am still far to trusting, and soft.

as for invites.

For my site i will take anyone, if they fuck up, no skin off my nose, but if i never owned BCG, and i was a member of BitmeTV as an example, and i had Invites, i would never ever dream about using them, or just giing them away to anyone, I would have to know them from other places, and i mean know them really well.

There are some good people in this world, but there are a lot of Cunts as well, you just have to sort through the Cunts to find the gems.

From all the giveaways i have done on here, we have 24 members left from FST and 3 of those are banned, remember though pruning, prunes banned members as well.

So out of the 100`s I have got in from here, we only have 21 members left, all the others either got banned and pruned, or just pruned.

It does make you wonder though.
    Last edited by stoi; 05-09-2009 at 04:46 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I never understood why tracker staff look at a pruned account as failure. There can be so many different reasons for that happening. Other interests show up in real life. You lose interest. No proper internet for a while. And many other reasons.

I don't have trouble trusting people. I feel I am a pretty good judge of character. But I am realistic, so I won't just give invites to just anyone... seems to be the essence of this poll.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Albo Da Kid's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Quote Originally Posted by Night0wl View Post
    I never understood why tracker staff look at a pruned account as failure. There can be so many different reasons for that happening. Other interests show up in real life. You lose interest. No proper internet for a while. And many other reasons.
    They should extend the pruning limit time to at least 3 months

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast