Thread: Remote Desktop Connection

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Anyone know what tcp or udp port that remote desktop connection uses to connect. My router config had the default port but I deleted it from the config file some time ago now I would like to use remote desktop from school and was wondering what the default port was.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Configure Your Router

If you use a router to connect to the Internet, you probably need to configure it to allow the Remote Desktop connection to your computer. For more information on routers and firewalls, see my Internet Firewalls column. You need to forward two ports to your Windows XP Professional-based computer: TCP port 3389, which Remote Desktop requires, and the port you specified in the TCP Port field in Internet Information Services (or TCP port 80 if you did not change the default). If you use Internet Connection Firewall (and you should&#33, see How to Manually Open Ports in Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP for instructions on allowing traffic by TCP port.
    source
    hope that helped

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by 4play@23 September 2003 - 21:57
    Configure Your Router

If you use a router to connect to the Internet, you probably need to configure it to allow the Remote Desktop connection to your computer. For more information on routers and firewalls, see my Internet Firewalls column. You need to forward two ports to your Windows XP Professional-based computer: TCP port 3389, which Remote Desktop requires, and the port you specified in the TCP Port field in Internet Information Services (or TCP port 80 if you did not change the default). If you use Internet Connection Firewall (and you should&#33, see How to Manually Open Ports in Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP for instructions on allowing traffic by TCP port.
    source
    hope that helped
    Thanks

So its 3389 according to that right?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    you may want to read the whole guide as it does a few bits of security information.

thats if your using win xp that is. i know you use linux so im not sure if you would be or not.

and yes port 3389 and 80.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by 4play@23 September 2003 - 22:02
    you may want to read the whole guide as it does a few bits of security information.

thats if your using win xp that is. i know you use linux so im not sure if you would be or not.

and yes port 3389 and 80.
    I run linux on my mj-12 and my laptop. I have another pc that runs xp pro and thats the one I would be connecting to from campus. I recently moved off campus with some friends so Im not on the campus network unless Im actually in a class and while there I would like to use remote desktop to connect to the xp box that I have. And actually now that you have mentioned it, I maybe able to connect using vnc in linux. There is one computer I use at school that runs freebsd and I think it has vnc installed which is actually a clone of remote desktop. But I was initially planning on doing an xp to xp connection from my vb.net class because we have a problem saving our projects on the schools server. they use crappy novell servers.

Thanks

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    no problem.

my uni runs red hat servers and they are also screwing up all the time.

I normally just use ssh to move files between uni and home its more secure.

but i might be tempted to try my hand at a remote desktop login just for the sake of it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by 4play@23 September 2003 - 22:20
    no problem.

my uni runs red hat servers and they are also screwing up all the time.

I normally just use ssh to move files between uni and home its more secure.

but i might be tempted to try my hand at a remote desktop login just for the sake of it.
    Hey, I run Red hat Linux Advanced Server

Just kidding, well actually i do but I dont suggest a big university using it unless the admins know what their doing. Im still learning it but know enough to deploy it correctly.

And yeah ssh is about as secure as its gonna get.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    And yeah ssh is about as secure as its gonna get.
    not recently

two patches in the last week i believe.