Thread: Growl for Windows Adds Mac-Style Notifications

SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer

System notification tool Growl for Windows is a slick, customizable, universal alert system for your applications—so you don't have to be jealous of your Mac friends anymore.

After installing the utility, you'll have to download plugins to support application-specific notifications—the current set of plugins supports iTunes, Firefox, Microsoft Outlook, Pandora's AIR application, Visual Studio, and there's even a command-line utility to send notifications to Growl, which you could launch from your own custom AutoHotkey scripts.

You can customize almost anything about the notifications, including selecting from a number of included skins. Clicking on the tiny monitor in the screenshot will allow you to place the notifications where you want them to appear.

Growl for Windows is still in beta, so the plugin support isn't as comprehensive as the Mac version—but the developer provides a full set of programming APIs in addition to the easily-hackable command-line utility, so it shouldn't be long before more applications are supported or our ubergeeky Lifehacker readers throw some scripts together.
    Firefox Addon

Lifehacker

Growl

Here's Snarl too: Lifehacker Snarl

Snarl
    [center]

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    VinX's Avatar ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ BT Rep: +5
    aww .. sweet .. gonna tweak my windows now ..

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    What's the point?

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Because it's cool just like my hair is I like fun stuff and theme stuff, at least I thought it had a point for me, maybe not you but maybe others....it's still a fun toy
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 05-09-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    [center]