Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time In Your Lives When Pride Stood In The Way....

Originally posted by Somebody1234@25 September 2003 - 00:26
    Don't you even have enough pride not to show us that you can't wait 15 minutes for people to answer you?
    man its hard enough that you have 5 clubs + football practise + taking care of my lil bro, i dont seem to have time to do my homework i try hard to get straight A's i would be very thankful if you help me out

2. Lounge   -   #12
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Pride in my opinion is just the fear of making a mistake or of not admitting making a mistake in case of ridicule by your peers.

Just think of a couple of examples:-

Your teacher: Very few of the will admit they have erred, because they think wrongly that their pupils would ridicule them The opposite is the case.

Politicians: They will never admit that they are wrong because that would give their opponents ammunition.

These are just a couple of examples of situations. I am sure you will probably think of a few more yourself.

Remember to err is human but sometimes pride prevents you from being human.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Look up the definition of pride in Websters Dictionary. There is enough there to keep you talking for about five minutes. If you cant find it let me know and i will PM you with a transcript.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    ^ thanks i will look int that

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Forum Star
    Originally posted by showstopper496@25 September 2003 - 00:52
    ^ thanks i will look int that
    look in to taking pride in your work as well

6. Lounge   -   #16
    thanks i made up a eassay my self tell me is this is any good

Code:
    The time when I let my pride stand in the way of what I felt was right was a few years back I was playing baseball with my friends. There was a new kid who wanted to play with us. This kid moved to my neighbourhood only a few days back, I talked to him and he seemed like a very nice person. He had a leg diesiese and he walked with a limp, but he had good character. He said he was good and wanted to play baseball with us. All of my friends burst out laughing and started making fun of the new kid. He started to look a litte frighted because of my friends. I felt really bad and wanted to stop my friends but I could not, so I joined my friends and started making fun of the new kid. He tried to run away but my friends kept making fun of him.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    update here is my full essay what do you think of it

The time when I let my pride stand in the way of what I felt was right was a few years back I was playing baseball with my friends. There was a new kid who wanted to play with us. This kid moved to my neighborhood only a few days back, I talked to him and he seemed like a very nice person. He had a leg disease and he walked with a limp, but he had good character. He said he was good and wanted to play baseball with us. All of my friends burst out laughing and started making fun of the new kid. He started to look a little freighted because of my friends. I felt really bad and wanted to stop my friends but I could not, so I joined my friends and started making fun of the new kid. He tried to run away but my friends kept making fun of him.
    I felt so bad about that incident that I did not see my friends for the whole weekend. I sat home thinking of what I did wrong. I called my friends and ask them how they felt about the incident they said they did not care. I always wanted to apologize to the new kid but I could not. Soon after his father got a new job and they moved to New York.
    If I had a chance to change the situation I would certainly change and I would have probably told my friends to leave him alone instead of making fun of him. If I had a chance to meet him someday I would defiantly apologize to him. The lesson I learned is that treat other people, as you like to be treated.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by showstopper496@24 September 2003 - 19:53
    thanks i made up a eassay my self tell me is this is any good

Code:
    The time when I let my pride stand in the way of what I felt was right was a few years back I was playing baseball with my friends. There was a new kid who wanted to play with us. This kid moved to my neighbourhood only a few days back, I talked to him and he seemed like a very nice person. He had a leg diesiese and he walked with a limp, but he had good character. He said he was good and wanted to play baseball with us. All of my friends burst out laughing and started making fun of the new kid. He started to look a litte frighted because of my friends. I felt really bad and wanted to stop my friends but I could not, so I joined my friends and started making fun of the new kid. He tried to run away but my friends kept making fun of him.
    You ever see the Movie flatliners?You in trouble Boy.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Originally posted by bigboab@25 September 2003 - 00:46
    Pride in my opinion is just the fear of making a mistake or of not admitting making a mistake in case of ridicule by your peers.

Just think of a couple of examples:-

Your teacher: Very few of the will admit they have erred, because they think wrongly that their pupils would ridicule them The opposite is the case.

Politicians: They will never admit that they are wrong because that would give their opponents ammunition.

These are just a couple of examples of situations. I am sure you will probably think of a few more yourself.

Remember to err is human but sometimes pride prevents you from being human.
    @BigBoab, re. your comment about teachers, do you believe that teachers should always admit their mistakes, no matter who or what age group they are teaching?

10. Lounge   -   #20
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Originally posted by showstopper496@25 September 2003 - 01:05
    update here is my full essay what do you think of it

The time when I let my pride stand in the way of what I felt was right was a few years back I was playing baseball with my friends. There was a new kid who wanted to play with us. This kid moved to my neighborhood only a few days back, I talked to him and he seemed like a very nice person. He had a leg disease and he walked with a limp, but he had good character. He said he was good and wanted to play baseball with us. All of my friends burst out laughing and started making fun of the new kid. He started to look a little freighted because of my friends. I felt really bad and wanted to stop my friends but I could not, so I joined my friends and started making fun of the new kid. He tried to run away but my friends kept making fun of him.
    I felt so bad about that incident that I did not see my friends for the whole weekend. I sat home thinking of what I did wrong. I called my friends and ask them how they felt about the incident they said they did not care. I always wanted to apologize to the new kid but I could not. Soon after his father got a new job and they moved to New York.
    If I had a chance to change the situation I would certainly change and I would have probably told my friends to leave him alone instead of making fun of him. If I had a chance to meet him someday I would defiantly apologize to him. The lesson I learned is that treat other people, as you like to be treated.
    ....and that it is much easier to conform than to be an individual

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast