Thread: Dual Boot System

I am planning to clean (re)install Windows 2000 on my XP/2000 dual boot system.

The problem is that doing so will mess up the boot sector and XP will then not be found during boot up. The alternative is to then reinstall XP, but i'd rather not. I use 2000 as my home office, and XP for myself and my flatmates to play games, p2p, internet etc.

What would be the best bet? Ideally i'd like to 'repair' the boot sector after reinstalling 2000 so it would again recognise the dual boot. How do i go about this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Just start a new install of XP( from inside win2k) after win2k is finished. Instead of choosing to continue the install after reboot, choose repair, command prompt.
    Type c:>fixmbr and then c:>fixboot .
    Reboot into win2k and edit the boot.ini to show the correct partition. Delete the reference to the new install or setup. delete all the temp files at the root of c: and you should be back to normal.
    If it still won't boot XP, just edit the boot.ini for default OS and your XP partition. Someone should be able to give you an example of a correct "dual boot" boot.ini

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    SniperInTheShadows's Avatar Poster
    You could do what balamm said, or you could try using Partition Magic and install it on both OS' and use the PQBoot program that's part of it to switch between OS' :-) That should work, but I take no responsibility if it doesn't lol :-P

Sniper.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thanks Balamm, i'll try it out at the weekend. Regarding the dual boot ini, it'll be alright if i keep a copy of the current file.

Sniper- Thanks for the tip mate. To be honest i think the only point of using partition magic is if you have real problems. Otherwise i'll not touch it. That's just my opinion though.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Look at the winXP tips. An explanation for your ¨problem¨ http://www.dougknox.com/

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by LTJBukem@25 September 2003 - 04:57
    To be honest i think the only point of using partition magic is if you have real problems. Otherwise i'll not touch it. That's just my opinion though.
    I don't understand your thinking.

The point of using Partition Magic is to create partitions. You certainly don't have to be experiencing trouble to want to do that...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    SniperInTheShadows's Avatar Poster
    You're welcome LTJBukem (awesome nick by the way, Bukem's my favorite DJ - especially when he's got Conrad MC'ing on his set's!! :-) )

Partition Magic's not just for when you have problem's though, it's also handy for quickly making changes to partition's (such as merging or splitting etc) and has the option of setting a partition for installing another OS and then hiding each OS from each other (e.g. 2000 won't see XP and vice versa) :-)

Whatever you decide to do though, I hope it work's for you :-)

Sniper.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Hellie@25 September 2003 - 12:39
    Look at the winXP tips. An explanation for your ¨problem¨ http://www.dougknox.com/
    Nice site thanks.

I use Partition Magic too and its great at what it does.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I knew i'd get trouble for speaking ill of partition magic. What i mean is i'd rather set up partitions when installing my operating system(s), on a clean disc, rather than f*cking about with them when there is data saved on there. I might mess with existing partitions using the likes of PM, but only if absolutely necessary.

I'm sure it does an absolutely beezer job though.

Sniper:- Yeah Bukem's great eh.
    To be honest though, i'm more into his mellow 'intelligent' drum 'n' bass (particularly when i'm stoned), than his live sets with Conrad. If anyone wants to check him out, get . It's truly amazing.

Oo quick, hide. . We better stop talking about music before gets here.