Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Use Windows 7 Or Use Something Else.

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Not at all. I didn't even start using Vista until SP2 tho, so in my experiences with it, it was a top notch OS.
    My point was , be patient as the hardware support is there the software not so much . That will change quickly , seen it already with my first Win 7 Win update .

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/974332

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    In the past week I've done four OS installs- three Win 7 and one XP Pro.

The three Win 7- two laptops and one desktop- went flawlessly and only one (the desktop, oddly enough) required a driver (for sound) after install.
    All required third party software installed and worked without a hitch.

On the other hand, the XP install not only required the F6 floppy dance to even see the SATA drive, but had a Device Manager full of yellow exclamation points when finished. ALL drivers were needed and, since there was no internet access possible till the ethernet driver was found, a second PC was required to finish the process.

I honestly don't know why people still cling to XP...if your machine is so lame that it can't meet 7's basic requirements, it's time for a new machine.
    Familiarity breeds procrastination; I suppose.

-bd

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    I still use windows vista.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by thegladiator View Post
    I still use windows vista.
    You poor basterd .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Liking Win 7 more atm than before (driver issues largely fixed), but still having balky mouse problems...third mouse, now; one wired Logitech laser and three wireless (two Logitech and one Microsoft).

Two monitors fully functional on first post-install boot is kinda new-cool - all default settings are dead-on.

I REALLY liked that.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    still having balky mouse problems...third mouse, now; one wired Logitech laser and three wireless (two Logitech and one Microsoft).
    I've only had one issue with my meeses and that was solved by reinstalling the Logitech software.
    Was your wired mouse connected through USB or PS2?

Your wireless mice have to be USB, have you checked the Device Manager for issues in that area?
    Maybe the mice are but a symptom of an underlying problem...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Been using 7 RC1 for months on my tablet Pc and it just rocks... The inking features are a real improvement over Vista, multitouch and the likes work like a charm and I never had any problems driver-wise... Very stable, small memory footprint, great reactivity. A real treat

That being said, Vista X64 with SP2 is an excellent OS too, stable, never crashes and quite speedy - given that you feed it with large amounts of ram and a beefy setup (main pc rig: overclocked Quad q9550, 8 gigs of ram, 4870x2 and Raid-0 arrays)

Preordered "el cheapo" 7 Home Premium when it was being sold for something like 50€ and I just can't wait for October 22nd as this will be my first truly bought Mircroshaft OS....

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    still having balky mouse problems...third mouse, now; one wired Logitech laser and three wireless (two Logitech and one Microsoft).
    I've only had one issue with my meeses and that was solved by reinstalling the Logitech software.
    Was your wired mouse connected through USB or PS2?

Your wireless mice have to be USB, have you checked the Device Manager for issues in that area?
    Maybe the mice are but a symptom of an underlying problem...
    All mice are USB.

I also think I'll poke around on Start64 to see if they know of any Win7 mouse stuff; that's a great site - they chase mfr stuff for us 64bit folk, and they're off into Win7, too.

I think I already peeked at Device Mgr., but it's easy enough to refresh my memory.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    All mice are USB.
    Just for grins, try your wired USB mouse with a PS2 adaptor and see if the problem goes away.

You have such an adaptor lying around, don't you?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Think so...

-Mark Twain

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast