Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zonealarm....

Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Ok....this probably has been asked before, and yes, I did use the searchfunction, but I didn't exactly find a solution to my problem.

I installed zonealarm pro, and just chose the default configuration, so what the computer suggest.... Problem is,when I run the firewall and I'm on the internet, I can only view the google website, but not other websites, like this, or hotmail, etc....

I'm probably doing something really really stupid, but I'd appreciate it if someone can enlighten me

oh yeah, I use Windows XP, if that makes any difference.

Thank you

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Double Agent
    i am gonna share my experience with zonealarm with you

rule of thumb: firewalls can really be a bitch when it comes to accessing stuff on the internet or if you are running services on your computer.

my advice is, get yourself a really good hardware router and use that to improve your computer security.

running ftp with zonealarm is just impossible. there are TONS of stuff to configure. frankly if you want all the hassle, just uninstall the firewall altogether.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thanks for the advice, but for now, I'd like to keep zonealarm anyway. Any other suggestions?

I really should get this ' i'm stupid' t-shirt or something. Lol, maybe they can include it on the k-lite gear

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    can you actually use google to search? i am guessing that you have disallowed ie from getting onto the net and are veiwing a cached google if this is so then im sorry i cant be more helpfull here it has been along time since i have used zlm find the tab with programs and make sure ie has permtion to get onto the net ie no x either a ? or tick is what should be there

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thank you, it works now

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    no probs mate

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    when I turn off program controll..

grrrrr, I hate software installations

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Although. You really should enable program control. It'll alert you if any trojans or ad/spyware try to access the net, and also if you have any software installed which you don't want to call home.

I've got ZA Pro and it works great. Set program control to medium, this'll make programs ask for permission. Under the program wizard preconfigure your browser and components - this'll allow essential services such as generic host process for win 32 services.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    goto the programs tab and mark the things u r not sure of with a "?" stop then restart all your internet apps eg ie outlook messenger one by one takeing care wether you click yes or no and wether you click rember this next time

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    "generic host process for win 32 services" i have that set not to be able to get onto the net...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast