Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Php Is It Like C++?

i know html and i wanted to start making polls and forums for my site... i downloaded the zip file for invision board forum but i didnt have a clue what to do lol... so im thinking of learning some pHp... is it simlar to c++? since i know basic c++ and is there any sites that i can download an ebook for it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    php is for web design, database stuff. c++ is for writing programs. Im pretty sure.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    php is a server side scripting language which in plain english means it is a set of commands that are run on the server and the user will only ever see the results.

c++ is a mainly compiled language ( i have seen an interperater out there which was very cool).

http://www.w3schools.com/ this is a great site and has to notch tutorials on all web based languages. B)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    PHP and SQL is installed on your server and it basically generates HTML, this can include the form of creating HTML pages on demand, much like a forum operates. Together with SQL - a database engine - you can miinipulate data powerfully with polls, guestbooks etc.. C++ is a programming-language that allows you to make applications, but most frequently Win32 applications.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Amarjit@25 September 2003 - 10:09
    PHP and SQL is installed on your server and it basically generates HTML, this can include the form of creating HTML pages on demand, much like a forum operates. Together with SQL - a database engine - you can miinipulate data powerfully with polls, guestbooks etc.. C++ is a programming-language that allows you to make applications, but most frequently Win32 applications.
    False.

It does not generate html. Why would php generate html? That doesnt make sense. Thats like saying C++ generates C.

All php does is generates dynamic web content. Its great for content management systems like postnuke and phpnuke.

You dont need to know anything about php in order to install a php powered forum or cms (content management site) site. All you have to do is read the instructions for the board. What you do with invision board is edit a config file and put in the address of your sql server, the username and the password and other simple info. Basically after you edit it you go to your site and run the install script, it may be something like

http://localhost/bb/install.php or something.

And besides php cms and forums, you can have a php powered site without using a database server. But a lot of times a database server is more convenient and will be required for the most part.

Also php is a bit like asp. They are both kind of in a war right now, sort of like apache and IIS. But we all know who wins that one.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    That&#39;s what someone told me at Expert-Exchange when I was a novice at HTML/PHP etc..

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Amarjit@25 September 2003 - 11:00
    That&#39;s what someone told me at Expert-Exchange when I was a novice at HTML/PHP etc..
    Well you better go hunt them down and smack em.

No really though Im just kidding. I think you may have just worded it wrong. For the most part its pretty correct except the php generates html pages part.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Like shn said, you don&#39;t need to know anything about php in order to put up a forum.
    Go here for an installation tutorial about invision board.
    You can also try their forums for more information, here.

But I still think you would be much better off with phpBB.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    heh umm looking at phpbb... looks nice... what i didnt get about the invisionboard thing was the port 777 or whatever... it said you have to change it, so you dont get access denied or something...

and i was trying to work a poll and a guestbook which was in php...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    CHMOD 777

&#39;CHMOD&#39; is a Unix/Linux command that sets access permissions on files and directories.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast