Thread: Internet Browser Slowed Down By Register File

leonidas's Avatar Poster
    I''ve recently tried to install a version of sygate firewall on my computer, following the instructions contained in the *.nfo file provided with it.

Some of the instructions were: "You have to avoid product online registration, by double clicking on the following *.reg files: internet.reg & register.reg."

I did that, and since my internet browser (Crasy-Browser), which is an IE based program, is working like if my computer cpu was only 166 mhtz model or something.

-Kazaalite is working fine, so the problem is not about internet connexion settings.
    -I tried to solve the problem using a reg cleaner program named "registry mechanic 2", it detected some errors in the registry, repaired them, but my internet problem is still here.
    -I also removed my browser and then reinstaled it again. Still no changes.
    -I remembered that I had uninstaled IE using Xplite, so since I've reinstalled it with Xplite to, but the problem was still here.

So right now I don't really know what to do. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks! Leonidas.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    have you tried to remove internet.reg & register.reg from the registry?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Anytime you run a .reg file is always safe to open it up with notepad first, even if you think you may not be able to tell what it does. Open it up anyway and just have a brief look at it. If its suppose to be a crack and the data in the .reg file doesnt say anything about the program your trying to crack then it may be for some other means.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by exeus@25 September 2003 - 16:53
    have you tried to remove internet.reg & register.reg from the registry?
    How?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    If your operating system has system restore, then restore to a point before you ran the .reg files.

In xp system restore is at : start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Jg427@25 September 2003 - 21:35
    If your operating system has system restore, then restore to a point before you ran the .reg files.

In xp system restore is at : start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore
    Nice idea, actualy but I 've just done it, and it says that it can't restore my system as it was before (which is strange because I set to restore as it was on yesterday, the 24th).

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Try an earlier restore point. What is your operating system?

edit:
    If you made a backup in registry mechanic, then undo the reg clean, then try system restore again.

Some registry cleaners will remove a key for file associations that system restore needs to work right.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Thanks maybe I'll try that.

but now I've installed opera instead of crasy -browser, & it works perfectly, so I'm not sure I wan't to set again the registry, even if I prefered more my former browser.
    Anyway thank you very much! You 've teach me some interesting things which will for sure be usefull in the future.

Ps: my os is Xp pro corporate.