Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incomplete Downloads

Hi, I was wondering if files that download as incomplete with one newsgroup provider, are they likely to download as incomplete with all newsgroup providers. I'm asking as a lot of the files were incomplete for How I Met Your Mother Season 3 Disk 3 by RiverDvd. and I currently use Astraweb. So would anyone who uses Giganews be able to see if the par files download as complete for them and possibly upload them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by cnr5; 05-24-2009 at 04:06 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    captive's Avatar speaks.his.mind
    i can only give you my experience, i used to be with newsdemon and had quite a few files incomplete, and recently moved to astraweb and have not had this problem since.

also woth checking the .nzb file and that is it complete. maybe search for it on binsearch or newzleech and check it.
    Last edited by captive; 05-24-2009 at 05:54 AM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by cnr5 View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if files that download as incomplete with one newsgroup provider, are they likely to download as incomplete with all newsgroup providers. I'm asking as a lot of the files were incomplete for How I Met Your Mother Season 3 Disk 3 by RiverDvd. and I currently use Astraweb. So would anyone who uses Giganews be able to see if the par files download as complete for them and possibly upload them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    You request would have been easier if you had provided the filename, particularly as there are about a bazillion postings of this, in about every format imaginable, but the only real clue was the 'Riverdvd' so I'll 'assume' you meant the ntsc/sd versions.

Yes, one provider can be a bit different than another, but we're talking a bunch of par files here. One provider may/might have 'missed' a bit of one par, but extremely doubtful any more than that. A bigger concern is from where were the files uploaded at.

For some reason, my search feature on Giganews is coming back 'file not found'. Did you notice that these were posted almost 8 months ago (!!??!!); although all the servers are 'building' toward 365 day retention, that means that it will TAKE 365 days more into the future to achieve that, .

Although I did a 'small' test (the nfo/par2 file) on Astraweb and yet, they're still there. So, you should be able to get the pars that were originally uploaded.

The poster only uploaded 167 par2 blocks, pretty minimal. Like I said, these are VERY old files, besides which, tv episodic stuff like this is really better done via Netflix. And in this case, the disc has been obviously 'squished' by unknown methodology.

The original discs themselves have 7 30min episodes on them, with unknown (or no) extras. With using the rule-of-thumb run time on tv stuff today (far shorter than in years past) of ~22min per, then it's around 154min total. The nfo states that the video was squashed down to 3458kb/s, which isn't super bad, it's like I've said in the past, it's what you can tolerate.

Anyway, that's the rub. Way too old files. This time next year, on any decent premium server, no probs. But 7-8 months... BTW, it isn't even listed on most of the indexing sites anymore, dropped off into the bit-bucket.
    Last edited by Beck38; 05-24-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Spelling! Too Early...

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    So basically there is nothing I can do. I don't think you get Netflix in the UK. You don't even get season 3 of How I met your mother on DVD in the UK. Also I managed to download the Season 2 DVD-R's fine and they are older and from the same binary group.

Does this download as complete for anyone with Giganews how.i.met.your.mother.s03d3.ntsc.dvdr-riverdvd.vol106+53.PAR2.nzb
    If it does could you tell me so I could go and get a giganews account
    Last edited by cnr5; 05-24-2009 at 06:04 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    If this is one of your 'favs', then your best bet usenet wise is to set up a search thingy at one (or more) of the indexing sites to 'be on the lookout' for when they are posted again. And, from what I saw on a quick look at Newzbin, it probably won't be long.

There are many dvd 'rent by mail' joints in the UK, Netflix clones. If the pricing is about or around the same, you can get discs for < $1/ea on a monthly account (getting them and turning them around same or next day).

But it all depends on your internet costs, the UK and most European countries have VERY dense telecom infrastructures compared to most of the US (things are much closer together/smaller), so pricing and speed is much better overall.

But like I said, simply keep on the lookout.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    So basically there is nothing I can do. I don't think you get Netflix in the UK. You don't even get season 3 of How I met your mother on DVD in the UK. Also I managed to download the Season 2 DVD-R's fine and they are older and from the same binary group.

Does this download as complete for anyone with Giganews how.i.met.your.mother.s03d3.ntsc.dvdr-riverdvd.vol106+53.PAR2.nzb
    It downloaded fine for me; giganews.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    I guess I'll just have to wait till it is re upped. It's odd that how the first 2 disks downloaded fine but disk 3 is incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post

What account do you have with Giganews?
    Last edited by cnr5; 05-24-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I guess I'll just have to wait till it is re upped. It's odd that how the first 2 disks downloaded fine but disk 3 is incomplete.

What account do you have with Giganews?
    diamond.
    But i'm sure it would be complete no matter which giganews account level you used.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    But i'm sure it would be complete no matter which giganews account level you used.
    Giganews accounts are limited by retention. For instance, the 'Diamond' level is limited to 290 days, and the levels below that drop all the way down to 30 days.

I didn't try to get any files off GN, since the tracking server said they didn't exist. Of course, it might have been lying.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Giganews accounts are limited by retention. For instance, the 'Diamond' level is limited to 290 days, and the levels below that drop all the way down to 30 days.
    oh sorry didn't realize that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast