Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Usenet server in New York, USA or London, UK?

While traceroutes TO your usenet providers are useful, I am much more interested in the routing from them to me. If I trace to Astraweb from my home I get sent via Limelight (the llnw.net) but using their traceroute function via their site shows that my downloads get to me via Level3. This is much more important to me if I am having slow or sluggish downloads as Limelight might be fine but Level3 could be congested. You really need both to be able to diagnose problems that might crop up.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by unoriginal View Post
    While traceroutes TO your usenet providers are useful, I am much more interested in the routing from them to me.
    Yep, as I pointed out in a previous post, that's a 'reverse trace-route' and since the bulk of the traffic (since you're downloading) goes that route, that's where the rubber meets the road.

As for as a program the 'draws' the route via the 'tracert' returns, I haven't looked for quite a while, but I'd hop on Tucows and see what pops out of the woodwork. I think years ago the one I used was called 'ping tracer' or something like that, also had a feature that would ping an address and gather statistics like packet round-trip time and such, and graph them. Almost as good as some of the stand-alone tools (commercial) that cost >$1K and the like.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    When companies set up things like news servers they try to pick locations that give the best distribution to all customers, closest to the major backbone hubs. NY is just not in the right spot for that.

To see the route on a map there is visual route.
    http://visualroute.visualware.com/

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    newsgroupie
    Of course, the biggest internet backbone hub in the USA is located in Ashburn, Virginia (just outside Washington, DC) - where both the CIA and FBI headquarters are nearby.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    I said that along time ago and someone called me a noob
    [center]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12