Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Feral Hosting

Rin's Avatar Si vis pacem, P.B.
    Isn't it just common sense that if 1 pr!ck messes up the server for everyone he will be limited?, im on Feral aswell and my servers been getting screwed by someone so im all for the limiting its not like you're buying a private 1 user box.
    Last edited by Rin; 08-09-2009 at 08:50 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I am also for limiting, but I don't understand why they don't give everyone a fixed limit (in this case 100mbit/s each) instead of letting them use unlimited b/w and then threaten to limit it.
    Also, I don't understand why they have a limit of 20 peers per torrent. You can run 100 torrents with 20 active peers each if you like, but it isn't possible to raise the limit for a single torrent above 20.

I'm a total newbie so I don't really understand the technical mumbo jumbo, but the way I understood it he said he would lower the ammount of connections for me to even less than 20 (and possibly limit the bandwidth?) if I used too much server resources.

How should I know how much resources my torrents are eating?
    And why is this even a problem if the servers have such impressive specs? 2-3 active torrents can't be eating that much CPU/memory, can they?
    Last edited by monkeyseat; 08-09-2009 at 09:21 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Hello all,

I'm just going to run through some answers to the questions asked here, I'd rather everything was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by eqisow
    Unfortunately, the staff isn't very knowledgeable and is rather unprofessional. They didn't know anything about LVM and wouldn't set it up on a dedicated server, despite supposedly offering custom partition layouts.

I stated flat out that if they couldn't offer LVM I wasn't interested and wanted a refund. They proceeded to set up my server anyway. I'm now in the process of attempting to get a refund and will try to update with how that goes.
    You ordered first before getting an answer on LVM. When I said "no experience" I meant that it's not an option to receive support for; in my position if I had said yes I would have been expected to be an expert with the tools and then would have been blasted when I fall short of not knowing every aspect of LVM.

There was also another part to decline installing LVM: the servers come with pre-installed images, like many other hosting providers do to help speed up the process of clicking through the installer every time.

Perhaps I should look into more options for the future, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bungholio1
    Anyone know what is the set up time is for a seedbox ordered from Feral Hosting?
    The times quoted on the plans page are fairly accurate. If there are slots available it will remove the "9+" and "<72 hours" and quote 15 minutes. The number available is the exact number that are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Affinity
    I think it's pretty sneaky to write "availability: 9+" and "setup time: <72hrs" when you might have to wait a week or two before getting a box.
    There have only been a couple of instances where the set up times have exceeded 3 days, but even then it's not been as bad as a week. I'll happily offer a refund if that does happen though.

I have however only had it for a couple of hours so I can't really comment on the overall speed. Also, the power plan servers are shared by 10 users each.
    I started using the server pretty heavily and the owner said he would cap me if I used too much bandwidth.
    There are 9 users per server, some users will have extra FTP accounts and then there are other files/folders in the /home directories such as ftp, lost+found, to quote off the top of my head.

As for the capping, it isn't done. What I mentioned to someone on IRC today was that if the user edits the configuration files so that they are dominating sever resources (in one case someone tried to specify 1000 available peers) I will come in and tweak them to give others a fair chance.

When you're looking at using torrent speeds greater than 100Mbps you will find that the people who can fill it also have similar connections so having a huge number of peers will not dramatically increase speeds.

That's all folks! Feel free to drop me a line via e-mail: [email protected] or a support ticket via our website.

I am also working on permanently correcting the set up time thing. I really would prefer 15 minutes over a day or two as well!

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    xeqtr
    OP: Your question was how long it took from your order to receiving a confirmation from your order, it took me 2 minutes. (from receiving the welcome to feralhosting-detals) to receiving the order confirmation from google checkout.

Setup took roughly about 2½ day or so, but according to the website, 72 hours was stated, so that's definately okay.

In terms of seed cap, I was told as well (by Joshua) that adjusting the amount of seeds pr torrent wouldn't make any speed difference. Obviously, this is in my opinion a false statement. Right now my fastest download have been at 4.8 mb/s I think, while connected to 10 seeds, obviously being connected to 20 or 25 seeds on some of the more private trackers would probably increase this speed as well.

Also, I wrote how to do this, and I got a nice email describing in detail how to adjust seeds/torrents - But no warning regarding adjustment of the speeds. (I was gonna bump it to 25 pr torrent in stead, which is also what I use at home whenever I download/upload stuff on my uTorrent client).

At first feralhosting can seem a bit confusing, but I think I am getting the hang of it and so far it seems reasonable.

Right now the page is down - which sucks. Can't connect to anything unfortunately. Might be the firewall where I work, not sure though.

EDIT:

Seems like it's the firewall where I work that's blocking the traffic. I am able to connect using the Remote GUI through an open proxy somewhere in Germany.
    Last edited by xeqtr; 08-10-2009 at 06:35 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by _Lemon_ View Post
    There have only been a couple of instances where the set up times have exceeded 3 days, but even then it's not been as bad as a week. I'll happily offer a refund if that does happen though.
    Yeah, I understand that it can be a bit clogged up from time to time if the supplier doesn't have enough servers available, but if that is the case I think you should rather put out a notice about it on the site. I wouldn't mind waiting a few days extra as long as I were informed about the server status.

I recieved my account within the given time (<72hrs), but as I said, I spoke to guy who had already waited three days when I placed my order and I am assuming he recieved his account at around the same time as me.

I'm not in any way racking down on you, I am just giving suggestions to try to improve the service for the users.

As for the capping, it isn't done. What I mentioned to someone on IRC today was that if the user edits the configuration files so that they are dominating sever resources (in one case someone tried to specify 1000 available peers) I will come in and tweak them to give others a fair chance.

When you're looking at using torrent speeds greater than 100Mbps you will find that the people who can fill it also have similar connections so having a huge number of peers will not dramatically increase speeds.
    I'm not neccessarily looking to max out the connection, but as previously stated I haven't been able to get more than 1MB/s upstream, even on popular torrents with one seeder and many leechers.
    That was however back when the peer limit was 20. I have yet to try out the new limit (40), but I am assuming (and hoping) that I will be able to get at least a bit better speed upstream.

The downstream speeds have been insane, peaking at about 60MB/s (yes, 60MB/s!).

Also, I haven't quite understood the whole "resource hogging" thing. Wouldn't it be possible to limit the user to 100Mbit/s each, instead of giving everyone full access to the Gbit line?
    That way, people would be able to max out the connection without having to worry about causing trouble for the other users. It feels a bit weird to have to limit the torrent speeds yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by xeqtr View Post
    Right now my fastest download have been at 4.8 mb/s I think, while connected to 10 seeds, obviously being connected to 20 or 25 seeds on some of the more private trackers would probably increase this speed as well.
    Then the peers you are connected to have pretty slow connections. I was able to max out a torrent at a whopping 60MB/s, downloading a file of ~8GB in a matter of minutes.
    That was also when they had the 20 peers per torrent limit. It has now been increased to 40 per torrent, which means better speeds (assuming the people you are connected to have slow connection).
    At first feralhosting can seem a bit confusing, but I think I am getting the hang of it and so far it seems reasonable.
    I am of the same opinion. That could however be because I am new to this whole seedbox deal, but I am also pleased with the service (especially for the low price they offer).

I have yet to find a host that matches their plans and prices.
    Right now the page is down - which sucks. Can't connect to anything unfortunately. Might be the firewall where I work, not sure though.
    They have been having some DNS issues, but it should be fixed very soon and then there will be no connection problems.

On a side note I can mention that the reason why you can't reach the site is because your DNS hasn't been updated, the "problem" is in other word not server side and there is nothing feral can do to speed up the update process. AFAIK no DNS updates take more than 72hrs, so everyone should be able to fully access the site/servers within a day or so.

EDIT: For some reason, the peer limit is 20 on some torrents and 40 on others. Does anyone have any idea why it is this way?
    Could it have something to do with the torrents size? The torrent which is <1GB has a maximum peer limit of 40, but the larger torrent (5GB+) has a limit of 20.
    Last edited by monkeyseat; 08-10-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    The site seems to be down atm =/

I have one question for you lemon, will you guys be affected by the new change in OVH plans?

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    I'm not in any way racking down on you, I am just giving suggestions to try to improve the service for the users.
    It's very much appreciated. I do consider all the feedback given and really, this has come up a few times. The "9+" is confusing and could be replaced with something a bit clearer. However I'm in the school of thought that I really should be investing ahead in having many more servers up and ready available. Bring on the 15 minute set up times (basically the time it takes for the payment to come through + 5 minutes)!

EDIT: For some reason, the peer limit is 20 on some torrents and 40 on others. Does anyone have any idea why it is this way?
    Could it have something to do with the torrents size? The torrent which is <1GB has a maximum peer limit of 40, but the larger torrent (5GB+) has a limit of 20.
    There isn't anything to say "less peers for larger torrents" in rTorrent or Transmission as far as I'm aware. It could be quite simply a matter of not having that many peers available for the torrent -- can't [em]make[/em] them want to connect to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rart
    The site seems to be down atm =/
    DNS issues (DNS is hosted at Leaseweb currently). Refreshing constantly until until it decides it does want to work seems to get things working just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rart
    I have one question for you lemon, will you guys be affected by the new change in OVH plans?
    Only the speed plans are on the Kimsufi and I reckon the bandwidth is better than before but only time will tell. I plan to double the disk space on the speed plans and then sell off the old Kimsufi L servers that I have on a first come first server basis.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    'DNS issues'

Open a command line prompt and type 'ipconfig /flushdns'. That should clear it, and it should also flush the toilet, he he he.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by redguard View Post
    'DNS issues'

Open a command line prompt and type 'ipconfig /flushdns'. That should clear it, and it should also flush the toilet, he he he.
    Ahhh unfortunately it's nothing to do with your own computer. It's all Leaseweb's side of things as they're running it.

I think things have cleared up now, should be OK within 24 hours.
    Last edited by _Lemon_; 08-10-2009 at 08:00 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    There isn't anything to say "less peers for larger torrents" in rTorrent or Transmission as far as I'm aware. It could be quite simply a matter of not having that many peers available for the torrent -- can't [em]make[/em] them want to connect to you.
    I've been doing some testing and it appears as if rtorrent automatically places a limit of 20 peers per torrent when leeching and then bumps it up to 40 once it starts seeding.

Is it possible to change the limit manually? As I said, I'm not out to hog resources, but wouldn't it be possible for you to put out a global connection limit and then let the users decide how they want to distribute them? I'd prefer running a single torrent with 50 or maybe even up to 100 peers than a whole bunch of torrents with 20 peers each.

Also, do you offer RSS support (in form of RSSDler or similar) ? I added an RSS feed to the webGUI of rtorrent, but apparantly it is simply an RSS-reader which displays new torrents.
    Last edited by monkeyseat; 08-10-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast