Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That 70's Show

Crowley's Avatar n00b
    Any fans here? I'm just curious how many people actually love this show. Does anyone else think it's an epic American comedy series?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    It was a good show which i liked to watch, but its far from being an epic american comedy series its no Frasier or Seinfeld.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Crowley's Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Villalltheway View Post
    It was a good show which i liked to watch, but its far from being an epic american comedy series its no Frasier or Seinfeld.
    Well, I guess it's epic in a way that it reflects the culture of 60's 70's and perhaps 80's and these are some really important periods in American culture - and yet the show itself was directed in 90's.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Frazier garnered a lot of awards but it was hardly epic either (Cheers for a while maybe) If you are going to go by awards then Everybody Loves Raymond would be considered epic as well..

Epic comedy M.A.S.H.,SNL,All in the Family these were show that were both both tremendously popular and socially significant .

Shows that became part pf pop culture Friends ,South Park ,The Simpsons, Monty Python,The Larry Sanders Show,Happy Days,Mary Tyler Moore Show,Newhart,Soap,Married with Children,Red Dwarf if your a Brit etc.

Shows that were funny as hell but "too cool for school" Curb Your Enthusiasm,Arrested Development,Greg the Bunny

That's 70's/80's show doesn't fall into any of those categories .It was a mild diversion that gave Topher Grace a platform to hopefully move onto bigger and better things,made a star (unfortunately ) of Ashton Kutcher and allowed guys to ogle Mila Kunis who is way way better in The Family Guy btw.

Although it's rated 8.5 on iMDB I'd personally give it a 6.0 which means that it is better than the average crap out there just not a lot better.

And it doesn't reflect the 70's and 80's any more than Happy Days reflected the 50's (which is zero).And who told you that the 80's were an important period

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Crowley's Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Frazier garnered a lot of awards but it was hardly epic either (Cheers for a while maybe) If you are going to go by awards then Everybody Loves Raymond would be considered epic as well..

Epic comedy M.A.S.H.,SNL,All in the Family these were show that were both both tremendously popular and socially significant .

Shows that became part pf pop culture Friends ,South Park ,The Simpsons, Monty Python,The Larry Sanders Show,Happy Days,Mary Tyler Moore Show,Newhart,Soap,Married with Children,Red Dwarf if your a Brit etc.

Shows that were funny as hell but "too cool for school" Curb Your Enthusiasm,Arrested Development,Greg the Bunny

That's 70's/80's show doesn't fall into any of those categories .It was a mild diversion that gave Topher Grace a platform to hopefully move onto bigger and better things,made a star (unfortunately ) of Ashton Kutcher and allowed guys to ogle Mila Kunis who is way way better in The Family Guy btw.

Although it's rated 8.5 on iMDB I'd personally give it a 6.0 which means that it is better than the average crap out there just not a lot better.

And it doesn't reflect the 70's and 80's any more than Happy Days reflected the 50's (which is zero).And who told you that the 80's were an important period
    Every period is important in a way. Why don't you explain why you think so? Ashton Kutcher should become a star? Interesting, who so? There was lots of things that happened in 80's that reformed the social and economic situation in the US (revival of capitalism and laissez-faire economics). Some of those trends are already visible in That 70's Shows episodes as these social reforms came gradually and one can argue, were already present in late 70's.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Of course every decade has things of significance in it.The 1980's had the birth of the Gay rights movement ,the fall of both the the Eastern Bloc and Berlin Wall,computers moving toward the mainstream, punk ,Live Aid,Indiana Jones and the Challenger disaster.
    But they were more about Reaganomics, greed,soulless pop music and the rise of the Me generation.

True very period is important and there are voices to each generation ,it's just in the grand scheme of things the 80's ( in the America's at least )were less important and the voices considerably weaker.

And quoting wikipedia doesn't prove your point.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    random_'s Avatar n00b
    iam not fan, but anyway its good show and makes me laugh everytime i watch it

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I thought it was really good. I suspect IdolEyes to be a little older than most of us. I did watch MASH, but those were reruns. It is a very good show, but I'd have to say that That 70s show is just as good imo and so are Friends.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post
    I suspect IdolEyes to be a little older than most of us.

I'll go buy you some beer if you like.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post
    I suspect IdolEyes to be a little older than most of us.

I'll go buy you some beer if you like.
    I had a birthday not long ago. It's been the 2nd anniversary of me being able to do it on my own globaly.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast