Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why 64 bit is better then 32

mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank1 View Post
    Yeah, all new processors are 64-bit, but you can still run 32-bit apps on them with zero problems.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Frankthetank1's Avatar Über User BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    And also 32 bit OS. if you read that link i posted from techguy.org

Soundy

Senior Member with 1,262 posts.
    "I've run pretty much nothing but 32-bit XP Pro on my Athlon64 system since I got it. I tried the "evaluation" version 64-bit XP when it was first released, but too much stuff simply didn't work - the ATI Multimedia Center software, for example, wouldn't run with the All-in-Wonder tuner card. The bundled drivers worked and I could watch and control TV in other apps, but ATI's MMC package wouldn't run properly.

You likely won't see any huge benefit from a 64-bit chip even with a 64-bit Windows, unless you're using software that's designed to take full advantage of the parallel processing capabilities."
    “Just because you’re miserable doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your life.”

DO NOT RANDOMLY PM ME ASKING FOR INVITES!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Yeah, all new processors are 64-bit, but you can still run 32-bit apps on them with zero problems.
    the question is the opposite, install 64-bit on a 32-bit cpu.
    Last edited by Cabalo; 05-26-2009 at 11:56 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Frankthetank1's Avatar Über User BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    oooh, well i think that is obvious

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    yeah, but that's the question addressed in the link he posted.

Also, is it just me or is this guy being an ungrateful ass?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'v held back only because some programs , games don't play nice with XP 64 bit . I'd love to see my Dual Quad core fly with 64 bit and 8 gb of memory .

I'm holding out for Win 7 RTM then I'll take the plunge , with my other OC memory I'm waiting to install .

Here's why , look at the price of this shit :

http://www.alinx.ca/displayproducts1...e=Memory&id=11

Sorry guys last week the OCZ Gold 4 gb was $65. 00 CND don't know why the link say O ?
    Last edited by peat moss; 05-27-2009 at 04:29 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Well because 32-bit only reads up to 3GB of memory. The thing that I noticed with x64 is that very few applications are actually designed for 64-bit. But try running any OS wth 8 Gigs of RAM. Everything is so damn quick but you need 64-bit for this.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    huh? how am I ungrateful. I am just trying to help with info.. The person who did the video did sound a little obnoxious if that's what your trying to get at.

Also regarding apps & drivers that support 64 bit. Here is some more info that just came out yesterday.

Over the past two years, I’ve spoken to millions of people (okay, so maybe I’m exaggerating on the number) about application and driver support for 64 bit Operating Systems. Back in the days of Windows XP, I know there were very few devices that worked well on 64 bit. With Windows Vista, the number of applications and devices shot up dramatically. When I look at the processors that have been sold over the last two years, I don’t really see any that don’t have 64 bit capabilities. In fact, almost every new computer being sold is at least a dual core x64 bit capable machine.
    Given this information, one would think that the software vendors and hardware vendors out there would be writing 64 bit versions of their applications and creating 64 bit drivers for their hardware devices. Unfortunately, I’m not finding this to be the case. Why is this an issue for me? I finally decided to go with 64 bit on my production machines (both work and home) and it is so frustrating when applications or hardware devices no longer work. Most 32 bit applications will install fine and work in a 64 bit OS but some refuse to install. One of the great hardware devices I got attached to was my Neat mobile scanner. It worked just fine under 32 bit Vista and even 32 bit Windows 7. However, there are no drivers for 64 bit Vista and according to the companies website, it doesn’t look like they plan on creating one either. Sony fell into this category as well until April of this year. Their Picture Motion Browser software would not work on a 64 bit OS (in fact it would blue screen my machine) and it didn’t sound like they had any plans to support it. Thank goodness, Sony came around and posted an update on April to support the tool on 64 bit Vista (and works fine on 64 bit Windows 7).
    I can totally understand everyone’s frustration around this issue – especially since I’m personally affected by it as well. I sure hope companies take a hard look at the trends and reality of what’s happening in the computer industry and start supporting 64 bit Operating Systems sooner versus later!

http://blogs.technet.com/haroldwong/...d-drivers.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    yeah, but that's the question addressed in the link he posted.

Also, is it just me or is this guy being an ungrateful ass?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    One thing that is not mentioned is the fact that 99.999% of the average computer users have no use at all for 64 bit OS, they just don't need the processing power to chat online or to do the majority of functions that people have a home pc for. The 64 bit apps have almost always been the domain of engineering and other industries that require heavy processing power. In short most users have as much need for 64 bit Windows 7 as they do for an extra hole in their head. That's not to say that they could not see any benefit, but for the most part it will just be overkill and not even noticed by the user.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarkyone View Post
    One thing that is not mentioned is the fact that 99.999% of the average computer users have no use at all for 64 bit OS, they just don't need the processing power to chat online or to do the majority of functions that people have a home pc for. The 64 bit apps have almost always been the domain of engineering and other industries that require heavy processing power. In short most users have as much need for 64 bit Windows 7 as they do for an extra hole in their head. That's not to say that they could not see any benefit, but for the most part it will just be overkill and not even noticed by the user.

Actually just being able to use more RAM is totally worth having a 64-bit OS. As for applications well there are a lot of apps that are still just 32-bit. You are right very few actually take advantage of the processor.

I went 64-bit because I had more RAM than what my 32-bit OS can read. What a difference going from 2.75GB to 6 Gigs of RAM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast