Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Detection of File Sharing by Authorities

lynx's Avatar .
    First of all, if this is your own Mac, then they can't legally install any software to spy on you or look at what is on your computer without your permission, so you can ignore the scare stories that they know exactly what's on your PC. If they do, they are in far bigger trouble than you are.

What they MAY have, is usage stats of your bandwidth consumption, and possibly the protocols being used. Assuming that using file sharing software is prohibited that would explain the fine, and since merely downloading XP would not give rise to the usage levels you have almost certainly incurred they aren't likely to accept that bullshit explanation.

My guess is that they are going to be watching the usage levels from your pc so I guess you are going to have to watch yourself for a while.

djerholler69's idea may be the solution for you. Since there won't be any major uploads and you won't be using file sharing protocols they can't do much about it unless you exceed some other usage cap. You should ask the computer admins what that is so that you don't suffer this again.

They may refuse to give you a figure (just like ISPs do). If so, ask for the refusal in writing. That way, if they try to fine you again you can legitimately point out that you attempted to avoid the situation but they would not cooperate.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by hardsharing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by saulin View Post
    A domain administrator can see the content of any hard drive on the network. In fact we have access to all the data as far as deleteing files, copying files etc... Only very sensisitive data can be blocked from any user including domain administrators if the policy of the work place especifies that it must be blocked.
    lol access to private hard drive... thats a breach of privacy and rights, not to mention ILLEGAL. no where in any university ToS would you find something like that. now if you were using a campus pc then yes, searching would be within their right, but having an IT staffer attempt to access your HD on your PERSONAL computer is paramount to 'breaking and entering'...

what IS allowed however is traffic/bandwidth monitoring so you're SoL my friend.
    Oh he was using his personal computer?

Well I'm not sure how the policy is. But technically even if you use your personal computer as long as you are using the credentials given to you to log on to the school network, they still can access your HDD. Now I would think that given the sircunstances and if they believe you are doing something illegal, they are allow to see what's on your HDD if it could compromise the whole school network.

Now if the OP was using his personal computer he can totally deny anything, but I believe he already admitted to have downloaded Windows XP. Basically all he needs to do is wipe any traces from his laptop and yes it's not likely for them to have installed something like vnc to watch what he's doing all the time if it's his personal laptop.

personally I think taht using a work network or school network for warez is simply stupid. Unless you are an administrator and you know how to cover your ass.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    sake's Avatar V12 BiTurbo BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    sabatiersabrik

Buddy, where do you live?

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Mutantx's Avatar Dominator BT Rep: +1
    Well if you're not going to deny it, you might want to look into saying that you already own Windows Xp and you were trying to download it because you lost/broke your cd.

Just a suggestion. Not sure if this would work considering you have a mac.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    But admit nothing.
    That would be good words....I would...but do you have a roomate? Blame it on him But you could always do this too...say you bought Windows XP from teh store a long time ago, and give the excuse someone broke the disc, but you still have a valid CD key and need the OS. To get a valid key for the OS, just go down to the library, plug you flash card in, load Magic Jellybean Key Finger and find there corporate key, works like a charm.

sorry Mutantx didn't even read you post same thing I just said dumbass me , read the first pages and replied
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 06-10-2009 at 01:52 AM.
    [center]

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    I kinda agree that downloading copyrighted stuff on a college network isn't the wisest thing to do.Start considering RS or something else other than BT.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Usenet with SSL

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    I suggest a seedbox + FTPES...
    But you need time + money for that, so it may not be that suitable for you as student.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    MarkBoucher
    You have been fined - does this mean you need to pay money, is Microsoft involved into this? Just curious.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    xuxoxux's Avatar Reader BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBoucher View Post
    You have been fined - does this mean you need to pay money, is Microsoft involved into this? Just curious.

Yes. Being fined means having to pay money. As stated earlier, Microsoft is not involved. He is just worried about tech guys finding out about the other stuff he has been sharing. ( From logs if they keep them. )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast