Thread: How should I handle these newzbin invite requests?

Hello!

Ofcourse I am new here but like what im seeing in terms of community, resource and general quality of FileSharingTalk

Im keen on being a member and helping out where I can hence my offer of newzbin invites in the main invite thread.

Since my offer i have received 6+ requests for invites which is fine, my concern is that it states in newzbin if any invited member turns out to be trouble I could potentially get banned aswell as them

And all of those requesting invites are FST n00bs (like me ofcourse ) with 1-2 posts and if I invite them its not exactly going to be known that im trying to help out rather than just asking for help all the time, only the invitees know i helped as its done via email.

Not looking for a gold star or overnight cred, just need some advice, should I just dish out the invites or be choosy who I give to, like those with more than 1-2 posts etc?

Initial reaction was just to invite until I seen newzbin message.

cheers dudes

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Ask a few questions of those who are asking for invites.

How long have they been using newsgroups?
    What news server do they use?
    Why do they want Newzbin?
    Are they aware they are required to pay for the service immediately after signing up?
    What do they hope to gain from Newzbin?
    Etc....

Asking some basic questions should help to weed out some of the douchebags.

yo

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Asking some basic questions should help to weed out some of the douchebags.
    Which most are and have no fracking idea what Newzbin is Ask them if they want the MPAA looking over them, that should but a stifle in them, then again, who knows anymore
    [center]

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    KeyboardCat
    Jimmy,

I am a young file-sharing n00b who is trying to learn a bit more about filesharing. In fact, I am writing a paper about it at school, and I am trying to get an account on newzbin to do some research. I'm sure you have plenty of people asking for invites... but I was wondering if you could consider me? I would greatly appreciate it, as I am really hoping to learn more about this subject and do well in my class.

-Colin

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Well Usenet isn't considered Filesharing, because it isn't Peer2Peer.

Torrent and ed2k and Gnutella are all ways of FileSharing....

Usenet is server based like Rapidshare, and is not considered by any stretch of the imagination P2P.

So if you get the invite do you know you have to pay for the service right after signing up?
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 06-05-2009 at 02:00 AM.
    [center]

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    newsgroupie
    I've never understood why Newzbin operates as an invite-only site. It should be obvious that MPAA moles have infiltrated the site, and that's the reason why Newzbin has been forced to remove so many of its NZBs.

There's hardly any point to continue limiting membership after a site has already been infiltrated by hostile forces. Judging by Newzbin's Alexa stats, it would appear the site might have already lost most of its paying customers.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Poster
    I find Newzbin to be less user friendly than other indexing sites and let my only 8 week subscription expire a long time ago. So in addition to what Skiz points out, I would ask potential invitees where they currently get their nzbs.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by liamdye View Post
    Could you send me an invite?

there is no need to flood the forums with 3 separate posts asking for an invite to newzbin.
    Last edited by ericab; 10-28-2009 at 03:33 AM.
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    liamdye
    They are all to different people. If I had the ability to PM I would.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by liamdye View Post
    They are all to different people. If I had the ability to PM I would.
    Your requests have nothing to do with the thread topics.

Please do not make random posts requesting an invite(s). In the past, this has caused far too much flooding from people requesting invites, essentially doing the same thing you are doing.

When someone has invites they wish to give away, they will make a thread doing so.
    Last edited by Skiz; 10-28-2009 at 06:28 AM.

yo