Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Longer NZB retention on FST?

newsgroupie
    Many usenet providers currently offer close to 300 days retention, and increasing daily to 365-400 days retention.

But FileSharingTalk's NZBs get deleted after only 70 or 75 days.

Would it be possible for FST to increase its NZB 'retention'?

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    I've wondered the same thing, ya'll need to ask the Tesco....but if I find one that's out of the limit, I just search it in Binsearch, but since the new NZB system got implemented, you can't download any of the NZB's older than a month anyway.
    [center]

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    newsgroupie
    I've been hopeful that the dreaded "Invalid nzb specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" error message that occurs whenever trying to grab a 30+ day old NZB will be fixed and those NZBs will return.

But it seems that FST's 75-day NZB 'retention' was established back when NNTP server retention was also around 75 days, and it's just never kept up with the usenet provider retention increases since then. Maybe there was a logical reason for that (database size limititaion, search engine load, etc.) - I don't know.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Its simply been chosen to keep it that way. With all the search engines it should be simple find things...

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Obviously someone chose to keep it that way. The question was if it could be made longer, if not, why.

As far as I remember, it has been a matter of space (read - lack of) to hold such an abundance of files.

yo

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    As far as I remember, it has been a matter of space (read - lack of) to hold such an abundance of files.
    I think I remember that too so I'm pretty sure that is the reason.

But now with user albums... Is it too much to ask? NZBs > albums

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Obviously someone chose to keep it that way. The question was if it could be made longer, if not, why.

Not anymore, Tesco said the way the system is setup it does not store the NZB anymore. So the lack of space is non essential now, which I guess my point is that space is not a concern.

The reason you cannot grab anything older than 30 days is because the way the new NZB system was placed in, anything older than 30 days is no longer valid due to the new system. So technically we should close all NZB posts over 30 days and repost them.
    [center]

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'm not exactly sure what the current retention is here, but it's definitely more than 30 days. It looks closer to 40.

yo

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I'm not exactly sure what the current retention is here, but it's definitely more than 30 days. It looks closer to 40.
    It used to be 75 but we lost all the older stuff when I converted to the new system.
    It would take a while to convert the older files and not really worthwhile. Anything that people want can be found on binsearch.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    binsearch has alot of junk in the searches tho'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast