Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ontologically speaking, how can GOD be proven

sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Practices like Buddhism make one look in themselves, not to any fake being. Don't pray for yourself, or anyone else. Instead, do something to make things how you want them: Take initiative.
    Could you please allow me to call you an idiot?
    How do you know you possess the DNA double helix given that you've never seen yours?
    How sure are you that darwin wrote the origin of species if you aren't the one who supplied him with ink?
    How sure are you that you were born by a human being and not through pollination of a he and a she avocado?
    How sure are you that live tv is live?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #102
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by sez View Post
    Practices like Buddhism make one look in themselves, not to any fake being. Don't pray for yourself, or anyone else. Instead, do something to make things how you want them: Take initiative.
    How do you know you possess the DNA double helix given that you've never seen yours?
    How sure are you that darwin wrote the origin of species if you aren't the one who supplied him with ink?
    How sure are you ♦that you were born by a human being and not through pollination of a he and a she avocado?
    Wow.

Deep, man.

Makes me question my faith or something.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #103
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    How sure are you ♦that you were born by a human being and not through pollination of a he and a she avocado?
    Wow.

Deep, man.

Makes me question my faith or something.
    I was gonna respond but I'm not even sure if I'm typing this..
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

4. The Drawing Room   -   #104
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

Sticks and stones etc. (I know you did not mean me but the phrase applies)

I don't, but I assume as I am like most other people who have proven the existence of DNA that I will be the same.

Same applies to parts of the Bible, Koran etc. How do you know that that those things happened, when you did not see them happen.

How sure are you that you were born by a human being and not through pollination of a he and a she avocado?
    I am definitely sure about this one; I have a dark green colour in the morning. I am pear shaped. I have rough skin and creamy flesh and I came from a family tree.

We never see anything live. Because of the time lapse, due to the speed of light, something could be dead by the time I see it. If the wee Martian jumps up and down you won't see the event till 22 minutes later. Assuming you are looking.

See what you have done. Now I have caught what you have. Go see a shrink or do you want me to make an appoiontment when I make one?

Kev@ Irony from an American?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #105
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    ^^Now why do i smell faith wrapped in phailed sarcasm?
    And i was merely responding to recursacro who apparently thinks faith is stupid.Something that in one way or another is in all of us.kapish?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #106
    ^^Now why do i smell faith wrapped in phailed sarcasm?
    And i was merely responding to recursacro who apparently thinks faith is stupid.Something that in one way or another is in all of us.kapish?
    If you could tell me what phailed sarcasm means then maybe I could reply to your allegations.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #107
    Ronnie Coleman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    The very nature of faith is the concept that proof is not required.

Ask yourself this, what is the point of a God whose existence is proven?
    Before anyone wrote anything more here... Read that quoted statement again.

It is matter of believing, not knowing.
    "Do well and you will have no need for ancestors." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

8. The Drawing Room   -   #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post

That makes it worse. The fact that people can kill for a belief.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #109
    Ronnie Coleman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    bigboab, people can kill for many reasons (grief, madness, money, sports...) but that is all different matter.

We are talking here, or at least we're trying, about God, religion, faith itself.
    "Do well and you will have no need for ancestors." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

10. The Drawing Room   -   #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post

A real God, that has been proven, would instill fear in those about to sin, and would give real hope to those looking for it. Faith would not be needed. Then I would worship him.

@Sez for all of those questions:
    I believe most of these because they are logical. I don't believe in some supreme being that created everything and was never created because it isn't logical.

Also, because I think that my mother (the lady that I think is my mother) conceived me has nothing to do with using a superior being as a crutch for the weak minded.

I don't go praying for someone else to make something happen for me. Especially when that thing would defeat all odds. (Winning the lottery, for instance)

With Faith, one becomes narrow-minded, and weak. Look at yourself. If someone sincerely told me that the woman I thought was my mother was not mine, I would take them into consideration. I obviously wouldn't believe them at first, but I would accept that it was a possibility. It's logical. I don't have some stubborn faith that locks me into a euphoric state of God-will-save-me.

Why not just wait until something has been proven to live your life by it? Why live your life on something that you're not completely sure is real? Sound like a group of people trying to control others...?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast